Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Wed 20 Sep 2017 23:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017 03:37 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

I love the beautiful old Meteor in all her versions and this is fabulous modelling on all counts with the Matchbox Meteor Nightfighter kit. She is far from an ugly old jet to my eyes and the Matchbox kit is actually, really very good considering how old it is There is an NF14 not far from me now at Newark Air Museum and the Matchbox kit's proportions compares quite well to this original. I'm in the process of building the NF14 85 Sqn RAF Church Fenton version of this kit. Church Fenton is not far from where I grew up and the SAAFA airshows and summer camps and flying in the backseats of the Leeds Uni Air Squadron Chipmunks there with the ATC as a youngster are treaured memories of this lovely little unit, now sadly disbanded and closed down from RAF service. It's not an easy kit to build, certainly with a few issues of accurate fit. Particularly the cockpit upper surface assembly to the fusalage and achieving a smooth and seamless joint of the wings to the fusalage. But, as ever, with patient care and careful filling, filing, sanding and smoothing, I'm finding great satisfaction from the way it's going together. Not an ideal first kit for a beginner certainly, but, it's a lovely looking model that's emerging from the box. I have it almost ready for painting now, then the undercarriage gear, aerials and decals will finish it off.
I'm definitely going to build the NF11 and 12 versions too. I hope I can accomplish something like the beautiful finished works of art on show here. Brilliant models gentlemen. Thank you for sharing them!

The official website of the air and sea combat paintings of Simon W. Atack.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017 09:43 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Many thanks for the comments Simon, and I like your description of trying to put the Matchbox kit together. The top decking-to-fuselage was indeed difficult to achieve a seamless join, and on this occasion a added two internal 'spreader bars' within the cockpit area. They did the trick and helped to match the fuselage sides to the top decking, although I can't remember having this problem when I built my earlier NF.12 version.

Talking of which, I will be posting photos of my NF.12, once I've improved some of the decals on it.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun 2017 13:02 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

You are welcome Acklington. Your T-7 model is really lovely and I would really like to see your pic/s of your NF12. Your Meteor T-7 reminds me of the first Meteor kit I bought at an airshow. RAF Finningley, Doncaster in 1970, it was the Frog kit and cost virtually all the pocket money I had. But it was a smashing little model for its day and took pride of place on my bedroom bookshelf for years.

Best wishes
Simon

The official website of the air and sea combat paintings of Simon W. Atack.

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul 2017 07:12 am 
Green Star
Green Star

It's great to hear from modellers who appreciate and build older kits. The Matchbox Meteor was/still is a nice kit. Three quite different versions in the one box. Matchbox kits covered many not so well known aircraft and versions of well known aircraft, quite a few of which being unique then as they remain today. And if I remember rightly this one doesn't feature the overly prominent surface detail either-which was true of most of the 'unique' models like the biplane 'Helldiver' and their helicopters in general. Indeed, the surface detailing on quite a proportion of the firm's kits was very good, eg the ribbing pattern on the Wellesley.

Happy days.