Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 22:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2016 07:00 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

: --------------------
Ka Plah,

Viewing all the Sci Fi Models this week, I remembered this model I built more years ago than I'd like to admit to. I cannot remember who the kit was made by, but I do remember I bought it from a "Cheapy" Shop, at a bargain price.

The kit is a Diorama of the Star Trek Enterprise, and 2 Klingon Battle Cruisers (Original Series), based on the 3rd series, 2nd episode, "The Enterprise Incident". Captain Kirk unexplainably orders the Crew to enter "Romulan Space", and is surrounded by Romulan manned Klingon Ships, (well won't tell you the rest, and spoil a good episode).

The base and back ground are not all that big, (about Tissue Box size), so the models of the Enterprise and Battle Cruisers are small as well. This made it a very tricky build, as the Diorama used to light up, and it also, when pushing a button, makes sounds effects as well. You got the Red Alert Siren, Phaser Firing, Photon Torpedo Firing, Kirk saying "Scotty we are running out of time", plus other phrases.
So here are a few pics:

How the Dio looks without the lights on.

The Enterprise still lights up. The background used to light up, (as did the Planet).

One of the Klingon/Romulan Battle Cruisers still does, ( the Photon Torpedo Launcher used to glow as well).

If anyone used to remember the "Micro Machines" that came out, back a few decades than I can remember, a the bottom are examples of the same craft to show you how small the models are. To the right of the Dio, you can see part of the "Micro Machine" Star Trek Collection.
Live Long and Prosper!
Mike

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2016 10:57 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

A great little dio. Shame some of the lights no longer work but it still looks great.
I remember the Micro Machines Star Trek sets, having purchased many of them myself and traded vessels with friends who also collected them.
I still have a small selection of them on display on top of a small bookcase (without the stands unfortunately).

Builds on the bench & My portfolio

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul 2016 08:01 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Thanks Nick. It shouldn't be too difficult to get the lights working again, (I have plenty of rice grain globes spare), its just the time factor. I think I have all the Micro Machine, "Star Trek" models, and have a lot of stands broken, (the OZ sun is not great for plastic), as well.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul 2016 09:13 am 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Portfolio
Neat set up :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

My ATF Workbench

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul 2016 20:14 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Clever!

Your Star Trek scene looks great

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

PostPosted: Sat 01 Apr 2017 05:51 am 
White Star
White Star

I remember this set, I actually bought two of them, I built one and kept the other thinking it might be valuable one day and I could sell it. I eventually threw the one I made up out, but seeing yours I may have another crack at it now that my modelling skills are 100 times more powerful than they were before :P I'll have to rumage around to find out where the damn thing is kept. If I recall, it even came with a little battery operated drill to drill out all the little holes.

cheers

BT

My Modelling Blog Site