Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 10:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2016 11:01 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

I'm currently working on this kit and I must say it's a joyful build so far. The cockpit took me ages, esp. since I applied the eduard PE-set for this bird. As I figured that masking would be an ordeal I bought the Eduard masking set as well:

And yes I know, much of it will not be visible after installing the glazed nose, but it offers me the opportunity to obtain some experience with PE.

Anyway, I have a question of a historical nature. Does anybody here have any information on operations with the He 177 with Fritz X bombs? For weeks I have been searching the web and all kinds of reference materials, but to no avail. All I have found is that tests at Peenemünde with the Fritz X and the HS 293 have been succesful. The most specific information I found in these documents (in German):
http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/archiv/ ... ritzX.html

Another problem is that information on this matter is confusing: sometime it relates to D0 217's, equipped with HS 293 and mostly it does not become clear whether He 177's were deployed and when and where exactly. Can someone please enlighten me?

Another point. I see that all your beauties are equipped with all 3 Frtiz X's. That is not correct. The Fritz X under the fuselage was left out, as it came too close to the ground. We all can suspect what would have happened when there was contact between the bomb and the ground...
:angryfire:

As for the Revell instructions: apart from the mistakes in the decal numbering there is another omission: the winglets of the Fritz X's should be glued on the fuselage the other way around, with the straight edge on te front!

Cheers,
Jan

My Workbench
My Stash

Last edited by cupofwondering on Sun 03 Jul 2016 21:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2016 18:50 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

According to W. Green: Warplanes of the Third Reich I/KG 50 was equipped with these machines (designated He 177 A-5/R2) and retrained for the anti-shipping role with the Hs 293 missile. On 25 October 1943 it was redesignated II/KG 40 and transferred to Bordeaux-Merignac where it was employed on anti-shiiping sorties over the Atlantic. On November 21 of that year it attacked a convoy with Hs 293 missiles, and five days later it attacked a convoy off the Algerian coast. In January 1944 aircraft from this unit attacked shipping off Anzio, again using Hs 293 missiles. No mention is made of operational use of the Fritz X by these machines, but there is a photograph of one of these missiles mounted under the fuselage of an aircraft: it carries the number (?)72 on the side of the gondola under the nose (p.347). On page 344 there is a photograph of an A-5/R2 with three distinct carriers, one of them being under the fuselage: the aircraft is coded KM-UD and has the number 54 under the nose. It is finished in a mottle on the upper surfaces and probably light blue undersides.

It would therefore seem from this source at least that the Fritz X was only used for training and not used operationally. However Green is not a comprehensive source and there may be German or other sources which provide other evidence.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2016 21:09 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
WARPAINT SERIES No.33 HEINKELHe 177 says the PC 1400X/Fritz X was successfully used against the Italian Fleet caught on its way to surrender, although very few were deployed by He 177 units.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2016 21:21 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

^The Roma was sunk & the Italia badly damaged by Do 217's using Fritz X's.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul 2016 22:53 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

HMS Warspite suffered considerable damage after being struck by Fritz weapons launched from Do 217s. I can't find any references in my library to Fritz attacks launched from He 177s, although there is well documented use of Hs 293. The Fritz weapons in the Revell kits are not bad, but I would recommend the Condor missile sets for even better representations of these little stand off bombs. As Stevef points out there is a good photo of one fitted under the blanked off forward bomb bay in Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich.

peebeep

RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul 2016 07:47 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thank you kindly for your replies, guys! I got this far also ;-)
Anyway, I will try to get my hands on 2 HS 293 as substitute for the Fritz X. Since there is no clear evidence for operational of this glider bomb an I always try to be historical correct as possible, I will use the HS 293 instead.

I've seen the only picture of a He 177, with a Fritz X slung underneath the fuselage, that you mentoined.

Jan

My Workbench
My Stash