Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 27 Apr 2017 12:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 10:29 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

: --------------------
Hi all. Not sure if this is in the right place and I apologise if it isn't (admin can move to the correct area if incorrect).

Does anyone have any tips or ideas for removing decals that have been removed from a model kit and stuck to the masking tape when removing masking tape (Tamiya)?
Unfortunately, I added decals to my Mini Countryman kit, left them to set for a few days and then taped the body to the chassis whilst the glue was setting. When it came to removing the tape, some parts of some decals came off and were stuck to the tape.
I've tried softening the tape using water and warm water but the decals are still stuck.

Any hints or tricks for getting them off so I can place them back on the kit would be great.
Thanks.

Builds on the bench & My portfolio

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 12:04 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

I fear that this may be terminal Nick, for not only do you have the problem of removing the decals from the tape, there is the further problem of, having got them off, reattaching them seamlessly to the model, which I fear would not be easy.
For the first part, I think I wold try to get something like a very thin knife blade, or razor blade perhaps, between tape and decal and try to lift it that way; but not yet... wait to see if someone else comes up with a better solution below, as it is likely that if that suggestion doesn't work, it will destroy the decal. Depending on the size and colour of the gaps left, it may be possible to touch them up with paint. This can look OK from a distance and better than nothing, but not really satisfactory
If it were me, I'd be trying 1) to beg/borrow/steel a new decal sheet, or 2) check for aftermarket alternatives, (1/32 is not well served here) or 3) if all else fails, a fictional model with your own scheme.
It's easy to be wise after the event, but I confess I always try to stick to the old technique of leaving the application of decals as late as possible in construction, admittedly more difficult these days when the fashion is to coat models with more and more layers of exotic and expensive stuff, usually with an airbrush. Against this, you could argue that if there had been a few layers of clear, or similar, on the body shell, the decals would have been less likely to lift in the first place.
Best of luck anyway.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 12:30 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Hmmm. That's a thorny one. I'd be putting it down to experience...

If you really want to try recovering the decals you could soak the tape and decals for an extended period in warm water to see if the tape eventually disintegrates? It just might do if it is paper based. You could also try an alcohol such as meths or isopropyl alcohol to dissolve the tape adhesive. Then you are left with the problems noted above - getting the decal pieces back into place.
Depending on the complexity of the decals in question I would try masking and painting the missing pieces. Obviously not masking on top of the existing decals...

Let us know how you go!

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 12:50 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks for the input guys.
I do think that it's the end for the decals. They've now been soaking for 6 hours and they still won't budge.
Unfortunately, masking and painting the affected areas wont be possible as it is mainly the checkerboard flag decal down the sides that have been affected the most. The windscreen decal (sun visor) has also been badly affected as have the driver names in the rear door windows.
What annoys me most is that I'd done really well with this particular model and only had the wheels, spoiler and mirrors left to attach.
It may be a case of having to purchase another kit of the same model and start again.
The only way I could possibly make this model redeemable is by applying a lot of weathering effects to hide the missing decals.
Mind you, with it being a rally car, they do get incredibly dirty so it's looking more likely that I will have to do that.

Thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 12:56 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Sorry Nick - a hard lesson learned. It might still be worth trying some gentle solvent to dissolve the adhesive though?
I'd be tempted to try painting the decals free hand and see how it went. You can always weather afterwards if you don't like it...

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 13:20 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I would suggest a drop of enamel paint thinner. That dissolves the glue on the tape and the decal should come off. Use a mild thinner like white spirit or naphta. I woul suggest not to use Humbrol or Revell enamel thinners as these are more aggressive.

I sometimes use double-sided tape to hold small parts and when they are really stuck or too fragile, I use the same method to remove them.

For re-applying the decals you can try to stick them on with some clear paint. Gloss, satin or matt. Depending on the finish of the model.

Erik.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 14:39 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

If it's just the black and white parts - that at least removes the problem of colour matching. You can buy solid blocks of decal in all colours, although this might prove more expensive than buying a new kit! Or have a sort through your old decals box for some solid blocks of colour and cut to shape as best you can. Should be straightforward for the square chequers; looking at pics of the model, it looks as if there are curves towards the back which will be more tricky. Otherwise I agree with pandrew, have a go at painting them, then weather the joins.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 14:57 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks again everyone. Unfortunately it is the curved areas of the decals towards the back that have been affected so it would not be easy to mask and paint the shapes.

Unfortunately, I don't have any enamel thinner, I only have acrylic thinner and it's Humbrol.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 16:34 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Sorry done the same trick myself, (read my foreth coming WIP thread :shrug: ). Ended up applying a new decal over the remnants of the old one.
Mike

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 18:33 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Nick
Been there - done that - and even managed a partial save, so don't give up hope.

Take a look here for how I managed the partial save.

Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr 2017 02:19 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks Ian. I don't have any decal sheet but, after many days of soaking in water and thinner, the decal has loosened up enough to be removed (albeit in smaller pieces). At least the windscreen will have the web address across the top now.
I'm going to try the same thing with the chequerboard decals and the driver names and see what happens.
I guess if it works, any small gaps between the pieces of decal can be masked with weathering.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr 2017 02:28 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: Portfolio
Try using alcohol instead of just water. That's what you would use to remove adhesive residue. Probably should test it first on an unusable part of the decal to make sure it doesn't harm it.