Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Wed 20 Sep 2017 13:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 12:38 pm 
ATF Founder
ATF Founder

: ATF Creator
: Administrator
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
: AMSIG Member
: ex-Royal Navy
Many of you will be aware that the Airfix Tribute Forum has been offline from 31st August until the morning of 5th September and it is great to be online again. However, I do not believe this is the end of the matter. It may well be just the start.....

The reason for the absence was due to actions taken by our new hosts (tapatalk). Tapatalk are migrating the old MYFF forums to their own servers. In preparation for the migration, they removed access to the forum and in most cases never let the forum owners know this was going to happen. To make matters worse, it is not just a simple move of files as they are changing the look of the forums as well and forum owners and members are being confronted with a strange layout to their migrated forums.

Seeing as no changes have been made to the ATF layout yet, then it is obvious that tapatalk have just reactivated the old ATF possibly due to the pressure that we have placed upon them. Although we are now back online, it is very likely that the ATF will go offline again - possibly without warning.

If it does disappear again and you continue to get error messages when you use the old URL to access the ATF (http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org), then you may have to type the new URL to find it - https://tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtribu ... /index.php (Note: as of 1200 5th September 2017 this URL is not active).

Some, if not all, posts you make from today until the eventual migration takes place could be lost so be sure to keep a copy of any long posts on your own computer for the time being.

Sorry for any inconvenience that has been caused to members. If we had been given some warning in advance of what would happen, we would have let you know. Anything we do find out between now and the migration we will pass on to you.

Finally, I would like to extend my gratitude to members of our fellow modelling forums who have been supporting us during our (enforced) absence. Thanks!

Dave

My Portfolio + My Works in Progress + My Stash. "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

Stash: 158. Built: 1967-1980: 250. 1981-2005: 4. 2006-2010: 52. 2011-2015: 119. 2016: 33. 2017: 9.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 13:33 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: --------------------
: Group Build Guru
: AMSIG member
It was booted about on other forums that the ATF should have a facebook page where the admin could let the collective know what is happening at times like these.
I'm just passing on thoughts/suggestions from others
I'm not on facebook so it would be of no use to me anyhows

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 13:47 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

: Portfolio
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Hello I feel the way that the hosts have acted is totally unacceptable to both Ratch and yourself and I would personally worry as you have mentioned above it may happen again without warning . This would make me seriously think about if they are the right people to run a service as big as this site if they do not give you both fare warning totally unprofessional in my opinion .

Airfix sig member
Ex Royal Navy

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 14:12 pm 
ATF Founder
ATF Founder

: ATF Creator
: AMSIG Member
: ex-Royal Navy
We have been running for 11 years 4 months and this is the first outage that has caused concern. I can't see the point in running a Facebook page "just in case". It would have been of limited use in this situation as we could only say "we don't know what is going on" and then only to Facebook members!

In hindsight, for the ATF members, perhaps we should have put a notice on the ATF web site (http://www.airfixtributeforum.co.uk/) which is accessible to everybody and not just Facebook users. At least it would have made it clear to any members who visited the ATF web site that the ATF hadn't disappeared for good!

I already have a backup ATF running where the Admins and Mods have been able to discuss this latest incident. Perhaps it might be an idea to maintain it as a place where ATF members can check out the status of the main forum. Food for thought.

Dave

My Portfolio + My Works in Progress + My Stash. "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

Stash: 158. Built: 1967-1980: 250. 1981-2005: 4. 2006-2010: 52. 2011-2015: 119. 2016: 33. 2017: 9.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 16:00 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

How, if it happens again, will we know it´s not permanent? I only found out it was a "glitch" after searching about and finding the thread about it on the Brit Modeller Forum.

My ATF Workbench

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 16:51 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

This is exactly how I found about the situation. As mentioned elsewhere. I'm glad that some of us are members of other Forums.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 17:24 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

I think you would find Facebook pages more useful than you might think. Not only would it have been possible to alert Facebook members of the unplanned outage, it's a great tool for promoting forums and keeping folks generally up to date. Whilst I appreciate you could not have been any more forthcoming with when the forum might be up again, it would have given some reassurance that it hadn't disappeared without trace.

RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 18:04 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I totally agree with peebeep on the Facebook stance - many of us bump into each other on there not because we are necessarily allied to any particular Forum with a Facebook page but just because we know each other and have "Friended" ourselves and so can see what the other is posting about and sharing - hence it was easy to keep abreast of the outage through my contact with Paul and Andy and the AMSIG guys on Facebook etc. It may help the ATF to spread the word generally and garner more interest and members if it had a FB presence.
Good to have you back anyway!
Cheers
Al.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 19:11 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Hi all,

Regarding having an alternative 'Social Media' outlet. Although there are many different social media outlets, I am only involved in two. Facebook and Twitter. Twitter is great for small snippets of information, but probably not best in assisting this forum. However, Facebook can be. Several forums run their forum page and a Facebook page. I am involved in the Airfix Modelling SIG Facebook page. The forum has about 90 members. The Facebook page, over 600. The Facebook page is a great way of letting others know what you are up to a lot easier than the forum. A quick picture of a WIP, photos of the latest model show, Airshow activity. You don't need to upload your pictures to Photobucket or Flickr, the upload is direct to the FB page. It does not take away from peoples WIP threads, portfollio's or general modelling discussion on the forum. It does not distract from the forum, it does provide another form of contact with members, attracts new members and generally promotes the group.

Not everyone in the forum is a FB member, not every FB member is on the forum. Different people prefer different mediums, but in light of the recent outage of the forum, it would provide a one stop shop for information on what is happening, even if that info was 'Hey guys, we are aware of the problem and are sorting it out'. There was a few people wondering if the ATF was coming back at all! Although not everyone would have seen it, there may have been a number that would.

I would give it some proper thought. You may want to check out other FB pages to see how they are run e.g. AMSIG, Airfix Modelling Club, IPMS - The Workbench, The Unofficial Airfix Modellers Forum Official Facebook Page

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 19:31 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

not very computer literate, and facebook to me, is as appealing to me as going to the Dentist. I found out by digging up an old E-mail from Ratch and asking him, (thought I had a virus on my P.C.).
Mike

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 19:53 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

I have no objection to an ATF Facebook page. But then again, I'm not on Facebook. Nor would I join it. A quick internet search lead to to Brit Modeller, where I found out what was going on.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 20:50 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

It's great that the forum is back up and functioning! Using the Forum website to provide info on downtime and other forum matters is a great idea and would allow the admins to update the membership without having to field lots of emails (which I am sure is what happened - I certainly contacted Ratch!). I think this will be an important thing to do bearing in mind the uncertainty about the possible server migration and associated schedule. Even a simple "News" page would be good. Beyond that, a Facebook group would be useful for the many on Facebook, however I realise that's another investment in time and effort that someone needs to make, and wouldn't reach all of us. Finally, does the ATF pay anything for the forum hosting? If it's a paid service then I would expect a lot better - if not, then perhaps it might go some way to explain the host's laissez-faire attitude.
Glad to be back again!
Best wishes,
Piers

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 21:48 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

For me here in Sydney Ozwegia the ATF was down from approx 1030 Thursday 31Aug2017 and was finally back 1410 Tuesday 05Sep2017.
I initially thought I had a bug, I found Ratch on UAMF and messaged him a couple of times about the prob and as usual he answered with what he knew.
What a shabby way to treat both Ratch and yourself as well as the other members of the ATF by keeping us in the dark, "mushrooms".
One of my great daily enjoyments is my time on the ATF and the loss of access was very off putting.
I found the thread on BritModeller (I had just joined) and was shocked by the reason for the outage, no notice whatsoever, apalling!!!!
Great to have you guys back, don't know about FaceBook and have no intention to join it or any other social media ever.
Maybe a link to an info page regarding the status of the ATF is needed, I'm not very computer savvy so apologies if I've got it wrong.
Regards as always,
Neil.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 22:24 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

What a terrible way to treat customers. Thank goodness everything is back for now. Thanks as always to DaveCov and Ratch for all they did and do to keep us running. Let's see what happens next... :nailbite:

With every model I learn a little more... and then the next one takes longer!

My Portfolio

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 23:31 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

I'm on Facebook so I would have known right away that it wasn't a glitch or the ATF had been shut down for some reason. But not everyone is on FB or would want to be. As it happens, it was easy enough to get news of what had happened. I just Googled "ATF down" or something like that and, although I'm not a member of either, I was able to see the threads on Britmodeller and The Unofficial Airfix Forum.

It would seem that the ATF is at the mercy of its hosts. I understand nothing about hosting or how web pages are run etc. I just wonder if there is any way the ATF could be owned in such a way that it wasn't dependent on a hosting service who, it would seem, can do as they please. Perhaps it would be the work involved or perhaps that the format of forums like this can't be done any other way. Or perhaps the sheer cost is prohibitive and it would mean having to charge to join. Or perhaps a mixture of all three. As I say, I know nothing about how these things work, but it would just seem obvious that Ratch and Dave and whoever else should have control of what happens to the forum and when it should have to close down for maintenance etc. I hope that makes sense. :shrug:

If the problem is cost, even if there wasn't a mandatory subscription, I would gladly pay a suggested yearly fee to be a member. I know we can donate as it is now, but with the number of members I would be surprised if we couldn't cobble together whatever funds were needed to have our own, safe, ATF. It's the best on the web and it would be tragic if it were at the mercy of fickle hosts who don't care about it as we do. :(

Model Madness

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 04:28 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Would this on again off again ATF cause problems with receiving email notifications of answering posts made by other members?
I've not had any since the ATF reappeared.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 09:53 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

I'm another one who does not, and will not, use Facebook or Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 10:27 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

I am another who said I would never use Facebook . But let me tell you yes there is a lot of usless information that come through (just scroll pass easy)but also there are fantastic stuff on there as well . I belong to some great Royal Navy sites I have reconnected with loads of my old mates , also I have exchanged many photos and found photos I did not know even were out there of my time in the RN . I also have found that the modelling sites very good as well great instant information works in progress no resizing pictures save me a fortune with paying sites . I can then post my finished build on my forum pages I belong to it works both ways and is great in my opinion (did I just say that). It is not all dome and gloom its technology moving forward and if you like it or not (I did not at first)that's the way it is . The last thing it is up to you who you let join on your profile so you are in control .

Airfix sig member
Ex Royal Navy

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 13:19 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

I'm like Andy. I resisted joining Facebook for ages, but I've been on Facebook for years now and have never had any problems. Yes, there is a lot of dross on there, but there is also a lot of really good stuff about all kinds of things. But the same is true of the internet in general. Facebook really hacks me off sometimes, but mostly, I love being on there. It's like anything though - you decide how much or how little of it you are involved in; how much or how little you wish to share; and whether you have no friends or just important friends or millions of so-called friends. My wife hates it and hates the whole concept. I love it - and as I have started my own business making polymer clay jewellery (yes, you read it right :shock: ), it has been invaluable to me in learning so much from the groups there and making sales through my dedicated page. I should be on Twitter too as that is supposed to be a brilliant marketing tool, but I have the same prejudices as many have about Facebook and besides, when I tried to join (with gritted teeth), something went wrong.

Facebook isn't for everyone, but then I know a few people who will have absolutely nothing to do with the internet in any form whatsoever. Yes, an ATF Facebook page would be great and would be a good way of informing people that something had gone down with the forum and word would get around quicker, but it isn't essential. The advantages and disadvantages of a FB page have already been mentioned elsewhere - the main disadvantage being having moderators to police it etc. Once set up, I guess a group pretty much runs itself.

Apart from all the modelling and polymer clay groups I am on there, it has been brilliant for other more personal reasons. Had it not been for the threads on Britmodeller and The Unofficial Airfix Forum about the ATF having gone down, I would have had no idea what was happening and would have had to resort to Facebook as I am friends with a few ATF members on there. I'm probably pretty rare, but I'm not on other modelling forums and I can't get to modelling conventions and I don't have a modelling group in my area - so the ATF is pretty much my only contact with other modellers. Even though I'm a member of Facebook modelling groups, I'm not a very active member and like on the ATF, a lot of people seem to know each other personally through their local modelling groups. So just to say, really, that some of us are very isolated.

Anyway, the point is that although I love Facebook more than I hate it, and although I'm about as isolated from the modelling community as anyone, I was still able to discover what was happening through other forums whose posts are public - so really a Facebook Group isn't necessary for finding out what is happening the next time the ATF goes down. Always remember, Google is your friend. :airhead: :Chair:

Model Madness

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 13:49 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Group Build Guru
Why don't you who are on Facebook form a group and keep each other informed. I certainly won't be signing up, I did once but cancelled my account.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next