Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 19:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Your Modelling Area
PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr 2006 17:05 pm 
ATF Founder
ATF Founder

: ATF Creator
: Administrator
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
: AMSIG Member
: ex-Royal Navy
Just like the old site, here is an opportunity to post pictures of the area you use for your modelling work.

I have a front room all to myself where I can make as much mess as I like!

The room has space for two desks and a foldaway table when need, my ghetto blaster tv etc. All that is missing is a kettle and a fridge!

Desk One

The PC has an internet connection and is where all my modelling web site and forum work is done.  I do tend to do the odd bit of actual modelling here too!

Desk Two

This is supposed to be my main modelling desk but I tend to use my other desk too often (naughty, naughty).

It also has a PC which contains a back up for my modelling research and website stuff and is handy for having pictures open whilst modelling. It also does not matter if paint gets on it's keyboard and monitor!  Underneath the desk is my stash - well most of it.

Foldaway Table

There is space in between both desks for this additional table when required.  I found it very necessary when I built four 1/400 ships simultaneously for Airfix.

I also have all my books, magazines etc in here too. I've only a few completed models and they all fit on one shelf - at the moment. :wink:

Dave

My Portfolio + My Works in Progress + My Stash. "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

Stash: 158. Built: 1967-1980: 250. 1981-2005: 4. 2006-2010: 52. 2011-2015: 119. 2016: 33. 2017: 9.

Last edited by DaveCov on Sun 04 Jul 2010 14:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr 2006 17:38 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

I've got my conservatory table, its not technically my modelling area because I don't have one but I haven't been told to get off the table since before christmas so I think I'm safe. For a while :) The tables tidy then in the picture as I took that a while ago.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr 2006 19:48 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

ok im not sure if this is right but here goes

edit, wow it worked, im not sure how i did it but it seems i can now,anyway this is my attic where i can do my thang,its an old shot ,but ill update when i can.

col

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr 2006 22:24 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Airfix Vulcan, anti-flash white, 27 Sqd undergoing airbrushing and using way too many cans of propellant (I need a compressor...), and first Airfix TSR 2, primed ready for 27 Sqd 'What-If' scheme complete with 'Dumbo Decals'. Plus plenty of wine if ever I need to fortify my resolve...

Bluesteel

Post subject: Modelling area
PostPosted: Wed 26 Apr 2006 10:00 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: --------------------
: "Specials" GB Guru
Starting to get modellers twitch (3 weeks and counting since I touched a model). My area was commandeered for a visit from Mater and Pater. My vociferous arguments that it was my study and modelling den, fell on deaf ears in the "don't be silly it's the spare bedroom" brigade :(
Ho hum hopefully I'll be able to get it up and running this week, now where exactly did I put everything :o
Best
Red.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."
My Model Portfolio

Post subject: airfix cup
PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr 2006 08:17 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

I notice in one of these working areas someone has airfix cup's. How does one get one of those.

David

This is my model table.

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr 2006 08:29 am 
ATF Founder
ATF Founder

: ATF Creator
: AMSIG Member
: ex-Royal Navy
That was me who had the Airfix Mugs! :D

I'm not sure if they are available for sale as they were a gift. I will make some enquiries!

Dave

My Portfolio + My Works in Progress + My Stash. "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

Stash: 158. Built: 1967-1980: 250. 1981-2005: 4. 2006-2010: 52. 2011-2015: 119. 2016: 33. 2017: 9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr 2006 11:29 am 
Red Star
Red Star

Well I have

The use of the small bedroom for my modelling desk (I also have my computer desk in there), one of the Garden sheds for my Spray room, and the dinning room for any large projects such as the construction of an 8 Foot by 6ft piece of river scenery for a wargaming show, and for wargaming the dinning room table is great.

My Modelling Table

My Computer in my modelling room

My Shed I use for spraying

My dining room which has my latest scenery in it.[/img]

Post subject: Model workbench
PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2006 14:34 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Well here's my recently re-instated working area, I doubt that it will stay this tidy for long!

My RAF Mustang III before I stuffed up the paint job :cry:

Best
Red.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."
My Model Portfolio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2006 20:25 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Group Build Guru
How do you all model in such small areas :shock: I take over the whole house :twisted: :P :lol:

Post subject: Modelling areas
PostPosted: Thu 04 May 2006 06:51 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Ratch wrote "How do you all model in such small areas I take over the whole house"

There is this special space limiting device called a "WIFE", which has secondary functions such as model budget control, and a built in time allowed for modelling limiter. :cry: :wink: :D
Best
Red.

My Model Portfolio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04 May 2006 08:51 am 
Red Star
Red Star

lol

I had a WIFE installed 2 years ago however I have by passed the time limiter by buying a cable tv package that distracts the WIFE. However the downside of the Cable tv is that it has the history channel function which distracts me as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04 May 2006 11:23 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Commodore Rob wrote:
lol

I had a WIFE installed 2 years ago however I have by passed the time limiter by buying a cable tv package that distracts the WIFE. However the downside of the Cable tv is that it has the history channel function which distracts me as well.

My Wife of 18 years has graciously allowed me to model when I like,that is, as long as the job list has been worked on first :wink:

I usually take over the dining table for as long as I can, the banging of lids on saucepans is a good hint to clear away the 'mess'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 05 May 2006 09:13 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Heres my safe haven . I managed to get the spare room as a modelling room when we moved house 2 years ago . Unfortunatly this was at the exspence of a double garage which we no longer have so I have to spend more time cleaning the cars than modeling

Currently working on a Vulcan , which is sitting there waiting for the filler to dry in the intakes ready for a mammouth sanding and shaping session this weekend, Like Bluesteel's its going to end up anti-flash white with modeldecal markings for XL385 no 9 SQN RAF Coningsby . Also working on a Raf refueling set which I got from e-bay as a bag of bits with no instructions for 99p.

Im a bit more cramped than I used to be as the wife now has a table to do her water colour painting on as well . Now I have to do all my primer work in the garden as the layer of dust over her art work didnt go down to well

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 19 May 2006 18:23 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
my modelling room is my bedroom

(pics follow shortly)

Luke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006 00:35 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
I must take a wider shot of my modelling area :oops:
I have a coffee table with two lamps, one halogen and the other with a 100 watt bulb and fixed magnifying glass. The Airfix Modelling Mat, the green cutting board and a sheet of aluminium I also use for cutting on. Lots of newspaper, and then various storage boxes, tool boxes, trays (full with paints) and box files :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006 10:00 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

http://airfix.com/cs/photos/publication ... 29724.aspx

The only picture i have got - it never stays tidy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006 10:53 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Welcome to my conservatory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006 16:31 pm 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

Diorama Workshop!:

Modelling Desk:

Stash Shelves:

Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Beyond the Box SIG Member

Last edited by Owen on Fri 27 Oct 2006 13:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 30 May 2006 16:51 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Airfix Modelling SIG Administrator
I don't have a specific area that I use. I just have a couple of trays - one small one for painting on, and one larger one for assembly, filling et al. Using these, I can set up pretty much anywhere, although most of the time I model whilst (not really) watching the idiot box.

Oh, and I have my Airfix paint carousel on a table next to me (as have a number of others, I notice!).

A couple of problems with this are:

a) I have two cats, both of whom like to sit on my lap, and who get very upset if I have the tray on my lap instead. They have been known to try to get on my lap at the same time as the tray, which can be exciting.

b) In between modelling sessions (which can be 24 hours, or several days, depending on how I'm feeling), the trays go on the floor in the lounge, with my toolbox full of paint, brushes etc. (and at the moment, the Airfix RAF History Collection box). It's a bit messy, so it can lead to some domestic opposition. However, I suspect there would be more opposition if I disappeared for hours on end, rather than remaining in the bosom of my family...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next