Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Fri 26 May 2017 10:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Removing Chrome
PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016 10:58 am 
Black Star
Black Star

: --------------------
Has anybody discovered how to remove the chrome from the newer Airfix Bentley Model yet?? I too have tried to remove the chrome following all the above the suggestions but with no luck. The model will just have to sit in the attic until such time...

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016 12:30 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Did you follow the idea that it might have been coated in Klear (if so, Airfix must have found a way to make their formula work for them, even if it still seems very hit-and-miss for us ordinary modellers) and remove that first (i.e. ammonia dip, wash, caustic soda dip/bath, wash, toothbrush)? If that didn't work, there's always the glass-fibre brush option - tedious, but effective (all of which begs the question why you want to remove the chrome in the first place - manufacturers normally use it on parts that are meant to be chrome-plated anyway).

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016 17:03 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

clogger wrote:
Has anybody discovered how to remove the chrome from the newer Airfix Bentley Model yet?? I too have tried to remove the chrome following all the above the suggestions but with no luck. The model will just have to sit in the attic until such time...

Threre is only one (and I mean really only one :D ) way for me to remove fake chrome from plastic parts: to give the parts a 24-48 hours "bath" in brake fluid. Must be DOT 3 or higher # (because of the ingredients), but any brake fluid even the cheapest one from a dollar store will do the job.
For some groves, panel lines etc. one may need to clean the chrome with a toothbrush, soft wooden pick (e.g. mini cocktail sticks) etc., but the rest usually goes down just by rinsing with clean water. This was my experience over the last 7-8 years.
ImageImage
ImageImage
P.S. I use this method to remove not only chrome but (almost) any coating from plastic models: paint, primer, transparent varnishes etc. Works even on die-cast models with their thick multiple coats of paint/lacquer, but needs eventually more time and fluid.

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016 18:11 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Dordogne Dodger wrote:
Did you follow the idea that it might have been coated in Klear (if so, Airfix must have found a way to make their formula work for them, even if it still seems very hit-and-miss for us ordinary modellers) and remove that first (i.e. ammonia dip, wash, caustic soda dip/bath, wash, toothbrush)? If that didn't work, there's always the glass-fibre brush option - tedious, but effective (all of which begs the question why you want to remove the chrome in the first place - manufacturers normally use it on parts that are meant to be chrome-plated anyway).

Often they also 'chrome' parts that would never have been chromed on the original.

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016 18:35 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

: Model Portfolio
Dordogne Dodger wrote:
which begs the question why you want to remove the chrome in the first place - manufacturers normally use it on parts that are meant to be chrome-plated anyway).

My AMT Batmobil had a whole tree of chrome parts. The real car from the movie had non.
So bleach was my way to go.

Jesper.

My Portfolio Update: 28/feb/2016

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016 20:03 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

You also need to remove it if you're planning on dealing with any mould lines on the parts, but yeah there's often plenty of parts that get put on the chrome sprue when they're actually bare metal or polished metal on the real thing - engine blocks are one of the glaring ones, you might get the odd car with a chrome distributor cap or cylinder head cover, but the entire block?

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016 21:42 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

It is true that blocks are often chrome polished rather than actually chrome dipped (plated), but if a decent polishing shop has done the job you would be hard pushed to tell the difference in real life, let alone on a scaled-down model. By the time you've bolted on chromed sump, manifolds, timing cover, water pump, fuel pump, fan, and header covers believe me, there are so many reflections in the engine compartment, chromed or polished parts all look equally bright and equally shiny - just the way a good build should be. So yes, you can strip your model back to bare plastic (which in my experience, from scraping contact surfaces before I learnt to trust superglue, is often a particularly lurid colour on chromed sprues). But then you've got to prime, undercoat, and spray severals topcoats of chrome on everything, just to get a finish which is probably inferior to the one the manufacturer offered. I really don't understand why people bother!

PostPosted: Fri 19 May 2017 12:47 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

I leave chrome parts soaking in undiluted bleach and within half an hour the chrome has dissolved. No need for any scrubbing. Just rinse off and dry. I have done this a few times in order to use alclad chrome which seems to give a much better scale finish. I have had mixed results that you can see in my picture gallery posts.

PostPosted: Sat 20 May 2017 21:04 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

same as Kaplinski