Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A family of Fokkers
PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2016 08:16 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

: --------------------
Here's my family of Fokkers:
Sorry the picture very blurry, (it looked O.K. through my eyes when I took it). This was one of my very, very first Models, (A Frog from memory), did not have the right colours, the pilot is just painted black, (unless that was the original plastic colour), I put the decals on whilst the paint was still wet. Its got pieces missing, and really should be sent to Model Heaven, but cannot do it!
A more recent build, which is a PM Kit, and has been better Modeled by others on this thread.

Something a little different a FokkerG 1. Only 61 where built, 23 were involved in trying to stave off the German onslaught, (flying with the 3rd, 4th, and 11th Fighter Groups), succeeding in downing a few Ju 52's, but within 5 days, there was only one G1 left. The Germans kept Construction going, and used them for Trainers. one G1 with a Dutch Crew, managed to escape, and fly to England. That G1 was tested at Boscomb Down.

This is one that is still in the "Stash". Despite, the boxart, (and choice of 3 different markings)(including Japanese), there was only one prototype built, due to cooling problems underpower, and not to mention how the poor Pilot was supposed to get out in an emergency, (the Germans nutted it out though with the Do 335).

Another in the "Stash", a Fokker F VII, I will be building eventually as something that flew in WW2, not as the "Southern Cross". Are the Frog Tokens still valid? As I have enough for a free Model.
Mike

I have a few Vac-Forms somewhere as well.

Post subject: Re: A family of Fokkers
PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2016 10:36 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
So, meet the Fokkers? :rotfl:

Nice Wingnut!! :clapping:

Never send one to model heaven, good or bad, keep it. I have, so my portfolio says :nod:

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr 2016 04:59 am 
Green Star
Green Star

fokkers good ... fokkers bad its all fun lol

Some nice ones there i was positive i had a D-XXI or somerhing somewhere (looks like the one in the first pic)

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr 2016 05:31 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
:idea: A good thing about digital photography is that you can retake photos for very little time and effort.

I like your theme, btw.

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr 2016 11:18 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Thanks for the kind comments. Its amazing how many different Aircraft the Fokker company made, in its 60 plus years. Hopefully my Photography, will improve, as the Strife, I mean the Wife, is giving me some lessons.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2016 12:32 pm 
White Star
White Star

The Fokker XXI would be an ideal model for Airfix to produce.I remember the model well along with the Beaufort ,Maryland and Barracuda. As I have said many times it would pay the Airfix team to spend a few hours trawling the Frog and Revell sites and look at models they produced in the early days to get some ideas.

I know that yet another stuka/Me109/Me110/FW190 make money but a few early war planes like the Fokker XXI would be welcome for a change. Frrench aircraft of the 1940 would also be great to see.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2016 20:57 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Nice collection! :clap:

The Fokker D21 and G1 are still quite famous in Holland. Personally, I think the G1 is one of the most beautiful planes of WWII. New and decent kits of the G1 and D21 would be quite welcome. 8-)

You might like to know that another Fokker WWII kit has been released recently. The T5 bomber by Valom:

Erik

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr 2016 23:05 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Thanks Erik, I'm not sure what I have in my "stash". I found a MPM kit of a Fokker T VIII, and somewhere there's some old Vac-forms, (I think),as well.
Mike

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2016 00:43 am 
Green Star
Green Star

RCD wrote:
I know that yet another stuka/Me109/Me110/FW190 make money but a few early war planes like the Fokker XXI would be welcome for a change. Frrench aircraft of the 1940 would also be great to see.
I agree completly ,i do have several examples of ju87 me110 fw190 Spitfire ect ,but more such as shared here aswell as pre and early WW2 french and Italian would be very welcomed

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2016 09:18 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Model Portfolio
Are there preserved examples of these aircraft :?: I understand that Airfix R&D only undertake new projects on subjects they can LIDAR :idea:

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2016 10:35 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Ratch wrote:
Are there preserved examples of these aircraft :?:
One or two D21s have survived or have been rebuilt. Only a tail boom is left of the G1 but there is at least one full size replica. I don't think there are any remains of the T5, T8w or D23.

Erik

PostPosted: Wed 20 Apr 2016 11:00 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

There was a Replica built of the "Southern Cross", (Fokker F VII), here in Adelaide. Unfortunately, it suffered wing damage, when it ground looped, and the syndicate that owned it could not afford to have it repaired, and I don't know what happened to it after that.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2016 17:30 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

The Fokker D-XXI ought to be a seller; you'd get options of cowling with or without rockerarm bulges, at least three different canopies, ski's or wheeled undercarriage, machineguns or cannon armament. Decals options for Dutch, Finn and Danish service and German evaluation aircraft and possibly fighter trainers. At least four different camo schemes and silver/metal birds as well.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov 2016 23:08 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Kingsford-Smiths's original " Southern Cross" is displayed at Brisbane Airport in a purpose built Glass enclosure...you drive past it on the way to the international terminal.
I thought I'd read somewhere that progress was being made in returning the Adelaide Replica " Southern Cross " to flying condition...I'm a bit sketchy on the details though.
The tales of "Smithy " and his crew's pioneering flights in this aircraft are truly awe inspiring
Would love to see a new tool version of this historically significant aircraft :pray:

Dean.

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov 2016 06:25 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Your right Dean, the replica is being restored, (but I think in the U.K.), as I saw an article in a recent Aviation Magazine. I have a model of the T V, in my stash Erik, but mine's made by Aviation Usk, (I have quite a few of that brand in my stash, but as yet, to build one). Anway here is my latest addition to my "Fokker Family":
Fokker T VIII of the Royal Dutch Navy, based at De Mok, shot down by a Dornier Do 18 on 13/9/1939. I built this quite awhile back, but thought it would be appropriate to post it into this thread. I still have I think another 4 Fokkers to build in the stash, (plus at least one Koolhaven), so still expanding the family!
Mike

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov 2016 13:03 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Ratch wrote:
Are there preserved examples of these aircraft :?: I understand that Airfix R&D only undertake new projects on subjects they can LIDAR :idea:
LIDAR?
Do tell. :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov 2016 14:42 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Model Portfolio
Its a scanning process that Airfix use to get accurate shapes of museum subjects Phil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidar