Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Wed 20 Sep 2017 01:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb 2011 15:02 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

Twinpotter wrote:
It appears in 4D's photos that the engines are painted three colours - feeder assembly atop the nozzle a gun metal(ish) finish, the upper nozzle above the manifold Steel(91) and the lower nozzle below the manifold Silver(90). Is this correct? Them my question is what colour was used on the feeder assembly? I'm tempted to go with my instincts and paint this Gun Metal. Or mix something up.

This may help with the engines, but 4D's look spot on! ...

http://www.customreplicas.com/accurate_ ... ision.html

If I could afford it, I'd buy one of those model F1 engines, but £153.87 plus p&p from the U.S.A. is a bit steep just now!  :idea:

Model Madness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb 2011 08:58 am 

Indeed Alan thanks, I have these images. My F1 engines and the base along with additional gubbins are done. This all took quite a while but I'm chuffed to bits with the result - especially with the inner nozzle paintwork. Pics to follow.

I've also had to play around with the S1-B tubular stuff on the upper section. The plastic wrap holes are punched badly off but a wee trim of the card and the Systems channel/inner brace and a filing back of the pin recesses fixed all that, albeit making the stage/model 3mm shorter. Tight as the proverbial, the dry built is off to one side ready for gluing and bracing; that is for the next session.

Mmm, those CR models are tasty. I hope they release the LM 1/32 kit.  :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar 2011 17:42 pm 

Hi folks

My Stage S1-C is built. After scouring the interweb for detail, photos and the like I managed to compile a treasure chest of stuff that has proved invaluable for the build but just keeping track of all the photos and docs is a bit of a mare. Of note, I found the work of Martin Schwebs Rasmussen hugely inspiring (one can see his 1:48 mastery at http://spacemodels.dk). I also came to realize that variations in the Saturn V launch vehicles are varied and numerous and in the end I decided not to build a rep of the Apollo 11 LV, rather just build it and have a great time. Here goes.

Since I began on the F1’s, I’ll start there. I filled the inner Nozzles out with wood filler and sanded them down smooth then lined the top section and finished the nozzle feed area with some wee plastic disks to close it off.  I painted this top half of the nozzle inner with a coppery green effect as seen on numerous photos of the F1s.

I added some detail to the external, notably a manifold brace (a thin strip of plasticard wrapped tight (ish) around and snipped when dry and for the tricky bit, I added the external pipes (2) that extend down the nozzle. For this, I used 1mm solder (lead free, of course) and used slices of tubing to attach them to the nozzle exterior. There were actually two pipes per run on the real F1s but I couldn’t find the right stuff to pull that off and as is often the case, our scale is prohibitive. And I went for red piping.

Now the base. I note that the three grilles were blanked off but I left them as is and further I left the air intake vents on and added with 4 link pipes (white paper clips) and used pre-painted slices of plastic rod for the eight wee caps shown on the base. As the base had a propensity to flex at the centre so I reinforced the base  with a simple cross-member for a firmer result.

Fairings up next. These I pondered over for a while and went a bit mad. I filled the air intake recesses (white wood filler again), smoothed them down, added a couple of ribs (onto which I could mount the fairing braces) and decided to add some half-moons to give a nice inner finish. These also gave me more adhesive purchase on the tubed section and offered a firm square fitting for the fins, which I repainted all silver later.

On with the fairings and then the F1’s.

And here’s the ‘money shot’.

I won’t bother detailing the tubing section other than mention that I cut the rolling overlap under the systems tunnel and as 4D did, smoothed the join over and pained it. I also added some of the external bits such as the range and telemetry antennas and the access hatches and umbilicals – all simple to do.

Now the LOX Tank and forward skirt seemed a little lame in the kit so I went mad once again.

I added ribs (cut circles out of circles to form these) and members (on the upper row only I might add) and made some instrument boxes (with modelling clay). I found some cool docs that defined placement for Telemetry and Range Safety units, two battery units as well as the Safety Arming Device (didn’t bother with the CDF Tees) and a Flight Termination Receiver.

I also added the LOX vents (the bendy bits of drinking straws!), the level probe pipe (looks unnecessarily Flash Gordon perhaps) and the Strobe Light ditties all mounted on a Lufthansa painted dome.

I’m now on the Interstage and SII and I’ve gone nuts again. I’ve already cut the middle out of the SII base shell, smoothed off the long flutes and made more precise fairings (like 4D) and begin to make the bracing and tubing for the J2’s - something that looks more like that of the aforementioned 1:48 build (well, why not?).

It’s working out pretty well so far despite the scale but it will probably take more time to do than the first stage. I'm intending to make this SII stage look the absolute business. That and on completion I have decided to lay the model separated and horizontal so interested folks can put it together. :D

I've learned many a lesson on this first stage (and I've made a fair few mistakes along the way) especially while re-aquainting myself with some fine rock tunes foot-drumming and all (this week it is Extreme III Sides to Every Story :D) which can be a problem on fine stuff. But this return to modelling is proving a fine and rewarding experience.

While I do all this I am seriously considering buying David Week’s plans to build the 1:48! :D Mmm

More later. Best regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar 2011 19:06 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

:blob: :blob: :blob: ... That is looking fabulous, Twinpotter!  Some great details added there!  What colour did you use for the dome of the LOX Tank?  I can't make my mind up!  Some of the photos I have seen seem to show it as a yellow/green colour, but that could be the lighting.

I can't wait to see your progress on S-II! ... Great stuff! :notworthy:

Model Madness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar 2011 20:28 pm 
Ayup All...

I can Honestly say, that if ever there was a contest for 'The most exciting work you can do to detail a kit' then the Saturn V would win, IMO. All of the builds showcased for this subject are simply Outstanding... The attention to detail simply Magnificent by all Building this kit...

Well done all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar 2011 10:16 am 

Hiya Tang
tangfastico:310410 wrote:
What colour did you use for the dome of the LOX Tank? I can't make my mind up!

Ha, ha, couldn't make my mind up either for a bit. I used Lufthansa Yellow, Revell #310. Photos of the LV being stacked show the LOX tank covered by dark jackets so I based my selection on the Sep Video of the Apollo 4 flight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJIY4n5oXjc) and that of Mr Rasmussen's build (http://spacemodels.dk/saturnv/s-ic/s-ic.htm).
Thanks for the positive feedback.  :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011 11:23 am 

hi,

I'm about to give these builds a go, starting with the columbia/eagle model, then moving on to the Saturn V. However, i really have no idea as to what colours to use, and don't really feel a great urge to spend 100s of pounds experimenting and trying to find out which colours are best for the model. If anyone could give me an idea as for which Revell colours to use, and on what, that would be fantastic.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011 09:36 am 

Sorry, that was extremely vague, to be more specific, I was referring to the details, such as the colours of the liquid oxygen tanks etc
Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011 09:54 am 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

Hi cal,

I'm about to do the Columbia/Eagle myself - at the risk of a silly question but have you opened the box yet? The Revell instructions are usually pretty good with colour references at the front. They list which paints you need if you're doing it OOB, my Columbia/Eagle has three paints included, one of which is gold, which is handy. If the instructions don't have the info you require, I'd suggest a trip to the NASA website, I'm sure they have a gallery of old spacecraft. If not, Google Images, there's bound to be pictures of it out there somewhere.

Let us know if you find any good links by posting in the Reference section. (And introduce yourself in the Welcome forum too :))

cheers,
Alex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2011 21:08 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

cal:378581 wrote:
If anyone could give me an idea as for which Revell colours to use, and on what, that would be fantastic.

Hi cal
I did extensive research on the Saturn V and Eagle LEM but the colours are not that easy to ascertain. Engines are fairly straight forward, I used gun metal for the dark parts (see my photos in this thread) steel for the top of the F1 engine bell, silver for the bottom and polished aluminium for the piping including the thick pipe between the top and bottom. The J2 engines are white with steel or aluminium stripes. The top of the tanks tend to be aluminium in colour but early footage of Apollo 4 clearly shows a yellow tank top of stage 1. This may not be true for Apollo 11. The ascent stage of the LEM is grey /green (see also http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewcardtopic.php?t=19208 and http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/sutra234102.php#234102) but you could get a way with silver/grey.
Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct 2011 15:58 pm 

Hi all,

thanks to 4D and adesalis, no, i hadnt opened the box; it was still in the post at the time of me asking. I thought i would be extremely bright and have these two as my first two builds. i'm doing ok but have made several mistakes... put on decor stickers AFTER finishing the model! Anyway, i visited Kennedy Space Center in August, and have just found a few pictures that could be of a help to people, i was going to post some, but i will remove them if you would prefer.

Cheers.

I'll post them later!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct 2011 19:26 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

I always put decals on last - where did this trip you up at it might stop me making the same mistake :).

Re the pics, as long as _you_ took them, it should be fine. Post them here - I think you'll need a new topic.
http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/forum68.php

cheers,
Alex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct 2011 21:41 pm 

Hi Alex

I did take the pictures, along with my dad.
I finished the command module, and stuck on the decals, however, later in the process, working on .the lunar module, I accidentally splashed little paint on it. When painting over this splash, I somehow managed to streak a line of the number 99 straight over the decals. That kind of thing really annoys me. However, this is my first build, it's almost like a training run for me!  Thanks for all the help. I think I might buy another kit again, and utilise mistakes that i have made to make a much more professional looking kit.
I'll upload the pictures tomorrow, I expect.

Cheers,

Callum.

Post subject: Re: Revell 1/96 Saturn V
PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013 03:50 am 

: --------------------
Fantastic job on the Revell Saturn Vs ! You gave me lots of good ideas to finish some extra details. I just finished building most of 2 vehicles SA-500F and SA-506. Working on the little LEM now and was trying to figure out how to make the RCS plume deflectors. Great idea for the straws. And for the F1 inside finishing. Really enjoyed your post.

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013 03:52 am 

: --------------------
PS for the LEM masking, I cut small pieces of masking tape, positioned with tweezers and then rub down the edge. Did small sections at a time and got some nice clean lines.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2013 08:10 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

: Moderator
: Group Build Guru
: Model Portfolio
For the plume deflectors, I made mine from paper.