Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Wed 20 Sep 2017 04:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 07 Nov 2012 18:58 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Hi, I thought it may be  interesting to those sci-fi modellers who liked the slightly forgotten TV series "Space: Above and Beyond" that Larson Designs is doing two kits from that movie - SA-43 Hammerhead fighter and ISSCV transport  vessel. I bought the latter to compliment my team of freshly bought and reviewed space soldiers (here: http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.o ... highlight=). It is  supposed to be a 1:72 scale model which is not, and this is my only concern with this kit.

The package arrived today, 20 pieces of  resin in plastic bag. No instruction  (not really needed) and no decals (as described). Parts  have to  be worked on - sanding and filling will be a regular part of the building session (if not  the main one).

The main problem is the aforementioned scale. It is by no means 1:72 - one can easily google the dimensions and the schematics to compare with human body. To me it looks more like 1:100, the X-wing  pilot next  to a cockpit is 1:110 (or something like that - from  Revell pocket kit) while the  latter two pilots are 1:72 (they were supposed to pilot  this  one):

Main modules look like that when put together (again, they are too small for 1:72):

The kit costs 40 USD plus postage from US (in my case it was 58 USD incl. postage to Poland). For a fan this is not much - the kit is of decent quality. But  it is something of a disappointment when we order this kit to a larger project (for example, diorama). I now know I will have to scratchbuild mine.