Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Mon 24 Jul 2017 11:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri 01 Mar 2013 23:54 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
Nicely finished A-4s guys 8-) :clapping: , Pave your 'special' scheme is brilliant. :clap: :clap:

I've got one of these myself to do (sometime) and although I think this kit is far better than the Fujimi offering, I have some observations to make on this very nice kit.

I'm afraid Airfix got it wrong with some of their details. The wonderfully restored aircraft they've mostly copied on display at the USS Intrepid Museum in New York harbour has many mods from the original USN A-4B depicted in the kit, there is no avionics inspection/access door on the starboard nose on any early A-4A/B plus the bottom of the nose does not sweep/curve up enough and the rudder base is too low making the rudder too tall but not affecting the correct height of the vertical stab, there's doubler panels (way overscale in thickness), and intakes that really should not be there for this bird when it wore this colour scheme "in service" and are only applicable to later modded aircraft, the kit represents the museum aircraft as it is with it's list of mods and Argentine A-4s much better than an "early" A-4B although you should check your references and date on the particular bird you're going to do including the mods fitted to that date. Airfix also missed the prominent fuel filler caps on the "charlie" drop tanks.

Just remember the wing slats would mostly hang in the open position when on the ground (unless strapped closed) as they were operated by gravity/forward airspeed and angle of attack. The Blue Angels and USN Agressor squadrons (A-4E/Fs) would fix their slats closed so they would not open during hard maneuvering and cause a mishap.

A note on finishes, when USN birds went to sea it was a standard practice (although there were exceptions) to paint the leading edges of the wing and tailplane with corroguard, a sort of med-grey silver colour, so check your refs when painting as there is a pic of a VA-94 'B' with this addition. When land based the finish was removed.

On A-4s in general most of the fuselage skin panel lines are filled and do not really stand out as much on a cleanish aircraft, you still see them but not hugely obvious, the access doors/panels are either indistinct or highlighted depending where they are and their painted colour and then 'weathering', chips/scratches, light dents, stains almost always running aft from a particular point or seam unless it's been sitting on the groung for a time and gravity has sagged the stain - hydraulic oil (red/pinkish)/eng. oil (lt.brown/amber) grease "splats" (amber to black) usually on any projection aft of the landing gear and dirty hand prints (around latches/fasteners) and foot prints. plus there is the very distinctive blast pattern on the fuse beside the cannon muzzle down to the bare metal.

I hope this helps guys,
Neil :)

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct 2015 09:34 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Hi Faaman,
I look like your comment but I'm not an expert in translation. I think a good drawing is better that à long talk. Can you make this one ?
A great thank !!
Philippe

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2015 06:56 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Give me a little while Dakota to get some pics together to try to explain. There is actually a great deal wrong with the Airfix A-4B, it's very dissapointing :nod:

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2015 07:44 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Just to get the ball rolling, try these web pages on the excellent Tailhook Topics blog;

Modelling notes ; http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com.au/2 ... notes.html

Overall size and shape; http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com.au/2 ... shape.html

More Modeling Notes on the 1/72nd Airfix A-4B Kit; http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com.au/2 ... ix-4b.html

I'm trying to get permission to use some pics I have so I can illustrate other inaccuracies in the Airfix A-4B.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2015 10:42 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Here's some detailing points that Airfix did not get right.
These pics are from a preserved A-4C Skyhawk, but there is no difference between the J-65 powered A-4A (A4D-1), A-4B (A4D-2) and A-4C (A4D-2N) Skyhawks in the areas pictured
First up the top of the mid fuselage. Note the hydraulic access panels on the spine and there is no bleed air exhaust (only present in J-52 powered A-4E/F/G etc). But as you can see some very noticeable details that have been omitted.
ImageJ-65 mid fuse top details by Neil, on Flickr

The starboard wing,
ImageA-4A to A-4C Stbd wing top common details by Neil, on Flickr

The port wing, note the Charlie drop tank gravity fuel filler (all tanks the same, there aren't any port and starboard tanks), the trim tab on the port aileron and the differences between the port and starboard aileron hinges, also the correct paint demarcation.
ImageA-4A to A-4C port wing top common details by Neil, on Flickr

Images used are in the public domain and used for educational purposes only.

More to come :thumb:
Regards 8-)

Last edited by FAAMAN on Sat 08 Jul 2017 04:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct 2015 11:01 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: --------------------
:thumb: Top FAMAAN, thanks for sharing...... :thumb:
I have two in the stash....

Gerhard

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct 2015 02:32 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Then you've really got your work cut out for you Gerhard, I bought 5 :shock: , and the first one's been so daunting due to the number of corrections required to actually produce a half decent A-4B that I've put it aside for a while :nod: :nod:

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct 2015 10:52 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Keep those corrections coming, FAAMAN. I have the Airfix kit as well and although i really like the look of it as it is, i wouldn't mind investing some quality time on it. :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct 2015 13:29 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Tex, it's just that there are so many 'corrections' (I say errors) and additions for this kit. It's exhausting to sort it all and then apply it, and now I'm working on scanning my refs to get the required pics to illustrate those issues, they start with the extreme nose and end at the extreme tail, one thing that Airfix did get right was the overall length and wingspan. Stay tuned mate :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015 04:42 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Side elevation of both A4D-1 (A-4A) and A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawks.
The only real difference between the two versions is the IFR probe on the Stbd side and the tadpole rudder both fitted to B models and all subsequent models. Fuselage length and wingspan are identical. If you've followed the link to Tailhook Topics you will have seen the Airfix fuselage compared to an accurate manufacturer's fuselage outline, showing how 'flat' the Airfix nose is, it needs to be raised around 3mm to emulate the correct shape as seen in this drawing, also note there is no difference between A and B model noses (apart from the IFR Probe) and the A model drawing is a bit short,
ImageImage8 a by Neil, on Flickr

This pic of an early A-4B (note the lack of fuse intakes aft of the fuselage join) shows details of the forward port nose that I've annotated. The captions are pretty much self explanatory but there are a few notes.
Firstly, the horizontal tail of parked (not stored) A-4's is always motored to this nose down angle to allow maintainers and aircrew to inspect the manual/hydraulic elevator disconnect link through the gap at the back of the stabiliser fairing. This three piece stabiliser fairing is attached to the horizontal stabiliser and therefore follows the movement as the stab is trimmed during flight. This movement makes a very distinctive wear pattern against the vertical stabiliser and is usually present to some extent on all A-4s.
Secondly, Airfix added a panel line above the cockpit air conditioning intake and exhaust that is not on any A-4. Also the emergency canopy jettison push in door is too low on the kit by 0.5mm due to the lack of a IFR probe fairing on the starboard side and the door on that side being too low by the same amount,
ImageImage14 a by Neil, on Flickr

Pic of another very early A-4B showing the starboard side nose. Probably most glaring is the lack of a avionics cooling intake in the extreme nose of the kit followed by panels that just aren't there and items that should be that are missing. As I said above, because Airfix did not reproduce the IFR probe's fairing the starboard side's emergency canopy release is 0.5mm too low and as the two emergency releases are at exactly the same fuselage station they should be mirrored.
The flight control access panels beside the nose gear bay are very poorly represented on the kit and should be deeper with their lower edges following the edge of the gear bay and not parallel to the top panel edge as in the kit,
ImageImage10 a by Neil, on Flickr

Lots more to come
Cheers all :cheers:

Last edited by FAAMAN on Sat 08 Jul 2017 04:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015 08:45 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Great reference pointers Neil, I've bookmarked the topic. :smt024: I also have two Scooters in the stash I've been saving for one of those 'rainy days'...

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015 09:22 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Ralph you may need a rainy month or two for your Scooters to make anything believable out of them :snack: :Whistling: :Whistling:

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015 12:43 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Access panels and other details on the port side of the aircraft are either correct, wrong or missing. Granted the port side's not as bad as the starboard side, but as I keep saying they had the real A-4B 142833/512AK to measure and photograph, so why the errors?? :shrug:
Anyway the most glaring omission is the Engine oil exhaust just forward of the fuselage join. :hithead: :hithead: Here's the real 512's exhaust,
Image512s port oil exhaust by Neil, on Flickr

Most of the access panels down aft have been omitted or placed/shaped incorrectly, my 'touch ups' are just there to illustrate what should be there, including the very large panel below the rudder that goes all the way down to the "sugar scoop" around the exhaust. Just note there is only one large panel for access to the rudder power mechanism on the port side, not as the kit incorrectly portrays on both sides. I'm still searching for good pics I can use on the forum to illustrate all the access panels we need. Most of the pics I have on the subject are from the Web so I really can't use 'em 'ere :roll: :roll:
The pic is of another A-4B from VA-95 just after return to the US after it's combat cruise. The aircraft exhibits some excellent weathering and staining/streaking of it's finish, but please note it is unprototypical to have excessive dirty weathering overall, nor excessively accentuate panel lines as I think I said above, quite a few panels were filled and only just hinted at by slight colour change. Also note the A-4s' been modified with outboard racks, missile rails loaded with AIM-9B Sidewinders, these racks are able to handle a 500lb load.
ImageImage15 a by Neil, on Flickr

The starboard side access panels on this pic from a preserved A-4B are readily apparent and don't need my poor 'enhancing' :roll: As I said above the worst prob back here is the large access panel on the vertical tail that does not exist. Missing is the small oil vent just forward of the starboard speed brake. The furthest forward access panel on the kit is rectangular in shape, but as you can see it really isn't.
ImageA-4B Stbd. access panels a by Neil, on Flickr

Neil 8-) 8-)

Last edited by FAAMAN on Sat 08 Jul 2017 06:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015 23:40 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Just noticed this thread; viewtopic.php?f=63&t=18254

The A-4s pictured are;
A-4PTM Malaysian Air Force, ex A-4C/L;
A-4C USN;
A-4F 'Super Fox' Blue Angels;
A-4B 512AK/142833 very useful excellent walk around pics of the Airfix kit subject by Bob(K) :clapping:
A-4F 'Super Fox" Blue Angels formation of 4 in a museum!!

Excellent thread!! :clapping: :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct 2015 06:58 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

The underside is missing one very important item and lots of details. The important missing detail is the "Aft Engine Access Door" or more fittingly the "Aft Hell Hole" access door, immediately aft of the wing underside on all A-4 Skyhawks. This door allows access to the very important Single Point pressure refueling receptacle, hydraulic connectors, tail-pipe attachment, rear engine mount and various drains, and the bag attached to the centre of the inside of the door used to store all the aircrafts' safety pins (ground locks) to name a few. Often left open on the ground (in the RAN, RNZAF and the few USN/USMC A-4 units I'd seen unless being parked for a time) or at least open during servicing/turnarounds. This door is the reason for the 'bobtailed' 300gal Charlie tank (without fins) in the kit and 400gal Delta tank from ARMA Hobby/Attack Squadron, as it was far easier for this door to be opened far enough to fuel and inspect with the short tank loaded on the centreline station than having the standard finned tail and fairing. Sometimes the 300 gal tank was even shorter without a fairing at all.
Also the catapult launch 'hold back fitting' on the underside of the arrester hook pivot is not represented nor is this area adequately detailed.
Please note the oil staining under the aircraft and where it comes from, this is a relatively new aircraft at the time and yet it is quite dirty, but in a specific way. The oil stains depending on how recent would be brownish for 'aged' and a 'clear' pinkish red (hydraulic fluid) or amber (engine oil) for recent fluids with a smear of clear satin or gloss around some panels due to fuel spills. There would be very few black oily stains if any (usually coming from a 'working rivet', fastener or build up of fluids around a bolt head or similar protrusion) with the odd splash of grease aft of a greasing point (usually dark amber or even tan),
ImageA-4B aft underside by Neil, on Flickr

When a 'standard' tank is fitted the access problem becomes obvious,
ImageA-4B IIIINS Bu.No.142134 a by Neil, on Flickr

When the centre line is not loaded, "oh happy days" :wink: note two bob tailed tanks on the inboard wing stations,
ImageA-4F Hell Hole by Neil, on Flickr

With one of two correct styles of tank in place (this has no tail fairing at all and the tanks' pressure bulkhead can clearly be seen) it is easy to see why the 'Bob Tail'/Tailess tank was fitted,
ImageA-4 Aft Engine Access Door a by Neil, on Flickr

Also missing are the three prominent latches that hold the aft door closed, depending on the mod state of the particular A-4 there were two types of latches, round and rectangular, it seems that the round type was superseded by the rectangular type sometime during the A-4B production run and I cannot find any clear image of our '512's door, so it could be either and I do have pics of both early and late production A-4Bs with either latch!!! :shrug:
ImageA-4L Hell Hole Door by Neil, on Flickr
ImageA-4C Hell Hole by Neil, on Flickr
ImageA-4C 147702 aft underside flaps etc by Neil, on Flickr

A few more views of the 'Aft Hell Hole' door,
ImageImage27 by Neil, on Flickr

Neil 8-)

Last edited by FAAMAN on Sat 08 Jul 2017 06:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2015 06:47 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

On the previous post I forgot to point out on the open "hell hole" pics, the catapult hold back fitting on the bottom of the arrester hook :roll: :roll:

Here's some scrap views in no particular order,
In both port and starboard wheel wells on the aft face are attached the catapult hooks that the wire rope catapult bridal would be looped on to before being slung around the catapult shoe and tensioned prior to launch, as you can see they retract as the linkages attached to the main landing gear operates and pulls the hook flush into the well,
ImageCatapult hook a by Neil, on Flickr
Reproduced with the kind permission of Rato Marczak, (c)2013Rato Marczak- http://www.ratomodeling.com

Another pic of the port aileron underside,
ImageImage26 a by Neil, on Flickr

The starboard aileron underside, please note there is no trim tab on this aileron, the kit incorrectly has a trim tab on both ailerons, the tab is only on the port aileron,
ImageA-4B Stbd. aileron underside a by Neil, on Flickr

The underside of the starboard wing leading edge and slat, please note the light and the access panels, the centre panel is to allow access to the centre slat track's guide rollers' greasing points,
ImageLeading edge underside details a by Neil, on Flickr

These two pics of the inboard and outoard ends of the top of the starboard wing and slat, please note the smooth transition of the wing skin where the slat retracts to in flight, the 'step' in the Airfix A-4B wing leading edge here requires plasticard and filler to remove this step and create a more prototypical look. Also note the two access panels above the inboard and outboard slat tracks held in place by screws to allow access to the slat track guide rollers' greasing points,
ImageImage3 by Neil, on Flickr
ImageImage2 by Neil, on Flickr

This montage I forgot to post is of the undersides of the slats. As you can see the early A-4A/B slat underside is very different to the later build slat. If using the excellent Eduard 73459 PE set for the Airfix A-4B please note the parts supplied for the slat undersides are not correct for an A-4B (I've not seen any images of '512's slat undersides as displayed in the museum) so do not use them. I'll discuss the Aftermarket in a later post.
ImageA-4B slat underside montage by Neil, on Flickr

This next bit may seem to be small potatos and I'm having a whinge, but it doesn't help accuracy when false info is published, so please bare with me.
In the September 2015 Issue of "Model Aircraft" there is a build article for an ESCI 1/72 A-4E Skyhawk by Aurelio Reale on pages 10-12, and although a mostly great article with excellent detailing to a point, the reason I'm mentioning at all an article on an A-4E build in this thread is that the gentleman makes the statement:
Quote ". . . . and wanted to drop both the slats and flaps due to the pressure drop in their hydraulic circuits."
The flaps may or may not droop due to system pressure loss (I cannot remember now if they do or don't :roll: ) but the slats are unpowered!!!! It may be a slip of the editor perusing this article's text not knowing anything about the subject, but what a slip!
Also, and this is just IMHO, the model in this article has been beautifully built and detailed, but has been weathered too heavily to correctly represent a USN combat vet A-4, the panel lines being too over emphasised and dark, some areas that should be weathered aren't and areas that are shouldn't be. This model won the Scale Aviation Modeller Facebook Challenge Competition.
The excellent Detail and Scale No.32 "A-4 Skyhawk" page 6 & 7 has a very good description of the A-4's slats.
End of rant :Whistling: :Pilot:

Regards all :cheers:
Neil 8-) 8-)

Last edited by FAAMAN on Sat 08 Jul 2017 07:14 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2015 10:50 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

From head on it is easy to see the position of the avionics bay cooling intake in the nose. Also visible is the canting out of the In Flight Refueling probe from the separation with the fuselage, it is actually in line with the airflow over the nose so the probe causes very little drag. Additionally you can see the position and sizes of the services intakes in the aircraft's engine intakes and the offset to starboard windscreen wiper,
Image512AK ahead small a by Neil, on Flickr

A close up of the IFR probe's fairing. The Airfix kit incorrectly portrays an air conditioning intake and exhaust on the starboard nose and as you can see there clearly isn't any (just remember that this is the aircraft Airfix measured up and photographed for the kit :shrug: :scratch: :scratch: ), also of note is the In Flight Refueling Probe's red lensed flood light in the leading edge of the starboard intake lip, a feature of ALL A-4 Skyhawks with an IFR Probe,
Image512s IFR probe faring a by Neil, on Flickr

Panel line details on an A4-Bs starboard nose, this is the best view I have of the correct shape of the flight control access panel and it's position,
ImageA-4B Stbd. nose a by Neil, on Flickr

This is a really great pic of an A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawk BuNo.142784/AF508 of VA-76 "Fighting Spirits" whilst part of CVG-6 (Carrier Air Group) on USS Intrepid CVA-11 between 03Aug1961 and 01Mar1962. This shows normal wear and tear encountered by carrier aircraft at the time before Vietnam deployments, cannon blast pattern on the fuselage side, worn/abraded paint on the intake lip, a bomb load of 10 x 250lb low drag bombs on two TERs, follow this link to a fascinating colour film shot during one of Intrepid's med cruises; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APoQ8DoVS_g ; complete with A-4B's being cat shot!!! :Pilot: :Pilot:
ImageImage4 by Neil, on Flickr

Another pic (annotated) of the starboard nose, this time of '512', again please note the differences with the Airfix kit,
Image512 stbd. nose a by Neil, on Flickr

Neil 8-) 8-)

Last edited by FAAMAN on Sat 08 Jul 2017 07:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct 2015 03:02 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Neil, fantastic stuff. :clapping: Do the Aussie Skyhawks differ muchly to what you have covered, or is that going to be another chapter?

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct 2015 07:01 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Tex, RAN A-4G/TA-4Gs are all J-52 powered, and as such will not be covered in this thread which is only for the second J-65 powered version, the A4D-2 or after 1962, A-4B.
Quick note, remove the IFR probe and give it a normal rudder (not the tadpole) you basically get an A4D-1 or after 1962 A-4A.
RAN A-4s were modified A-4Fs, new builds for us as 8 x A-4G and 2 x TA-4G side Nos.880 to 889. Then the RAN bought another 8 ex USN A-4Fs and 2 ex-USN TA-4Fs side Nos. 870 to 879. There are an enormous amount of differences between the J-65 powered A-4s, A-4A/B/C/L/P/Q etc and the J-52 powered A-4E/F/G/H/K/M/N etc.
I do have masses of A-4 info, and could probably do some more threads aimed at each A-4 model and the applicable1/72 scale kits and aftermarket/scratch build to use/modify for each.
I 'spose it all depends on what the other members would like, as it really would be a 'bit' of work and I'd really like to build something . . . . :roll: :roll:
I have 16 ESCI 1/72 scale A-4Es, 2 Hasegawa TA-4J and 2 Fujimi TA-4Js for me to reproduce all of our RAN A-4Gs, well one day I 'spose :roll: :roll:

I hope this answers your quessie mate :pray:
Cheers :cheers:
Neil 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct 2015 10:41 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

The nose landing gear bay in the Airfix kit is incorrect, with incorrect and missing details, here's the Airfix one,
ImageAirfixNWWell by Neil, on Flickr

And here's a few pics of the real nose landing gear bay, please notice the port side has hydraulics, oxygen, flight controls, air conditioning etc mounted, it's hard to see but the starboard side is relatively bare, with nose door uplocks, a large fuse panel (always with a canvas cover) and a few hydraulic pipes. The forward roof of the bay is concave to allow room for the nose wheel, not able to be seen in the cockpit as it's in front of the instrument panel,
ImageA4D front wheel well a by Neil, on Flickr
ImageA-4B Nose well portside by Neil, on Flickr
Reproduced with the kind permission of Rato Marczak, (c)2013Rato Marczak- http://www.ratomodeling.com

ImageA-4B nose well by Neil, on Flickr

The nose landing gear oleo attachment/pivot point should be on the forward face of the panel between the forward and aft nose landing gear well as in this pic,
ImageA-4B NLG attach by Neil, on Flickr

Airfix has provided a relatively accurately shaped nose landing gear oleo, but they've missed the nose wheel shimmy damper that is fitted above the nose wheel fork on the starboard side with a centering roller fitted to the port side. There isn't any nose wheel steering on this or any other J-65 powered A-4. Airfix has provided the box for the carrier approach lights on the starboard side of the upper oleo but they forgot the lights, red, yellow, green from the top,
ImageA4D front landing gear2a by Neil, on Flickr
Image512s NLG by Neil, on Flickr

ImageA-4BNoseGear by Neil, on Flickr
A good view from aft of port to show the centering roller and tensioning spring that keeps the roller in firm contact with the centering cam.

A bit of a prob for me is that most kit Mfrs. do not provide the printed aluminium landing gear servicing/performance placards/charts attached to all oleos of all aircraft since the 50's, just look at the placard on the face of the upper nose oleo.

Neil 8-) 8-)

Last edited by FAAMAN on Sat 08 Jul 2017 08:18 am, edited 4 times in total.