Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Wed 20 Sep 2017 01:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2007 13:45 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Thanks for the positive comments guys....I feel I should get around to finishing my other Alien kits...I still have the Alien 3 Creature, Space Jockey and Nostromo to build.
I also have another Dropship which is being built with ramp open, gear down and pods deployed...so far I've scratch built the interior behind the ramp but then stalled at the enormity of the task ahead not least of which is replacing the shockingly bad undercarriage.
Another kit worth mentioning in this thread is the Halcyon Predator...one of the best Predator figures released in my opinion but not for the faint hearted...all those separate dreadlocks....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2007 16:14 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Beaufighter wrote:
In the film the APC is supposedly able to hold at least 10 fully equipped marines, with room for Hudson to stroll around, for the stowage of at least 4 robot sentry guns, and for spare ammo and weapons. It also has a driver's cab and turret on the front and another turret on the the back.
The APC is built around an aircraft tug and definitely won't hold 10 marines - its all the film makers' illusion. The documentary on the DVD is quite good with these details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2007 00:06 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Yeah, this is the problem...the internal, external, full-scale mockup and model shots are mutually inconsistent.

When I built my dropship it was feasible to fit a pilot's seat in but the headrest was touching the inside of the canopy. So no pilot figure was possible. In one scene in the film it appears that there is room to the left of the seat - presumably to get in and out of it - but no way was this evident on the kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2007 02:50 am 
Green Star
Green Star

The seats supplied with the Dropship kit are overscale and very poor...the seats in a Hasegawa Starfighter Trainer are almost an exact match for the ones in the movie...they may even be the exact same type used.
They are the correct scale and as such allow for room at one side to climb out. I also replaced the floor and added instrument panels. I left out the pilots as this is Dropship 02 which was piloted remotely by Bishop on the ground.
You can see the cockpit on these two pics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2007 09:37 am 
Green Star
Green Star

I bought one in the early 90s when I got back into the hobby. It wasn't very good and the decals were damaged. I did have a go at a cockpit and used a stock USAF pilot (seated) from Hasegawa and some plasticard for the cockpit back wall.

I picked up another a few years back but haven't start it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec 2007 10:45 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

It's worth good  money on the 'bay if you think you never will.

Now you mention it, I remember having trouble with the decals too. IIRC, the red strips disintegrated.

Interesting tip about the seats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2008 15:48 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

By a strange coincidence my Halcyon Dropship finishes on Ebay in a few hours, been stuck on £36 for a while, staggered if I get £50 :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=003

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2008 17:21 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Entirely possible. You've got 3 noobs bidding against one another, so every chance that 2 of them will get all excited and try to overpay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan 2008 22:17 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

£37, not bad, should help towards my model building come back with the Nimrod :wink:

(must learn to count :oops: )

Last edited by Dr Strangelove on Mon 28 Jan 2008 19:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2008 01:27 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

: Moderator
: Group Build Guru
: Model Portfolio
Sold for £37.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 28 Jan 2008 02:07 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Is the one in item 220195695665 the same kit in a different box?

Post subject: Nostromo instructions
PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep 2011 23:54 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

I have a partial completed Nostromo model thats been hanging around for a while now (like since six months after its release!).  I want to finish it but the instructions have gone walkabout.  I can put the main components together but I need some help with the positioning of the plethora of aerials.  CAn anyone let me have a scan of the instructions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011 02:00 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Hi All,

Thanks to Jargonking for inspiring me to finally start the power loader kit, have to agree that it is a very nice item.

I have posted a thread on the Decals section regarding the sorry state  of the sheet for my power loader kit. Does anyone out there have a clean sheet for the kit that they could scan for me please?  

The kit is a nice build and it is at the stage where it is looking very yellow, but without the decals it's: "Game over man. Game over."

Thanks,

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2011 07:00 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: Model Portfolio
feanor:71588 wrote:
Ayup Beau...

I guess its the same with all films. In reality you probably couldn't swing anything, let alone a cat, round in most craft, so walls have to 'expand' and 'contract ' with the cameras point of view...

Plus i guess scale comes into it when a director wants something to look 'heavy' and robust, or light and delicate. i allus wanted a real Dropship to be developed though. the out-folding rocket launchers/wings are seriously cool... donchyathink? 8-)

In Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", there's a notorious (among those who notice or care about such things...) scene where one of the characters walks down a long passageway...for which there isn't really room inside Nautilus to begin with..., steps around a 90-degree corner, & walks down another long passageway!

Hollywood motorboats & sailboats are famous for having several times more room inside than the exterior can possibly enclose; it's no surprise their "space" ships (ha-ha!) are the same.

-Lars