Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 08:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017 21:32 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

: --------------------
The F-89D Scorpion was the first all-jet all-weather night fighter of the USAF.
At first instance I thought that building the Hobby Craft 1:72 kit for this large fighter would be a quick and easy job. Until I decided to add some details. I also ran into some minor glitches of the kit.
Let us start with the negative issues. Least of all: the bottom part of the pilot’s control panel was too short. In order to attach it to the bottom of the cockpit, I had to add a panel of about 3 mm.

Another slight issue: two pitot tubes are supplied, but they are not mentioned in the instructions, so the correct locations can only be guessed. I placed them under the wings.

Furthermore, perhaps because of the age of the kit, the decals are difficult to be handled. They need to be in warm water over 3,5 minutes.
A somewhat more interesting feature: in a YouTube movie it can be seen that the rockets are loaded into the launcher and then pushed completely inside. So, during flight the rockets are completely invisible. The kit shows the front parts of all rockets. Although not realistic, it does give a more dramatic impression to the model. (For my even more dramatic additional rockets, see below).

But the most difficult to handle challenge was the bottom plate. It was 3 mm too wide, over its total length. So I had to cut off the front wheel bay, and cut out the middle 3 mm. Cutting off 1,5 mm from both edges was impossible because of the curved shape and the details at those edges.
Now the bottom looks like being a bomb bay.

After the negative issues were solved, I turned to the paint job. Advised by Gerry, I tried to do “the full metal job”, i.e. give the panels various shades of metal “colour”. Adding different types of varnish even increased the number of shades. The shades depend on the illumination angle and the angle of view.

Finally, it was time for the real additions: rockets being fired, including the smoke coming out of the exhausts.

But how could rockets be fired when there was no crew present? So I created a pilot, a bombardier and an assistant pilot. The YouTube movie helped me to select their look-and-feel.

The canopy can be closed.

Let’s fly!

My Portfolio

Last edited by dornair on Wed 28 Jun 2017 19:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr 2017 14:58 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: Model Portfolio
Fine model of one of the coolest-looking, least effective aircraft in history.

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

PostPosted: Sat 15 Apr 2017 19:38 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Great looking Scorpion - just don't take it near any United flights! I have always thought it was one of the best-looking early jets and ought to be better appreciated. Quite useless of course, as Dancho says, but it must have taken some kind of engineering genius to ensure those rockets could never hit anything.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Apr 2017 01:49 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
The pitot static probes are mounted on either side of the nose on production F-89s.
The port probe is approx 650mm forward of the engine intake on the side profile centre line, the starboard probe is also on the side profile centre line but in line with the front windscreen cockpit bow above the intake trunking, both are angled downward approx 30deg. If you had googled 'Northrop F-89D' you would've spotted the correct positioning for the probes in 'images' :nod:

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 09:55 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Despite the issues, you've managed a great rendition of the Alaskan command scheme.

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 10:00 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

@Dordogne Dodger - Major clue in the name "Mighty Mouse rocket" mate. A rocket is an unguided projectile, so reliant on the same dogfight maneuvering and deflection shooting skills as guns, but with many fewer rounds, even in the Sabre and Scorpion "dogs".

I'd agree if they'd been guided missiles.

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr 2017 21:44 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Thanks guys for the info and informative corrections! I replaced all words "missile" with "rocket".
And yes, now I know where the pitot tubes are, I recognize them. Never too old to learn.

My Portfolio