Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 21 Sep 2017 23:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stash - why?
PostPosted: Sat 18 Feb 2017 08:59 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

: --------------------
: Group Build Guru
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
:rotfl: The rational part of my brain agrees with you flawless logic Epeemam. I'd wager I'm not alone in that I want to build all my kits, and in fact I want to be so certain I can build them I have them ready and waiting so they don't get withdrawn or scarce! :airhead:

PostPosted: Sat 18 Feb 2017 12:43 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
I guess if you build whatever takes your fancy as you peruse your LMS then you don't need a stash 8-) Unfortunately, if you have a project, or a limited interest this isn't always possible and kits must be acquired for the greater goal :roll:

PostPosted: Sat 18 Feb 2017 22:07 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

: --------------------
Last week I bought the Airfix 1/48 Stuka. It's sitting there now, next to the recent purchases of Sunderland, He 111, B 17 etc etc. In the last twelve months I have actually completed two models - Stug and a WW1 tank. Confession time. I am Odysseus, and I am hooked on the buzz of buying a new. cleanly boxed kit (as a guard against the black dog, often enough). That is a huge part of why my stash grows. As to the other side, why I can never bring myself actually to finish a kit - that is between myself and my psychiatrist.
(I have also just bought some Liszt piano sheet music that is WAY beyond my skill level - another stash building up)

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb 2017 20:07 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

i buy this evening six old matchbox kit..and i stil open the box of the twelve frog's kits that i buyed a moth ago..

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017 21:53 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

As with many others in theory I want to build all the kits I buy, but it doesn't happen. Example i bought an old Airfix JP3, that I had searched for for years, but was nervous that I would mess it up. 10 years on, Airfix bring out a shiny new one (ditto for Sword and the JP 5 that I have stashed, and the Matchbox Provost - the decals for the S&M one look great). Now what do I do - buy new and keep or sell them off to partially fund the new ones ? And then there's pile of Lightnings from Airfix (2), Matchbox (2), Trumpeter (2) Frog/Revell (2) at least. Obsolete. It kind of kills the reasoning behind a stash. Vehicles are OK though - they are small, you can always convert or cannibalise them and no one is going to make any mainstream 1/76th models anymore.
Who else rushed out to buy the reissues of the Heyford and Stranraer to find them sitting staring back years later ? I am trying to now to reduce, and am evens so far for 2017. but my brother did pick me up a Matchbox M40 at Hornchurch last week. Just a Stuart (with tracks) and Challenger to complete my Matchbox collection now - I assume that the Challenger was the last 76th issue anyway.

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017 22:58 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

I was discussing this with somebody at Southern Expo. My raison d'être for having a stash is simple, it's because I can. Some might say it's eccentric (possibly) or eccentric/compulsive (highly likely), but I don't care. I have my own 'shop' at home, whatever takes my fancy for the next project I can almost certainly have a gander in the stash and find something to fit the bill. There'll be hundreds left over when I'm pushing up the daisies, but I don't care.

RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar 2017 13:35 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I'm more a collector than a builder which my stash reflects. I buy what I'm interested in at the time or its a bargain I couldn't resist. But iv resisted the last year or two adding to it as I don't have the room now.
I wouldn't need to buy another model and iv enough to see me into the next world.
Nostalgia was a big motivator as I got hold of the Airfix lunar lander and the Angel interceptor, I still never managed to get the air fix skeleton which was a favourite of mine in the my younger days.