Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 18:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2011 21:20 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

As a boy i built airfix kits. Badly.

Why as a grown up do i still do this?

Just wondering why as adults we build models that are built for kids. Have we not grown up?

Or is it to build the perfect kit, and are airfix kits actually made for grown ups1

Why do you build still? Would love to know so i can rationlise with my wife!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2011 21:37 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

Nostalgia, self-fulfillment, pleasure and probably a load of other reasons.  But for me, mainly it's an interest in history and especially particular eras in history - and a passion for aircraft.  I could do paintings of the aircraft and events of the Vietnam War or Thr Battle of Waterloo or the moon landings or I could write books about them.  But I enjoy the challenge of trying to recreate these things in minature as best as I can!

Model Madness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2011 21:50 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

I never grew out of it and I'm not planning on doing so! Hopefully the quality is better these days...

Airfix kits are designed for kids of all ages.  :wink:

Seriously, looking at the new releases it's fairly clear that Airfix are manufacturing products that are probably aimed at junior and novice models, whilst it's equally clear that some of them are aimed at old hands. The recent 1/48 aircraft releases have levels of detail close if not equal to certain oriental brands, but they're not so complicated that tyro modellers would find them unfeasibly challenging. Not bad for a manufacturer that seemed down and out a few years ago.

peebeep

RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2011 22:02 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

: --------------------
Why anyone feels they have to rationalise their hobby to anyone  beats me.I started building way back in '65 ,and I was encouraged by my mother who worked where I could get kits from  ,the NAAFI.I still build and have never had a period in my life when I did not.My mother once said to me "never walk away from your childhood,it  is what makes you the person you are,and when the chips are down and times are hard it is what will help you stay sane".She was right, I build  because it allows me the chance to relax ,takes my mind off things and allows a little bit of the younger me to come out.I still collect stamps and Biggles books ,,if  folk think I am weird so be it ,their loss.Enjoy your hobby and to blazes with what other folk think. :D  :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2011 22:10 pm 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

An intrest in the subject i am building the research learning about The plane/tank or what ever subject i am building.i enjoy building them i find it relaxing. Most of all i am a big kid, who says i have to grow up. I do grown up stuff at work that good Enough  for me.

Builds Completed 2013=18 2014=14 2015=11 2016=8 2017=
IPMS Rivenhall (Mid-Essex Branch). Come and join in the Fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2011 22:32 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

I was given a sign that I have on my kitchen wall.

"Growing Old is mandatory.  Growing Up is optional"

'nuff said  :D

Work in Progress: - Bench

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2011 23:06 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

Mop_the_Panda:344017 wrote:
I was given a sign that I have on my kitchen wall.

"Growing Old is mandatory.  Growing Up is optional"

'nuff said  :D

Nice one, David! :thumb:

And yes, Mike ... that's another reason! ... I have learnt stuff and read stuff I would never have learned had I not got back into modelling ... so it's educational too and it keeps the old brain cells working!  :D

Model Madness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2011 23:13 pm 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

: Model Portfolio
To misquote George Mallory, 'because they're there' - though I don't suppose this really advances the discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2011 23:27 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

: Model Portfolio
I'm male, matured but never grown up.

IPMS member 13348. Airfix club IRWI54B955E
Portfolio W.I.P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011 01:02 am 
Red Star
Red Star

The way I look at it is that I think in general, people outside the hobby look at it as an activity for kids. Easy assumption to make since in the early days it was very much aimed at kids... but these days I think the hobby is VERY much geared towards adults now.

Maybe this is only because manufacturers have noticed the majority of sales of kits are within the more mature age range and have adjusted their sales strategies accordingly or else it has just worked out that way by chance. But look at it now compared to how it used to be... with all the extras that you can aquire these days. Photo etch, resin, extra decals etc and the sheer amount of tools available now and all the new techniques! I don't think it's a very kid friendly hobby anymore. Sure there are kits made for kids but these are only a very small area of the market.

If anyone said to me I was being childish for making Airfix kits I would just shrug it off and show them the proof of how it's very much aimed at adults now.

Many people have many different reasons for doing it... mine is that I simply just enjoy it! I'm a single man in my 30's at the moment and should a lovely young lady happen along one day soon I would not give up my hobby just because she may think I'm a big kid :lol: If she doesn't like me for who I am then so be it! :D

My Portfolio

"No aerodrome there now!" Flg Officer Vatne's official report after the bombing raid on Lohausen airfield in Germany during WW2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011 01:42 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

: Group Build Leader
I liked building models when I was a child and I still enjoy doing so at 52 years of age, (to use an Americanism) Period.

David.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011 01:47 am 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

A good point, Drew! :thumb:

When a lot of us were kids there were no computers or Playstations or the like.  We didn't have our own TVs in our rooms or DVDs or mobile phones we could text our friends on endlessly or Facebook to spend hours on etc. etc.

With the advent of such things, kids had (have) plenty of other things to occupy themselves with.  That, I think - and the fact that most kids at the time didn't continue their hobby as relationships and college/jobs took over is probably part of the reason why Airfix went through a very dodgy period.  

But now, many of us are reliving our childhood/adolescent love of modelling and returning to the hobby after a 20 or 30 year break!  And so a generation are returning from the heyday of modelling and are now adults and the modelling manufacturers know it! So I think modelling is much more geared towards adults now!  What kid could afford £30 for a Trumpeter 1/72 F-105 Thunderchief?  Granted, Airfix kits are a lot more affordable!

But, it is, afterall a craft like any other - is it not?  No one thinks it strange that someone turns wood or paints or like my sister and aunt do - knit or make cross-stitch pictures or do scrapbooking or make cards or do decoupage!  Lots of kids fish and play sports, but it doesn't make them childish if they enjoy these things when they are older!

I don't really get the childish thing!  I don't make models as I would have as a kid.  Neither would I fight my soldiers against each other or dive-bomb them with my aeroplanes, but it wouldn't matter if I did! Any 'fule would kno' (Molesworth) that modelling if done seriously is a very skilled hobby!

I can think of lots of so-called adult pursuits that are more childish ... for example getting blattered on a Friday night, picking a fight in the high street and then decorating the pavement with your Vindaloo!  I know what I think is more childish and which I would prefer to do!

So whether it's considered by some as childish or not, I don't care!  I'm just thankful that my wife and 16 year old daughter don't think it's childish.  They both think it's great that I have an interest and for some reason they seem to be impressed with my meagre efforts! ... That'll do for me, thank you very much!  :wink:

Still, a worthy topic for discussion - so thank's Steve! :thumb:

Model Madness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011 08:45 am 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

I have thought about the above discussion over night. We must remember to get our children involved as well, If you have them  as they are the next generation of modellers. It is a hobby after all and a way to escape real life and relax.

Builds Completed 2013=18 2014=14 2015=11 2016=8 2017=
IPMS Rivenhall (Mid-Essex Branch). Come and join in the Fun

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011 09:01 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

stevebull:343982 wrote:
As a boy i built Airfix kits. Badly.

Why as a grown up do i still do this?

Whilst I may slightly agree on the first sentence I do not agree on the second :)  I make a much better job of the model kits at 34 than I did at 10!

That aside, in simple terms I build them now because I enjoy it.  I've got other hobbies - modified cars, aquascaping, a touch of gaming on the Wii and a good few films being watched from a well-known online rental service.  I also read a good few books, usually fiction.

All of these I enjoy, and many can be enjoyed by people of all ages, and my enjoyment of these hobbies is sufficient explanation enough as to why I partake in them!

My Portfolio

Airfix Membership Number: 600230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011 11:36 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

My worry is that I cannot give the model building up...do I have a problem?

My first and only models available were Airfix and bought in Woolworths with very limited pocket money, so I feel it is a loyalty thing or sentimental attachment to the memory of the 1960's

Now Airfix is just one of the mass of producers which are more readily and more financially available.  If Airfix have the kit that I want then it must be bought and built.  

I still think I have a problem that needs councelling or at least treatment..more models needed to feed the addiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011 12:28 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

: AMSIG Member
i think the best answer is its FUN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011 16:06 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

brighton rock:344200 wrote:
My worry is that I cannot give the model building up...do I have a problem? 

I still think I have a problem that needs councelling or at least treatment..more models needed to feed the addiction

I have a similar problem.

I started modelling late last year and I told myself as much fun as it is, I would not let myself get carried away and end up with a room full of 300+ kits in my stash...

... just 6 or 7 months later and I have some 50+ kits in my stash! I have built under 10 kits thus far in that time and they are not from the 50+ stash! :lol:

I think I need HELP!!! :shock:

:rotfl:

Hi everybody, my name is Drew and I'm a plasticaholic!  :twisted:

My Portfolio

"No aerodrome there now!" Flg Officer Vatne's official report after the bombing raid on Lohausen airfield in Germany during WW2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2011 16:13 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

: Group Build Leader
Are there not two questions here?

1) Why do we BUILD Airfix MODELS?
2) Why do we build AIRFIX models?

I reckon the answer to 1) is that humans like making things and making representations of things - in some of us it's replicas of the world around us or a world gone by. Model making is just one manifestation of that. The answer to 2) is 'cos I like Airfix kits and have been building them since I was 4. I picked up one of the Dragon 1/35 Smart Kit Panthers at the weekend but I think there's more 'fun' to be had from the old 1/76 Airfix kit  :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2011 21:22 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Great responses. Just refound Airfix after a long time. Find it takes me back to a time when nothing matered but looking forward to going to the toy shop. Then making a right old mess. What fun. And now, its all coming back. Brilliant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2011 21:26 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

because we have a love of aircraft and/or military vehicles, and it's cheaper than building real planes and tanks. :wink: