Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 22:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2016 19:20 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

: --------------------
A while ago I came across Starfix models in a cheap shop. At £1 each I bought loads of them and started having fun. Here is the first.

Northrop project X-232SK
January 2020. With the U.S. defecit at $20Trillion, the government asked the aircraft industry for a cheap anti satellite weapon to combat the threat of a proposed Russian E.M.P. beam armed space platform. The requirements were it had to be simple, immune to E.M.P. and cyber attack, (hacking), therefore manned. Northrop offered a shelved 1960's adaptation of their F-5 to be powered by a secret, but off the shelf, scram-jet engine. This would be armed with up to three equally secret space Bullpup V wire guided missiles. At an estimated price of only $10million, the top secret, (but cheap), 232SK (satellite killer) was born.

01.06.2022. The first test flight from area 51. Operating hight was achieved ,(classified), and the craft recovered successfully by fusilage parachute.

11.09.2022. The first armed test firing against an obsolete U.S. Satellite. The target was destroyed, but the debris field went off predicted track causing a 'cascade effect', which destroyed 15 satellites of other nations and causing a major international incident.

05.11.2022. The Russian E.M.P. armed , (not verified), space platform launch delayed indefinately.

01.02.2030. The treaty of Harare is signed , leading to the creation of the United Earth Space Administration to regulate all space developments, ensuring a strict de-militerization.

01.04.2036. The only Northrop 232Sk is unveiled as the centre piece of the foyer of U.E.S.A. headquarters at Woomera.

This model was very adaptable for this sort of thing. The only addition was an engine off a demised Revell B.66 Destroyer. All comments are welcome. Please enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct 2016 21:39 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: Group Build Leader
Very nice...got more than a whiff (pun) of Angel Interceptor about it.
Inspired by THIS perchance...?

cheers,
Robin.

What's 'Decals', Master?...

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct 2016 02:15 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

fantastic work :clapping: cascade effect, lol

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct 2016 10:03 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Excellent whiff. Just got to love it. :)

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2016 11:32 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Thanks all!
Actually the main inspiration for this came from the fighter planes that made the odd appearance in 'Thunderbirds' as they looked like airfix kits with extra engines on. (A Draken springs to mind). It does look a cross between an Angel Interceptor and a colonial Viper, but when I put the engine on the tail I thought, yes this looks so right!

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2016 13:23 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Stoconian, I have somewhere a series of articles on how Derek Meddings, Reg Hill and Martin Bower built the "non Hero" designs for the Supermarionation shows. Saab Drakens were significantly involved, as were Starfighters and Hustlers.

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov 2016 14:12 pm 
-

Cracking job! :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar 2017 18:55 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Northrop TigerCet/Astrocat
In 2023 a heat dispersing laquer called 'Astratrex' was patented. This could be applied to any surface with the effect that any space vehicle could survive re-entry without a heat shield.

Also in 2023 China Engine Technik perfected the Plasmajet engine. This offered maximum thrust at minimum volume.

In 2032 using their experience with the X-232SK, adding Astratex and the Plasmajet engine, Northrop unveiled project 'TigerCet', the worlds first mass produced 100% reusable spacecraft. This was as simple as they could make it for it had the body and wings of an F-5 Tiger, but the wings were locked down for launch and spaceflight, then locked in a normal position for re-entry and landing. It was powered by a CET Plasmajet for launch and two small jet engines for landing, (these engines were omitted in later models once the technology was improved,).

TigerCet A

TigerCet A and B

These were used initially by the United Earth Space Administration as training craft and crew ferries, but they were so useful, they were adapted as general space 'hacks' with many applications with some of them even ending up on the first Mars colonies. The model range that this design spawned was eventually replaced by the lifting bodies of the 2060's

On completion of number 1000, the official name was changed to 'Astrocat', as that was what all spacefarers called them from day one!

(I knew nothing of Northrop's Talon spaceplane before I made these honestly! If anyone can say what I used for engines, I will be very impressed! Thanks).

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017 10:14 am 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Administrator
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
: Airfix Modelling SIG Administrator
A very nice conversion.

Are the engines part of a cupboard hinge? They look a little like the outer parts of the sort of hinges you find in kitchen cupboards.

Portfolio
Work in (glacial) Progress

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017 19:33 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

That is a good guess Adrian, I can see your thinking. They are actually spare parts for an obsolete type of wiper blade fitting. Two big ones on the bottom and two smaller ones (thrust reversers), on top. Everything else came with the kit.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017 22:23 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Ah! So that's what they were! I thought I recognised them from somewhere. Nice whifs!
Best wishes,
Piers