Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 08:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Vickers Valentia
PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun 2016 14:52 pm 

: --------------------
Hi Guys!

First post here, and I'm already on the scrounge.

I'm trying to build a model of the Vickers Valentia, mid 30's biplane transport used in Iraq 1940. The problem I have is there seems to be almost no drawings of it. All I have is a line drawing [GA], from a book on Vickers aircraft, but it lacks any detail.

I've seen a note about a drawing by Contrail, from about 50+ years ago, and an article in Airfix mag in the 80's. Also a member here has built a passenger version, in Blue, but I want to build the RAF transport version.

I've got stacks of pictures from the web, but has anyone here got any decent drawings they could share?

Post subject: Re: The Vickers Valentia
PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun 2016 23:19 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

I presume you have seen the tiny drawings on this site? Otherwise, there are supposed to be details in Airfix Magazine Jan '67, Oct '68 and Dec '69, Aviation News Jan & Feb '88, and Planes/Wingspan Feb '93. I may or may not have any or all of those, except the last one, but the collection I've recently inherited isn't yet indexed and you probably can't wait for me to look them out (I do that even slower than I build models - see my workbench postings for how glacial I am at the latter!) - so you might want to hunt them down yourself. If you know which '80s Airfix mag also covered it I might try a (marginally) quicker search for that, but the whole decade is rather too many drawers to cover ...

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun 2016 23:31 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

I might be able to help. I have the kit somewhere in my stash. Will have a look later.
Mike

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2016 00:06 am 

Thank you Dordogne Dodger, for the list of reference material, and hopefully someone will have them.

I know it's a rare bird, so anything drawing wise will be gratefully received.

The Tiny drawing is the one I have, but it's not that good.

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2016 06:14 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Here you go Col. I've found my Kit, (I don't know if its the same as yours or are you scratch building). As I hoped the Contrail kits usually have pics of the real A/c , (I'm building the Albermarle at the moment).This kit has FIVE kits in the one box, (and its a big box too)
Pics from the box.
Pics from the plans.
Pic from "British Aircraft of World War 2. Hope this is some help.
Mike

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2016 14:24 pm 

Great plans wingnutmike.

Love the bolt on bucket for the gunner! Very WWI.

Could I be a pain and ask you to scan the missing bits of the drawings, and email them to wingspl at yahoo dot com?

The engines look fully enclosed, not open radials as in the colour pic. Which one is correct?

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun 2016 20:23 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Contrary to my own predictions of taking decades to look things up, I have now located the Jan 67 and Dec 69 AMs, and all they contain is a couple of murky photos that can be bettered by the stuff on the net. I wouldn't, therefore, spend sleepless nights over the Oct 68 issue (which isn't in sequence in my 'job lot', so is probably missing anyway), since it is likely to just be more of the same. If the 1980 mag has a full article, that might be worth tracking down; but I note one of the internet images is of a Flight-style deconstructed drawing, which I always find one of the most useful things to have when building anything, because it shows the underlying structure, so I'd focus on looking for a decent enlargable version of that. As for Pegasuses (Pegasi is equally correct, apparently!) being shrouded or unshrouded (faired or unfaired?), they often were covered up, as in the Sunderland, but I imagine in 'hot and high' conditions in the Middle East there might be benefit in giving them all the cooling they could get. Personally, I'd go with whatever the best photo available shows - drawings do not always represent what was actually built (or flown)!

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun 2016 06:13 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Will send plans, by end of week. As DD said, it would have depended on the location. I did not study the plans too well, but I think the Aircraft are all modelled for the 1930's, and when I get round to building, like you, I will be doing it WW2, and using the pic above. So I'd build it with the Engines un-cowled.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun 2016 13:57 pm 

My thanks to both of you.

This will help move my project forward, which will be for our flight sim, European Air Wars. All the models I make are free, hence I'm always on the scrounge! :)

I'm also looking for a DH Dragon, Fw-90, Breda Ba65, Sm79, and Bristol Bombay, for our RAF Habbaniya, Iraq, 1940 project.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun 2016 17:10 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Model Portfolio
Col. Gibbon! A blast from the past! I'm glad to see that you're still holding fast to the true faith (European Air War). Here's an item that was recently posted here by des:

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles

The site features a variety of old reference materials, including Profiles, Detail and Scale, etc.

Here's a link to the original post:

Out_Of_Print_Reference_Series_On_Line_about48999.html

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun 2016 19:30 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Will see what I've got on the DH Dragon, and Bombay, and post to you with the Valencia.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun 2016 22:14 pm 

Dancho mate, long time no hear!

EAW has changed a lot in recent years, 24bit 512x512 textures, thanks to an update of the Glide code from 2 to 3. upto 60fps in Windows 10. Full sets of squadron skins, and I'm currently building the Fw 200 Condor using over 2500 elements, from scratch!

Please drop by the old Haçienda, and say Hi to the Guys.