Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 25 May 2017 00:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr 2017 08:54 am 
White Star
White Star

: --------------------
Ok, this was not a happy build. I don't know if I was cursed, going through a form slump or it was the below average quality of the kit or all three, but I didn't enjoy this kit at all. I had badly fitting parts, decals that don't fit, dropped a glued part onto the wing and had to redo the wing, used Humbrol red gloss (which is now in the bin) and put Tamiya clear gloss over it and it crinkled more than a crinkle cut packet of chips, couldn't get the wheels painted perfectly, etc etc.. so this was just a tale of woe for me. Anyway, embarrassing or not, I've posted my photos of the finished model. Will tuck this one at the very back of the cabinet. It makes into an accurate enough rendition of the venerable skyhawk but putting it together was a bit of a pain. Thought I'd list some of the things I noticed.

Firstly the parts:
    - Airfix have attached the parts to the sprue with needlessly thick sprue lugs and it made cutting a bit more risky that it needs to be, not to mention the cleanup afterwards.
    - There was a large gouge on the left hand fuselage piece. Fortunately a large decal covers it.
    - The missiles and bombs slot does not fit into the bomb rack as its too small
    - The drop tanks do not fit together evenly and require sanding to make them align properly
    - The wing gunport pieces have a large curve at the end of them that needs to be straightened out at the risk of breaking the piece
    - The cockpit canopy won't sit flush unless you carve a bit off where it hinges onto the fuselage
    - The wheel covers for the main undercarriage do not fit correctly into the fuselage slots because the lugs are too big
    - The panel lines oh the panel lines - these are trenches that give the star wars death star trench a run for its money - why Airfix?
    - The decal for the "danger" label on the air intake does not fit. The air intakes are convex cone like in their shape and there is no way a straight line red decal is going to fit around it. I had to cut them and somehow work them so they could resemble a red line, but it was an unsatisfactory job.
    - No decals for the tailhook striping - what kit doesn't provide that these days?
All in all a very unsatisfactory experience and clearly a kit that was designed by the Airfix "B" team as its nothing like the quality of their other new toolings. Don't get me wrong, just about everyone of these issues is fixable with a little amount of effort (except the decal idiocy) but that's not what I expect from Airfix in 2017. Enough said..

cheers
BT

My Modelling Blog Site

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr 2017 11:24 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
Nice finish :thumb:
Battletweety you may need to see this thread I'm in the process of writing here;
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47356
There are a lot of issues with the 2012 A-4B kit but I've never heard of these fit issues, maybe you got a Friday afternoon kit. The intakes are actually quite good and you really should use the decal inside of the intake and paint the outside portion.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr 2017 14:49 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

Agree with FAAMAN, I had one or two issues with mine, but nothing like described above. Parts fit was tight but nothing that a minimum of fettling didn't solve. I think you're a victim of the non-existant QC procedures at the factory that I know has caused the designers over here no end of frustration. The intake decals are a pain, they need snipping in strategic places in order to fit, but that is always going to be the case. To be honest it would be easier to paint most of it and just use the 'danger' arrow.

RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2017 21:48 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

i am just building this from the Falklands DFD and i have had no problems with this one :scratch:

Airfix club member

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr 2017 12:05 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

: --------------------
Also agree with the rebuttals above, with the note that I did paint the intake edges red and use the decals just for the "arrow" part. As for the "barber pole" stripes on the arrestor hook, I've never seen those supplied as decals on a 1/72 scale kit (any make).

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr 2017 14:01 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Model Portfolio
Dogpile on the nose!

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

PostPosted: Sun 07 May 2017 10:23 am 
Green Star
Green Star

I comend your posting this as whilst there were problems, you continued with and completed the build and shared the results with which you were unhappy. Not every kit build is a happy and fulfilling one. But you learn more from a lack-lustre build than a partial build and bin! And your description reminded me of something I discovered too - you can't use enamel over acrylic.