Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 27 Jun 2017 03:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2011 14:56 pm 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

: Model Portfolio
I was given this kit as a result of a garage clearout. Everything was in Russian, including the script. I am, therefore, unable to give the name of the kit’s manufacturer, other than to say it might be spelt Hobnhka (with the n written ‘backwards). The aircraft was also modelled by Maquette, but I don’t know when. There is a review comment on the Maquette kit about the wing ribs being heavy on top and none underneath that makes me think that they might be from the same mould. The aircraft may seem familiar. It is, in fact, a Russian version of an Airco DH9A, the result of what is euphemistically called ‘reverse engineering’. It served from 1923 until into the 1930s. The kit is a little unsophisticated in some ways, but well capable of being built into something decent. It was so old and had been stored so badly that the decals were completely crazed. I tried the Klear treatment, but rescuing them proved to be impossible. That was unfortunate as there was some interesting Russian writing as part of two of the colour options. I had to resort to the spares box for decals and used a scheme that we can call ‘illustrative’. Some of you may remember the number on the tail as coming from elsewhere, possibly from an old Frog kit – it looked east European so I used it.
A reviewer for the Maquette kit gave it an RAF colour scheme in silver dope which looks rather attractive and is certainly less dull than the Russian green and blue.
Image[img]/[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2011 16:02 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Does that not look like a DH9a??

Edit: I should have read Gerry's text first :)

Interesting kit, Gerry. Nicely built, as usual, and thanks for informing. I can only imagine that the original examples were obtained by capture during the war that was waged against the Bolsheviks. Possibly this one was captured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2011 17:13 pm 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

: Model Portfolio
Indeed, that seems to have been the story - a captured one that was 'reverse engineered' then mass produced using a variety of engines.

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/p ... pov-r1.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2011 19:28 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Beautiful work as always. :nod:

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jun 2017 12:34 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Hi All,
Just finished this build as my entry into the BM De Havilland GB. It was my second time with this kit and both were built as RAF DH9a’s. Maquette have released the kit twice, once as the Airco DH9A and more recently as the Polikarpov P-1 or in English the R1. As the R1 is a reverse engineered copy intended to use Russian materials it is no surprise to find that the kit sprues are identical. There is a link on Scalemates to an inbox review. The only change I made was to replace the Russian designed rear machine gun ring set up with an Aeroclub Scarff ring/Lewis set up. With the second build the crew member in the rear cockpit proved to be a bit more broad in the shoulders than the first and the replacement gun ring wouldn’t lie properly. I had to modify the kit gun frame and replace the gun with a spare Lewis from the spares. There is no ordnance supplied so I used bombs from the Airfix DH4 and smaller bombs from the Eastern Express Strutter.

The kit has two issues that was common to both builds. The forward starboard cabane strut location slot is short moulded. I ran a drill bit into the area and cut a slot to the correct size. It took a minute to do. The cabanes also have a pin at right angles to aid positioning but the slots do not have a corresponding hole. Again it took a minute to drill fresh holes. The alternative was to remove the pins as the slots are moulded to give the correct angle to the struts. Both methods work. The lower wings have very faint ribs. On the silver wing I scored the ribs with a sharp knife but on the WW1 bird I highlighted the ribs with a dark pencil before painting. As yet I haven’t made my mind up as to which method looks best. The upper surfaces have well defined ribs which have never bothered me but others may want to tone down.

With the first post war build there were no further issues. However with the second build I fitted the top wing having installed the cabanes first. The interplane struts were too short. After a lot of too-ing and fro-ing it looked like the upper wing had too much dihedral. The fix was simple, namely I cut deep enough across the chord on either side of the centre section to allow the wing to be bent to fit. The gap was filled with liquid CA and painted over. And that was that. The rest of the parts fitted well enough. I added a windscreen and an Aldis sight and a underchin tropical radiator was added to the silverwing. The Maquette red star transfers broke up when I tried them elsewhere first time round so I would recommend a decal solution if you’re going with a Soviet aircraft. My builds both originated from the Polikarpov issue so the post war RAF roundels are Almark plus spares and I used spare roundels from the Airfix BE2c on the WW1 bird. All things taken together I have enjoyed building these kits. Comparable to the Airfix DH4 to my eyes. Build thread is here.
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... irco-dh9a/

Regards, Steve

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun 2017 10:32 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

: --------------------
Beautiful work, Steve!

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun 2017 19:18 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

: --------------------
Steve -

That really is good work - lovely fine rigging too.

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun 2017 17:55 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

How did I miss this Steve? Yours and Gerry's really do look the part - very convincing as DH 9A's. It makes a real change to see these types in non-RAF colours too.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun 2017 23:05 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Thanks Gentlemen, as ever always appreciated. As for colour schemes none of the major users, RAF and Soviet, are particularly interesting. Even the DH9's and 9A's flown by the White Russian forces retained the RAF roundels. Some replaced the tail stripes with a white stripe at 45 degrees I gather but a generic example could be claimed to be either. Like what I do.

Regards, Steve