Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Fri 22 Sep 2017 16:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun 29 Dec 2013 23:59 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Beaufighter wrote:
Also the bulkheads in front of and behind the cockpit are too wide, so the halves won't glue together unless sanded down.

I didn't have a problem with that, but the wings in my 70's era kit were warped.
A lot of glue, several clamps & rubber bands around the nacelles, they turned out OK.

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec 2016 11:46 am 
Green Star
Green Star

: --------------------
After reading Ratch's thread on classic Airfix Kits Ive bumped my Craftmaster Issue 05005 that i've had lying around for years, to the front of the Que and recently started it
...Though much maligned, this early kit dosen't seem too bad ...Yes there is a bit of flash but over all, the dry fit seems pretty good, with no glaring gaps or major deformities. I can live with inaccuaracies noted in previous posts, though a set of correct after market decals and some better gun barrels would be nice if I could lay my hands on them down here. As for the riveting that has such a bad wrap, in a lot of the reference photos I've seen the rivets are pretty evident, particularly on the Natural Metal ones. I don't mind the lack of interior detail as the vast majority of it would never be seen, but i may attempt to trick up a little the areas that are visible..I've never tried that before, but I have a couple of ideas, so I'll see how I go. I do like the fact that the kit comes with crew figures.
I'm also planning not to depict the battle damage as per the box art, but portray her as having been taken into the hanger and been shown some of the lovin she so deserves and emerging all shiny and new.
Am I about to commit Heresy .. :scratch:
Anyway I'm excited by the challenges this kit presents.
:cheers:

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec 2016 23:25 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Moderator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
: Hawker Hurricane Nut
No Heresy. Weathering and battle damage are up to the modelmaker. It's your kit, you build your way.
Just ask if you want any assistance with tips, references etc. There's a lot of helpful bods here if you need 'em.

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2016 09:48 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Model Portfolio
BUILD IT :!: BUILD IT :!: you'll upset a few collectors but BUILD IT :!: BUILD IT :!:

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2016 10:29 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Thanks Guys...Hewman...I'm already doing that...This Forum is such a great resource and source of motivation. Getting lots of helpful answers and really enjoying being part of a like minded community. :smt024:
Ratch...small steps so far. I've done some of the trickier glazing, next will be to complete all the windows and paint the crew figures....lots of little projects to form the Whole...I intend to use a mixture of Paint and Foil for the finish and would like to share the progress of the project, but not sure if I should do it here, or start a new thread somewhere else on the forum. Still a little green when it comes to forum etiquette... :scratch:

Dean :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2016 10:52 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Model Portfolio
Dean, you can post your work here if you wish, or start your own WIP thread here :wink:
Alternatively you could post it as a Demo Build :idea:

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2016 02:30 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Cheers Ratch...I'll start a new thread in the WIP section...now off to find some threads on painting crew figures... :D

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2016 04:16 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
Dean, go to Google and search "B-17 aircrew clothing", I think you'll get the info you need :nod:
Built two of these so far, the first in 1971 and the second in 1979 (neither still with us) and I have two Airfix B-17Gs to build in the stash, one from 1968 and the other from 1976 (?) will be "Miss Lace" (B-17G-40-VE 4297976 "976-D" 709thBS, 447thBG Rattlesden) using Kits World decals KW72004 and maybe "General Ike" (B-17G-40-BO 4297061 "LL-B" 401stBS, 91stBG Bassingbourne) using an old but still good ESCI Decals #1 USA Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress sheet. I'll cure most faults that really need it depending on the base aircraft.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2016 06:34 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Hi Faaman... thanks for the crew tip...where do you get your aftermarket decals and accessories here in Oz...Ive ordered some stuff on line from Hobbyco, but their lines are fairly limited, and my local store has closed so I can't order through them... :( I would love to lay my hands on some decent 1/72 50 cal barrels ...I'm contemplating trying to make some up out of syringe needles ( my wife is a Nurse ) but I'd much rather take the easier option.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2016 07:59 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

I get what I need from internet stores as my local LMS's are more into doll houses and RC.
Don't use syringe needles, there are quite a few aftermarket replacements for your .50s, I'll get some info or you can just search "1/72 scale 50 cal machine guns" or some variation of to find what you need, you just gotta ask it around the right way :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2016 02:12 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Thanks for the advice Faaman...been a little reluctant to buy off overseas sites...mainly due to impatience...but I'll just bite the Bullet...and find some decent barrels that way...Another Forum member has most generously sent me some spare decals he has so I can cross them off the list.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2016 05:56 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Dean follow this link, they are an Oz business with literally thousands of items;
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-plan ... -am-72-001
or from Eduard;
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... d-brassin/
Hope this helps :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec 2016 10:04 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Sure does Faaman...Thanks mate...Looks like I'll be buyin me some tiny drill bits... :think:
Dean.