Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Wed 23 Aug 2017 08:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017 09:43 am 
Red Star
Red Star

: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
On the bench today is A05128 1/48 B.P. Defiant Mk.I which I am doing as a Star Wars Rebel Alliance machine
with R2D2 in the back seat/turret. This is based on the Clavework Graphic image which I am trying to reproduce,
but with some limitations. I have printed some decals which I made by just copying the appropriate images from
Google searches into a Word document and printing straight on to clear (not white) Inkject Decal Paper.

I wasn't sure how to represent the interior - certainly not Hu78, so I tried to adopt a vague Steam Punk look
by using blue and copper. I like how it came out. Most won't be seen as I will convert a 1/48 jet age pilot (from
the Airfix 1/48 E.E. Lightning or Javelin or something, I can't remember which) into one of Mr. Skywalker's
contemporaries.

The R2 resin figure was very kindly made for me by Rob in Holland. The pilot figure will need most of the flight
suit detail filed of and I am hoping the painting in the orange and white etc. will suffice to make him look the
part. The actual Star Wars figure was left over when my son gave me all of his old toys to dispose of when he
moved out - as if I was going to do that! Unfortunately he is more of a large 1/72 than a small 1/48 so couldn't
be used directly, but the uniform colour scheme will be copied across.

The image suggests this is a Griffon engined machine with accomodating blisters on top of the cowling. These
I have tried to reproduce by crash molding a pair from an Academy 1/48 Spitfire Mk. IXVe. They were not a
perfect fit onto the Defiant and will need some filler but I think they look reasonable.
I have fashioned a pair of cannons for each wing from two gauges of brass tube and turned down the ends of
the larger tubes a tad by putting them in a drill and holding them against a modelling file while rotating - which
seemed as good a method as any.

Guns are now fitted and will need fairing in with a smidgen of filler. They are perfectly in line but the photo has
distorted them a little!

The spinner is undercoated in Gloss Black ready for spraying Silver later.

More to come soon.
Cheers
Al.

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017 12:05 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

: --------------------
Only yesterday I discovered that the Alliance 'used' the Defiant when looking at some references for the Defiant GB.
It's neat to see someone building this version - I think it's great how R2D2 is a straight swap for the turret - like it's the natural evolution of the aircraft. :D

Modeling is in my blood... well, the fumes are.
My Portfolio
A bit about me

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017 16:12 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Looking forward to seeing this one Al. Will it be making an appearance at Telford?

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017 16:34 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

: --------------------
Brilliant (and I'm not even a SW fan!!! :Whistling: ) All power to you!!! :notworthy:

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017 20:58 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
roadhousedisco wrote:
Looking forward to seeing this one Al. Will it be making an appearance at Telford?

I expect so, if it is wanted! :wink: