Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sun 24 Sep 2017 11:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jul 2017 17:35 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: Portfolio
I'm working on a post war HMS Eagle and am wondering what color were the non-flight deck horizontal surfaces? Was it the same light grey as the vertical surfaces or was it the predominant color of the flight deck, be it green or grey?

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul 2017 13:30 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Very difficult question to answer as it is almost impossible to find colour photos of the decks in a carrier other than the flight deck. Most RN warships in the 50s & 60s had decks other than flight decks painted dark green (Hu30 is not an unreasonable match allowing for scale) and I would expect them to be that colour, possibly a dark grey (Hu27 or Vallejo London grey) but less likely as the changeover to dark grey camrex decks came in the very late 1970s early 1980s. The quarterdeck will be natural teak.

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul 2017 20:16 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: Portfolio
FWIW, in subsequent research I found some color videos on utube of the Eagle and other post war carriers on "ops". 99% of the shots are of the flight deck with some of the hangar deck, but in a few of the shots taken on approach you can make out that the horizontal non-flight deck surfaces are not the same shade of grey as the vertical surfaces around them. It appears to be the same color as the lighter of the two greys on the flight deck. Given shadows, possible old film color shift, etc, that may not be correct. However, I'm pretty sure anyway that they were not the same shade as the vertical surfaces.

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017 03:46 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Were they green lino?

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017 11:59 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: --------------------
@Brews - I presume from that question that you don't know how slippery wet linoleum is!

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017 20:40 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Weren't WWII destroyers' decks red/brown lino? It depends on the texture, surely. Also, I know how slippery wet steel is, by the way :)

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul 2017 23:56 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Model Portfolio
IIRC the decks had a Cortizone coat in green or rusty brown :think: I'm sure someone will correct any error in my statement :geek:

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jul 2017 13:33 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Ron Bell wrote:
FWIW, in subsequent research I found some color videos on utube of the Eagle and other post war carriers on "ops". 99% of the shots are of the flight deck with some of the hangar deck, but in a few of the shots taken on approach you can make out that the horizontal non-flight deck surfaces are not the same shade of grey as the vertical surfaces around them. It appears to be the same color as the lighter of the two greys on the flight deck. Given shadows, possible old film color shift, etc, that may not be correct. However, I'm pretty sure anyway that they were not the same shade as the vertical surfaces.
I can guarantee that the non-flight deck weather decks were not ship's side grey. The same dark grey as used on the non-landing area of the flight deck is a distinct possibility.

Ratch wrote:
IIRC the decks had a Cortizone coat in green or rusty brown :think: I'm sure someone will correct any error in my statement :geek:
The stuff you're thinking of is corticene (I think that's the right spelling). It was a chocolate brown linoleum type material sometimes held down with brass strips, sometimes glued to the deck. It was used extensively in destroyers and to a much lesser degree in cruisers and capital ships (which of course traditionally had teak decks) but was replaced towards the end of the war by a vinyl based paint called semtex (the forerunner of camrex) which was generally dark green in colour but there were variations as it was made by different manufacturers. It was popular with the lower ranks because it provided a much higher degree of grip than corticene but disliked by officers who felt that semtex decks never looked as clean as corticene.