Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 24 Aug 2017 00:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun 07 May 2017 02:02 am 
Green Star
Green Star

I'm waiting for an original boxing of this classic to arrive, which I'll build as the replica. Does anyone have any hints to help me build my first tallship?

Last edited by ZacYates on Thu 11 May 2017 07:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun 07 May 2017 20:36 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: Model Portfolio
Hi Zack,
The main ingredient is time; time & patience. Even for a plastic sailing ship kit. A careful eye on contemporary illustrations is the next thing, together with some good color photos of a real wooden vessel to show deck colors & all. I had the Time/Life book on The Explorers at my elbow while building my Airfix Endeavour, together with a couple of other generic sailing ship tomes.

Manual dexterity with tweezers & knives is useful, & I super-glue knots, then clip them short with fingernail clippers to avoid lots of loose ends sticking out everywhere.

-Lars

PostPosted: Thu 11 May 2017 07:36 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Thanks Lars, that's a big help. I plan on building the modern replica so that means I have access to a lot of reference material!

I've only ever built two ship kits - Titanic and Mauretania - so this will be a big learning curve. But I have a lot of experience so I'm not too daunted.

PostPosted: Sat 13 May 2017 02:51 am 
Green Star
Green Star

I'm also working on a Wingnut Wings model kit - would EZ-Line rigging thread (fine EZ Line Charcoal 0.15mm) be a good idea to use for this too? Or should I stick with the thread that comes with the kit?

PostPosted: Sat 13 May 2017 09:47 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
I'm no ship expert, but I remember reading about standing rigging and running rigging, how it was treated differently and that there were different thicknesses. I bought some suitable thread from a haberdasher's and used that alongside the kit supplied threads. Sorry I can't be more specific. I guess you'll have to do some reading too :smt024:

PostPosted: Sat 13 May 2017 10:27 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Thanks Ratch. In a vain attempt to find aftermarket I stumbled upon a rigging manual which I've saved for future reference - posted by Aidrian at Britmodeller.

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017 12:43 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Rigging sailing ships is an art unto itself and I would certainly not profess to be an expert but the principles are thus:

Standing rigging, which is fixed in place and tensioned by deadeyes, holds "things" in place, was usually tarred and was sized according to its task (so for example the shrouds (which support the uprights) are different thicknesses depending upon whether they are supporting the masts, the topmasts or the top gallants.

Running rigging is used for moving "things", such as yardarms, and is secured by hand on cleats. Extra purchase is achieved by reeving through wooden blocks. It is usually light brown in colour but that depends upon whether it was made from manila, sisal or hemp.

I found a useful link to the sizing here: http://adhenniebakker.nl/pdf_files/Draw ... tage-1.pdf. Now I concede that this is HMS VICTORY which is a much bigger ship that ENDEAVOUR and it is 1/72 so will need to be resized to 1/120 but it's a good starter for 10. the principles will be the same.

PostPosted: Tue 16 May 2017 06:31 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Thanks wookie! Every bit of help is...helpful!