Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Fri 22 Sep 2017 16:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec 2011 23:54 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

As I mentioned in the post above when I got home I thought I would compare the Airfix Interceptor with my unpainted Imai one, and here are some comparison photos of the two.
The Imai one was built in the 80s and never finished... it was put away where it has turned an ivory colour for some weird reason (no I don't smoke).

I prefer the shape of the Imai kit, but the nose is just wrong.  It needs to be much longer.
Although not shown both kits suffer from shallow canopies.

Incidentally, I rescribed all of the Imai panel lines to match the raised ones on the model.  You can also see that I added detail to the cockpit rear and added a shroud for the instrument panel.  All things I'll need to do for the Airfix model.

You can also see the false canard on the Airfix one.  This kit is still a snap-together kit, with the skids, pilot and canopy being the only non-snap parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec 2011 13:42 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Interesting to see them side by side, I built the Imai one earlier this year (see gallery http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.o ... nterceptor ) I find it surprising that when seen on their own your braing automatically assumes they are identical.....All we need now is for some pictures of the real thing to be posted for comparison. To my recollection apart from the nose the Imai one looks more correct....but I could be wrong its been a while since a fantisised over Destiny and Harmony (oops thats another story from my youth....LOL)

Birderman
London,UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec 2011 14:08 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

This shows the shape of the puppet scale Interceptor's canopy.  Both Airfix and Imai have this too shallow in shape.

http://mikecane.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/gadocu009.jpg

This drawing was made from one of the actual studio miniatures, so is about as accurate as any profile we are likely to see outside of a good side-on photo.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sfx_films/PRUntitled-7.JPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan 2012 11:52 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

I had several of these years ago, and tried several paint schemes, and underwing weapon stores, etc., and what looked superb was a basic splinter camouflage scheme [dark blue, sea grey and green, if memory serves]. Also removal of the canard, and filling the space, and using good old rub-down transfers for the 'WAF' ident. Gerry Anderson's shows seemed to have used 'WAF' [World Air Force] 'WAAF' [World Army Air Force], and, in Thunderbirds, 'IAF', presumably 'International Air Force'
Remember also, that the Angel Interceptor was a development of the earlier 'Viper' fighter, and so, there is a lot of scope for conversions. It does look really hard with a pair of Matra rocket pods under the wings, by the way.
A conversion that I never had the bottle to attempt with this kit, was the [fictional] MiG-242 from 'Most Special Agent', the pilot episode of 'Joe 90' Yes, several of the old Angel interceptor props were converted into convincing Eastern Bloc superfighters - launched from ramps, and with wheeled undercarriage. If you want to see Angel Interceptors in other schemes, I urge you to look at this site: http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk - Look at his fantasy gallery It'll make your day! The US Coastguard Angel Interceptor is my favourite... Oh, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan 2012 12:12 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

I've seen those before... military Stingray and SPVs are stunning, and the IJA Fireball XL5 is amazingly believable in that scheme.
Shows that Anderson's SF craft still look beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb 2012 20:56 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

This the little Konami Angel Interceptor.  It's about half the size of the Airfix and Imai kits, but is absolutely spot on for shape and proportion, and the canopy is even the correct shape.

I think it's time Airfix retooled the kit to give it a much sharper, more delicate nose, some cockpit detail and the correct shape of canopy... and a FEMALE pilot  :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb 2012 09:53 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Oh, those Konami models are sublime! What astonishes me, is that they are issued from vending machines, complete with a tiny pack of sweets! You have no idea what you'll get until you wrench the box open. The models are possibly the BEST reproductions of Anderson Tech anywhere. Thunderbird 1 has geared opening wings, and is weathered correctly: Thunderbird 2 has a removable pod, with the correct rear door: Thunderbird 3 is in the correct proportion: Thunderbird 4 has a fully detailed cockpit, with a painted and detailed Gordon Tracy at the helm. I've not got many, as their price shot up a while back - Space: 1999's Mk. IX Hawk has been seen offered on an auction site for over £30! Luckily, I have one, and the ESRO Eagle, for a lot less than that. My favourite, though, is from the 1979 movie 'Alien'. It's a replica of the 'Nostromo'. It is on a diorama base as it has just landed on LV-432. It's perfect in every detail, and yet is barely three inches long. Someone should open a thread on these little beauties!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb 2012 20:38 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Whenever I go to Japan I come back with armloads of these little models, and they normally retail between Y400 and Y600.  
I have most of the first Thunderbirds set, a few of the pod vehicles set (the hangar display series), two from Captain Scarlet, three complete Godzilla sets, and a few Ultraman and other models from various sets.

They are sold in toy shops, model shops, supermarkets and convenience stores over there, and cover every genre you can think of.
One of the latest sets I bought was the F-Toys cold war fighters set... I wanted the Lightning but kept getting MiG21s hahaha
I also have JASDF Sabres and a small collection of Japanese AFVs and helicopters, all in 1/144 scale.

As Brian said the detail on the Anderson models has to be seen to be believed.  I mean the helijet from Thunderbirds is so accurate you can tell which model parts were used on the original.