Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sun 28 May 2017 06:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2017 13:34 pm 

: --------------------
The one ship l have often wanted and have seriously thought of scratch building is the Invincible. And now my prayers have been answered. Richard a.k. Pinkus12001 at mini and beyond re shapeways has come with the goods. Yes the funnels need to be higher, the starboard front flight deck needs a sliver of plastic to make a straight edge and the front radar cover needs heightening but the rest is perfect. I would add a photo but I need some instruction on how?
Simon at a.k. MircoMaster shapeways continues to produce turrets and guns to replace some of the less well formed Airfix contributions which enable sister ships to be accurately modelled e.g. Rodney & Renown.
Ron at C.O.B. Has produced an excellent Agincourt which I am going to modify to her 1916 state.
And for Airfix and other 1:600 ships Steve at model_monkey is worth a visit. The point has been made that many of these models are very expensive but when you can pay over £60 for a Airfix Victor I think for one off's it's not bad value.
Happy 1:600 modelling!

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar 2017 08:20 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

: Moderator
: Group Build Guru
: Model Portfolio
Here's the link to the Mini and Beyond 1/600 HMS Invincible. Cost is AU$183.91 (£113.74) and is waterline only. At bit steep if you ask me!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/X9UGJ ... invincible

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar 2017 22:19 pm 

: --------------------
Another warship maker from shapeways is Amatuer Wargame Figures designed by Nomandier. These are upscaled from 1:1800 to 1:600 so lack detail and again due to shapways high profit gain are not cheap. However the dimensions are very accurate the type 23 l have purchased will need a fair bit of scatch building and the use of a sharp chisel to thin out the platforms but could be finished as a 2017 refit . The surface finish is the best shapeways model so far so no need of Mr Surfacer. I will save up and buy both the type 45 and Ocean. But I do take the point from many of the comments that you do need deep pockets, but when we have been starved by Airfix of new models in this scale for the last 35 years, and have shown no interest in loyal and committed modellers the 3D printing mob need our support!

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017 19:01 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

: Portfolio
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
sorry but not at those prices :roll:

Airfix sig member
Ex Royal Navy