Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 08:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bristol Boxkite
PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017 10:51 am 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

: Model Portfolio
Does anyone know how the ailerons on the upper wing of the Boxkite worked? It's easy to see how the ones on the lower wings worked, i.e. by a set of wires attached to 'arms' on the ailerons. But there are no 'arms' on the upper ailerons and no means I can see of linking the movement of the lower with the upper ailerons (as I assume there must be). There is, for example, no sign of a rod of any kind. I can see some wires that could pull the upper ailerons down, but nothing to show how they could be pulled up. So how were the upper wing ailerons operated?

Post subject: Re: Bristol Boxkite
PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017 11:06 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

The ailerons 'floated' and were pulled down on one side only as required, which is why when stationary all four hung down.
You need to remember that when the Boxkite was conceived Ailerons were a new idea and aircraft designers were still trying new ideas.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017 14:39 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

As VX275 states, it was the airflow that moved them back up whilst flying, which means that they are all drooping when the aircraft is on the ground. A wire runs between the trailing edges to link the upper and lower items. You might find my WIP thread useful, starting with this post

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017 18:01 pm 
Three Gold Stars
Three Gold Stars

: Model Portfolio
Thanks for the explanation - most helpful. The idea of flapping ailerons seems odd now, but it makes sense.
Ian - I did look at your excellent build with all the rigging and wires. In the attached photo, the joining wires can be seen going from the middle of the lower aileron to the middle of the top one.

This photo is from the replica hanging in the Bristol museum.

PostPosted: Wed 23 Aug 2017 12:15 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

gerry wrote:
In the attached photo, the joining wires can be seen going from the middle of the lower aileron to the middle of the top one.

This photo is from the replica hanging in the Bristol museum.
When I was researching this build, I saw photos of the replica, including the positioning of those wires, but decided the replica did not match some of the (rather grainy) images of the real thing I found on the web and also some line drawings that appeared to show the attachment points being further towards the trailing edges - the line drawings having the attachment point almost on the trailing edge. In retrospect I think I probably drilled the holes a bit too far back, but as

Somehow I doubt there are any 'rivet counters' around who actually saw the real thing(s) - which were effectively prototypes and probably in a process of 'continuous development' anyway, I am not too bothered about it.

As the kit was built to be displayed as a bit of 'smile maker' at model shows - photos of the diorama will be appearing in the near future once I have finished off the figures - I doubt its intended audience will be too bothered about a few inaccuracies - and even the judges at the this years South Cheshire Militare did not seem too concerned as they awarded the partially completed diorama a bronze gong - 'which was nice!'