Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 10:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug 2017 11:40 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: --------------------
Reference my earlier comments about "persistence of vision", exposure time etc, I've recently been rewatching the 1980s show "Airwolf" (I know what some of you are thinking, but there's a lot of precision helicopter flying and detail shots of Bell main and tail rotor heads in these shows).

Anyway, since the show features lots of 2-blade Bells in flight (The eponymous machine is a 222, and there are also at least one of Jet Rangers, Long Rangers and UH-1 variants in pretty much every show. There are also Hughes 300 or 500 series in most episodes.) you get to see what these rotor discs look like on film.

The 222 main pretty much always shows up as 2 arcs of between 30 and 60 degrees width. The other Bells sometimes show as 2 similar arcs, and sometimes as 4 smaller ones.

So there probably isn't a "right answer" anyway, since the same design of rotor head doesn't always look the same on film.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 06:54 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

That would probably be due to the speed of the cameras used at the time, in the same way the wheels of vehicles sometimes looked like they were rolling the opposite way.

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep 2017 20:04 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Who is going to be the first to depict the 'now it's going forwards; now it's going backwards' effect (both on film/video and to the naked eye) of the A400M with its wonderful curved propellers? I guess other a/c with similar props may exhibit the same confusion, but the Atlas is the only one I've seen do it, so far.