Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 17 Aug 2017 00:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1:600 Warships reborn
PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec 2016 17:33 pm 

: --------------------
With the massive expansion of 3D printing there is now a wealth of both ships and accessories available. Shapeways which admittedly are not cheap provide a range of warships in 1:600 scale and accessories tailored to The Airfix range. The recent Falkland Warships which fill in the gaps left by Airfix have outstanding detail and the prospect of an Invincible in 1:600 is mouthwatering. Some you might have been exploring the range of 3D models from the USA which super-detail the Hotspur and Cossack. Atlantic Models are exploring restarting their Type 42 and even an Ark Royal IV! The prospect of 2017 is very exciting. To list a few of the examples from the Detailed Type 22 from 'Mini and beyond' to the very basic 1918 Argus from C.O.B. Construct and Miniatures via shapeways is to give a taste of what is avaiable. I have even discussed the prospect of a Dreadnought with one provider!

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 2017 04:41 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

: Moderator
: Group Build Guru
: Model Portfolio
I'm surprised by the number of 1/600 models at Shapeways! Just search for 1/600. Quite a few planes and US civil war ships in that scale.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 2017 19:24 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Steven Pietrobon wrote:
Just search for 1/600.
Sadly, the problem with that is that the search engine on the site is awful. I did exactly that and it produced 1275 pages. I tried to focus it more closely and tried "1/600 HMS" and it expanded to 1278 pages (because as far as I could tell it was searching for 1/600 and HMS and HM). I tried "HMS BOXER" and got another 18 pages which included such things as varied as Xbox controller frames, a Martian tripod without tentacles and 1/1000 English galleon but as far as I could tell, not a Batch 2 T22 anywhere in sight! I agree that for those of us who like 1/600 as the true 20th century warship scale, this could be the answer to a maiden's prayer since Airfix seem to have no interest in ever working in this scale again (or even perhaps ever doing any new mould warships again), but Shapeways will have to improve their search tool for it to take off.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan 2017 10:18 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

: Moderator
Yes, the Shapeway search engine is rubbish. Use Google to find what you want. Found a 1/1800 kit, but that is too small.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/MCSCJK ... h-2-1-1800

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan 2017 17:08 pm 

Now gentlemen since I put the original up, I feel responsible for putting you back on the right track. The following are the sites you need for 1:600 warships and accessories.
www.shapeways then the sites
For Airfix accessories : MicroMaster run by Simon which features every thing you need to build a perfect Ajax, KGV, Warspite etc. All the examples I have purchased are great. To give an example the Ajax bridge replacement is a piece of Art by itself. Simon wants to expand his range and I suggested a Dreadnought!
Model_Monkey run by Steve has many excellent accessories for Airfix and Aurora which I can recommend.
KokodaTrailModels feature both ships, planes and accessories all are to a high standard.
DutchFleetNaval Miniatures are mainly modern warships of which I have at least 15 including a very detailed Type 26!
MiniandBeyond run by Richard features mainly warships including his Falklands Fleet which has the fantastically detailed Type 22. Richard is working on HMS Invincible .
Silly by Echoco features very detailed planes and accessories.
C.O.B. ConstructsandMiniatures is run by Ron and he deals in 1:1800 but I persuaded him to double up the scale and while he will tell you they are then quite bulky they can be super detailed with a bit of work into really excellent models he has three Argus 1918, Hermes 1925 & Colossus 1945.
Finally this one is in the USA but is good value 3DModelparts.com producing outstanding singe 4.7 and twin 4.7 gun houses for Hotspur and Cossack plus an Ark Royal Twin 4.7 and smaller AA. Hope this all helps and do not forget Atlantic Models. Contact all these producers and encourage their productions and the scale will be reborn.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan 2017 17:10 pm 

It's not Silly its Silly by Echoco!

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan 2017 17:12 pm 

Silly by Echoco

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan 2017 17:35 pm 

Clearly the site will not accept certain letters in suggestive combinations so the site run by Echoco is the first letter of the following five words. Safe Normal Africa Fun Ugly no spaces not Silly!

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan 2017 22:47 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Only thing i saw looking at that was silly search engine then silly prices!!!

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2017 22:24 pm 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

: Group Build Leader
Yes. A myriad of things show up on the search. But this link might offer some help.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/m ... e-products

My Portfolio

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2017 23:35 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
I don't see 1/600 on their scale list Henrik :cry:

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017 00:35 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Ratch, Put 1:600 in the search box..... Then you find an interesting selection of 3d printed models at eye watering prices....

Stuart

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017 11:36 am 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

Ratch wrote:
I don't see 1/600 on their scale list Henrik :cry:
No. I couldn´t see it either, but it narrows down the hits. :smt024:

My Portfolio

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017 08:09 am 
Green Star
Green Star

I'm not a 'ship' person, but am having fun building the Airfix HMS Repulse.

'I see no ships' in the 2017 catalogue. I pressume the market for Airfix warship kits has disappeared. This seems a shame, but with other major manufacturers still in the field producing pricey 1/350th kits, would there be any demand for the 1/600 scale warships anyway. In the main they are older, less detailed kits. And with the last re-issues being in Series 5 and 6, pricy too.

Is Airfix right to restrict itself to military aircraft and military vehicles, which seems to be the case today? Would cheaper prices for old(er) kits result in greater sales potential? The cost of the moulds must have been written off by now so cheaper prices would seem to be an option?

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017 14:35 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
If you don't make a new tool 1/600 kit for more than 30 years you should not be surprised when the market loses interest :cry:

PostPosted: Wed 24 May 2017 10:51 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
I agree with Ratch. AIRFIX dropped the ball :hithead:
Long live 1/600 :yahoo:

PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2017 12:53 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Couldn't agree more. Partly the problem I think was Airfix's choice of models. To dedicated maritime fans like myself, the range offered some interesting subjects but 99% of the population have no idea what most of the kits represented. After all when the Director of Public Relations (Navy) commissioned a poll in about 2007 to ask the public if they knew the names of any Royal Navy warships, the vast majority could only list VICTORY.

In the 60s and 70s when all of the major Royal Navy dockyards opened their gates to Navy Days every year and 100,000+ people would go into each one over a 3 day bank holiday weekend and most families knew someone who had been in the Navy, there was a fighting chance of selling AJAXs, LEANDERs, TIGERs or DEVONSHIREs. I still cannot understand why no-one, Airfix included, modelled ARK ROYAL IV on the back of the highly successful BBC TV series Sailor which was watched by audiences of 8 million + in the late 1970s and she was arguably the most famous ship in the world. These days, sadly, I think the only ones they are likely to sell in the sort of numbers that makes the cost of even setting up the moulds and squirting in some plastic are VICTORY, BELFAST, HOOD and BISMARCK and of those only BELFAST is worth the money. Give someone whose never made a ship model before a BISMARCK and the inaccuracies and appalling fit issues will mean he/she is unlikely ever to try again.

I'd take 40+ LEANDER class frigates tomorrow if I could lay my hands on them as the hull can be used for LEANDER, ROTHESAY and WHITBY class conversions and with a bit of extra work even CAT and CATHEDRAL class. But I recognise that there are far more people out there who want to buy yet another Spitfire and so my supply of kits is now limited to second hand from model shows and "stash traders".

What I don't understand, and I am open to any suggestions as to why this is the case, is why do I see almost every month in Airfix Model Word yet another Japanese destroyer or cruiser coming out from the Asian manufacturers. I know that there is a large modeling fraternity in Japan but I would be surprised if it is bigger than UK and yet they obviously seem to think there is a market or they wouldn't do it.

PostPosted: Wed 31 May 2017 17:09 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

@Wookie - I'd add the Cutty Sark to your list of the "weel kent", but only because you already have Victory on it.