Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Fri 18 Aug 2017 23:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec 2016 04:54 am 
Red Star
Red Star

I recently had a call from my 80yo dad to say he was chucking some stuff out that they had brought over from England (they came over 22years ago) One box next to the bin was full of a few of my old toys, I didn't even know they'd kept I had a tear in my eye as I went through the box, little soldiers, pontoon bridge, tanks, ducks, coastal command, action man, meccano Loved it all, thought you guys might enjoy my new resurfaced treasures
Anyone else remember the vacform bases you used to be able to get, I had the coastal one with the harbour wall and the bombed building......sigh

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec 2016 11:15 am 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: --------------------
: Portfolio
There´s some great looking bits there..the meccano and an Action man included. I´d love to be able to have all of my old collection..including Action men, sadly most of the small scale stuff (including a few vacu form bits of landscaping*) went to the tip, the 1/32nd stuff to a childrens home.

*The Vacform bases..Bellona ?
http://vintagewargaming.blogspot.de/200 ... field.html
There´s a thread here with loads of vacform bit´s and pieces here
Vacform_diorama_bases_Bellona_Airfix_and_others_about20811.html

My ATF Workbench

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec 2016 13:02 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Meccano's back in vogue, (and very expensive too), no doubt a lot will be going to your spare's stash?
Mike

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016 07:31 am 
Red Star
Red Star

Thanks for the links, the two bases I had are in there :clap:
I may try and refurb some of the goodies and see what sort of cunning war game base I can come up with

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2017 08:29 am 
Black Star
Black Star

You're lucky your old man kept anything. My dad burned my teddy in front of my eyes on the garden bonfire the day I no longer wanted to sleep with him as a warped kind of 'manning up' ceremony. He seemed driven to sell or chuck out anything unnecessary in the house; I've no idea which tip our toys ended up in after we'd all left home, although I have to admit a lot of kits were immolated or blown up with bangers by my own fair hand!

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2017 10:34 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

robthepom wrote:
... thought you guys might enjoy my new resurfaced treasures

:nod: :nod: :nod: Superb - thanks for sharing this - it's like we can all join in!!! :clapping:

After Airfix, Action Man was my big thing. The embarrassing family story that was recited for years by my Nan and Mum when relatives/girlfriends came round on those big social occasions, was that when I decided that I had grown out of playing with him, I ceremoniously 'buried' him in the back garden!
Only very recently did Mum reveal the postscript that I actually went out the next day, exhumed the body, and removed him in a carrier bag to reside in the shoe cupboard for years! Sadly, he was never seen again.

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2017 13:41 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Guilty admission - still got all mine! Highlights include several Action-Man with painted hair, pristine Corgi James Bond Aston Martin, Britains War of Independence figures, and of course tons of Airfix. The only things that went missing were a dozen or so built aircraft which were so laden with dust they probably got thrown out without anyone realising what they were... As I recall the usual holiday choice for me and my siblings was 'small soldiers, big soldiers, Action Men, cars - or shall we go outside?' Small soldiers usually won.

Mind you, the jewel in the collection is the trainset my Dad bought and had installed for us in our playroom (you press a hidden button and the whole thing descends from the ceiling). He'd only had a simple O trainset as a child and wanted something more impressive. It was the centrepiece at the big annual London trainset exhibition in 1963 (the one I believe Blue Peter used to cover) and featured a very earlier automatic operation that meant it could run untended for hours at a time - a marvel in pre-computer days. It also had moving cars. Because we weren't so hot on trains as we were on military things, it remains largely as it originally was (if in need of a little attention here and there). I tracked down the maker (John Mitchell, who worked for Peco) a while back, only to learn from his son that he died in 1993, but the son was duly impressed that his dad's work was still in existence.

Here's a snap of it:

Here it is as featured on a magazine in November 1963:

And one of the pics from the article within, showing some of the road layout:

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2017 14:42 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

David Pickering wrote:
'... (you press a hidden button and the whole thing descends from the ceiling).

That sounds incredible!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: What scale was it - 007?!!! :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2017 14:59 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I used to have fun getting girlfriends to sit down and then press the button so a large part of the ceiling started to descend to the accompaniment of a subdued whirring noise from the motor. One or two of them looked quite alarmed - but a bit disappointed maybe when they saw it was only a trainset. It's HO/OO scale and the whole layout is around 12 feet by four feet (one foot unmodelled behind the background for trains and cars to complete their circuits).

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 2017 12:51 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

You were one lucky kid, David. I mustn't be too hard on my father, as he did let me build a railway layout around two walls of our garage. Best memory was powering an airfix goods wagon with the drive assembly from one of our airfix slot racing cars (I think it was the Maserati), in an early attempt at a sort of tender driven train. The gearing made it hilariously quick in a straight line, but unable to negotiate the slightest curve, but like 'Our Ernie', I did own the fastest goods wagon in the West!

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan 2017 16:46 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Model Portfolio
David Pickering wrote:
I used to have fun getting girlfriends to sit down and then press the button so a large part of the ceiling started to descend to the accompaniment of a subdued whirring noise from the motor. One or two of them looked quite alarmed - but a bit disappointed maybe when they saw it was only a trainset.

Oh my!
:lol:

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017 17:49 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Sad Dad wrote:
My dad burned my teddy in front of my eyes...!

My! That was very sad, really! :(
I couldn't do that to my daughter's toys... I still keep her cubes and Playmobil toys... You know: I used to play with them on the floor, and teach them how to make a doll house using those cubes and hard cover books. They surprised their friends by doing that, because their parents never tought them to do so. Today, my daughters have 30 and 28 years, but still remember those times.

But, my mother never understand my hobbie. When I was 17- 18 years old, she gave away some of my first Airfix models! (planes -including a DC3-, ships -including Lindberg's LST :( !!- and the assembling instructions of my first bagged tanks!!!- Oh, my! Thank God she couldn't find my soldiers and tanks, because I have lend them to my little brother...
Well, I was a nerd, but that was too much...!

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017 00:02 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

I noticed, a "Pullman" Diesel Car, on the layout. That was my first Electric Train Set, (still got it), bought by my Grandparents. I was so disappointed, as I wanted the "Battlewagons", or as a second choice, the "Car Carrier", Train set.
As for my Models, I gave my first collection away to my best friend when we emigrated to OZ, (his Mum was not impressed, with the number). Then I started again, and still got most of the originals, in one form or the other, (a lot got scrapped, but still have bits, in the parts stash.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu 17 Aug 2017 21:53 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I remember back in the early 60's we lived in London and my grandfather used to buy me the Matchbox cars, each new one as it came out. All kept in their boxes in a large plastic bag. Around this time I built my first Airfix kit, the Mitsubishi Zero. Also tried to paint some oo/ho figures, the wagon train set I think, with my parents oil paints from a colour by numbers pack - and on the living room floor! When we moved the bag of Matchbox cars disappeared somewhere. Moving to a large Victorian town house in 1967 I was given the top front bedroom and the ceiling was soon covered with model aircraft hanging from thread (or it might have been fishing line) until one day a section gave way and they all came down. A scalextric layout my father built but seldom used with just one driver was recycled and the baseboard turned into a scenic wargames area, about 6' x 4' - plenty of room for all my Airfix figures and AFVs to fight masive battles with friends. A second batch of aircraft were duly built and my father lent these to the manager of a local cinema to hang above the stalls when the Battle of Britain film came out. They were returned to me battered and broken with no apologies, they were just taken down and dumped in a box when the film finished its run. When I was in the RAF I managed to get in a bit of modelling both in the UK and overseas. One that stands out was my conversion and detailing of an Airfix Hunter F6 into an FGA9 because I was working on them. Everything went well until I tried to paint the blue/red roundels on the wings - no aftermarket decals then - and I messed it up so the whole model got chucked. Can't even think how many hours spent with glue, bits of wire, filler etc I spent on that model. Looking back to those early days I must have built most of the Airfix aircraft plus quite a few ships, cars and military models. Happy days.

2017 target/built 6/7

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug 2017 14:04 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

On the general subject of "The Battle of Britain", I still remember seeing the film in the cinema in 1969, and the stalls having a one sixth (1/6) scale model of a Heinkel 111 (or possibly a Casa 111; memories from age 7 don't include the engine nacelle detail) on display.