Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Fri 18 Aug 2017 23:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 13 May 2017 08:51 am 
Green Star
Green Star

I get satisfaction from making a kit rather than the resultant model. I've never kept what I've finished, donating these to the local Oxfam, where they sell pretty quickly, however poorly I might think they had turned out.

I've binned only the one WIP kit, being the Italeri UH60 Blackhawk. The reason being that the min rotor hub attachments were to weak to support the blades, resulting in a from the hub droop that I didn't put my mind to remedying.

What do others do with their finished kits? Do they become ornamental dust-gatherers or something else.

PostPosted: Sat 13 May 2017 14:45 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

: --------------------
I have most of my finished model kits displayed on shelves, a bookcase and a display cabinet. Even the bad ones are out for me to look at (and any visitors).

I'll be honest and say I've never thrown a kit away, nor have I given any of them away. To me, they are a reminder of good and bad times I've had whilst struggling with mental illness.

Builds on the bench & My portfolio

PostPosted: Sat 13 May 2017 15:30 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Mine go initially on bookcase shelves (behind glass) in the lounge, for myself and anyone visiting to enjoy. Most are housed in my 'railway' bookcase, but some have strayed into the general library, with the reluctant endorsement of Mrs DD. The theory is that they then rotate onto open shelves on the 'guest' landing where only those staying with us can admire them (my workbench is also on that floor), but in practice the favoured ones stay downstairs while others (any rotary wing and my PdF collection, for instance) go straight onto the upstairs shelves alongside their buddies. Eventually I'll be driven to arrange more display cases in the sous-sol, probably to house a series of themed displays, but we may have to clear out some of the stuff we're 'storing' for friends first.

PostPosted: Sat 13 May 2017 15:39 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

I get more pleasure from the building, than I do from the displaying. When finished. Kits go on display on the shelf until I run out of space. Once I've run out of space. It's out to the back garden for some target practice!

PostPosted: Sat 13 May 2017 16:04 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Most of my completions are hanging from the ceiling. Having only really started building again in the past year or so I don't have a huge number yet so haven't had to get rid of any. As the squadron grows I will have to find alternative arrangements what those will be I am as yet unsure.

PostPosted: Sun 14 May 2017 09:29 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

I get the pleasure of both, making and displaying. I must admit though, if a build gets tough or takes longer than anticipated, ( I like to average a 6 week build, but have taken, up to 2 years, on plastic builds). I hang mine from the ceiling/s, (there is a thread with them somewhere in this site). Because of :rules: , I will have to abbreviate. My Hobby Room, is the "J.C." room, and my Bedroom is the "O.M.G." room, (these are the 2 main phrases, anyone says, when they see the models), (or dust collection).
Mike

PostPosted: Sun 14 May 2017 18:47 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Mostly going for dust collection on open shelves though these are about full as is the display cabinet. So available space is taken into use with the approval of Mrs. 575 - though a gift for her of my late father in laws last kit appropriately coded to his name PE R - is easing the way into the living room. :D
Also my brother asked for a Lancaster for his 50 year birthday which he received and a twoseater F-104 went to an office mate who piloted such in earlier days!

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017 12:55 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Mostly they go into bespoke glass cases on my study shelves because with the delicate nature of super detailed 1/600 ships, the prospect of trying to dust them is a nightmare!

PostPosted: Mon 15 May 2017 17:23 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Portfolio
Display cabinet for the more successfull ones, storage boxes for the rest

My ATF Workbench

PostPosted: Tue 16 May 2017 14:48 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Another one who displays or (themed) storage boxes stuff as a rule. That way, if, say, I get fed up with a display of NASCAR Cup cars in front of my DVDs I can swap them for classic rally cars, then for Skylines...

PostPosted: Fri 19 May 2017 12:07 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

These are the current 'nearly finished' batch:
They live on my coffee table and wallow in the pleasures of being covered in dust.....

They have been left out as:
    i] they are intended to be finished; and
    ii] if 'put away' in the plastic tubs I use for this, they become 'out of sight out of mind...'.

PostPosted: Sun 28 May 2017 23:59 pm 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

: Moderator
: Model Portfolio
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
: Group Build Leader
I used to display everything I finished but quickly ran out of space so got more selective with only recently finished and select models staying out. This naturally evolved into distinct themes that started to drive what I purchased and built to the extent that I've started to filter out what doesn't fit. Whilst I defiantly enjoy the building more I still get a great amount of satisfaction from seeing my efforts once they are finished.

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jun 2017 11:25 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Apart from the issue of where to physically place finished models, does anyone have a particular way of marking that a project is, finally, 'done'? When I built serially (i.e. more or less one kit at a time) it seemed relatively easy, after applying the final coat of varnish, to then clear the workbench and bask in the satisfaction (or not!) of reaching the end of that job, before opening a brand new box to start the process over again. But now I have any number of models in various states of construction at one time, I find it much harder to adjust when I've run out of things to do to one of them, and have to reluctantly let it move on. If I were a better figure painter (i.e. if I could paint figures at all) I would set up a an airfield diorama for finished aircraft, with a Colour Party and suitably laconic VIP of Air Rank, and hold a handover ceremony to welcome the new type into service; and if I'd kept any of my old Dinky Toys that fired matchsticks, I could honour each finished AFV with a 21-stick salute - but my mother threw all those old field pieces away, and a BB gun seems a bit extreme. Fortunately, since I seldom build floaty/sinky things (although two recent attempts at 1/350 submarines somewhat give the lie to that) I don't need to think too much about building miniature slipways and smashing tiny bottles of Veuve Clicquot, but I do still feel the need for some way of marking the transition from 'just needs finishing touches' to 'part of the completed body of work'. At the moment I'm making do with the creation of suitable display 'plaques' on strips of foamboard, which I place ceremonially beside the new arrival (possibly accompanied by a Teutonic heel-click!), but I'd be interested to learn if anyone has a more imaginative suggestion (or, indeed, whether anyone else feels the same need).

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jun 2017 16:07 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

Wondering myself what to do with my finished ones. I only live in a bedsit so space is very limited. Been thinking about making some as gifts for people, charity shops is a good idea.
Wondered if people sell they're finished products online? How much do they sell for?

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jun 2017 18:53 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

I hold it up to the light in such a way as to avoid the reflection of the decals(I just can't be bothered with all that Humbrol Klear/matt varnish technique), heave a sigh of satisfaction, and then just pop it down on any available surface in the house. The only glass fronted bookcase filled up years ago in a riot of wings, fuselages, roundels and crosses, so that opening either of the doors now requires the dexterity and cool-headedness of a bomb disposal expert. Anyway, my house, my rules, although I am still interrogating the cats to determine who jumped on the Blenheim and compromised its undercarriage. It's dried food only until the culprit fesses up.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jun 2017 19:59 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

@Skathi - Try searching for something like "built kits for sale" on Ebay; you may be surprised by how much even quite badly built models actually make.

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug 2017 03:01 am 
Red Star
Red Star

I put them in a cabinet and a trunk I have in my home. I tried to put them on shells, but the problem of dust and humidity is severe for the models.
I still have every model I built, and almost every soldier I've played with. I like to look at them when I can; I regret I can't still play with them, because I don't have sons... and I don't have time! :cry:
It's good to see the model finished; I'm not anxious, but I couldn't spend three months building a kit, even if it is a scratchbuilt. :shrug:

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug 2017 03:15 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Sad Dad wrote:
The only glass fronted bookcase filled up years ago in a riot of wings, fuselages, roundels and crosses, so that opening either of the doors now requires the dexterity and cool-headedness of a bomb disposal expert. Anyway, my house, my rules, although I am still interrogating the cats to determine who jumped on the Blenheim and compromised its undercarriage. It's dried food only until the culprit fesses up.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Good one SD
Mike

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug 2017 03:54 am 
Green Star
Green Star

wingnutmike wrote:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Good one SD

That is pretty funny. :clapping: I only have one cat - it makes life much simpler.

As for storage - 3x cabinets with glass doors, with enough space for the next couple of years 'production'. Then I'll have to make some tough decisions. I have another couple of cabinets full of 1/43 diecast/resin cars - and I've lost interest in that hobby over the last few years - but I can't quite bring myself to start selling off a collection that took so long to build up. I'll see how I feel in a couple of years when I need the space for my Airfix builds.

Modeling is in my blood... well, the fumes are.
My Portfolio
A bit about me

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017 08:30 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Hmmmm! Cats can be a nightmare! We have three and a couple of my finished models have suffered the consequences. Hence, most of my models hang from the ceiling.

Airfix Club Member No: 612511

My Portfolio