Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Mon 21 Aug 2017 01:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2017 04:52 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
Now I'm envious, a Windsor, lucky bloke!!!! :clapping:
I always wanted one of these but to finish it 'operational' :nod:

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2017 09:54 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
Interesting projects Mike, particularly the Warwick. Please keep us updated :snack:

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2017 10:00 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

: --------------------
Thanks Ratch. You have the option, of building the Windsor with the bomb bay open FAAMAN, but to keep it with my WW2 theme will be building it as one of the prototypes, (with the gun barbettes).
Mike

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2017 10:51 am 
Bronze Bar
Bronze Bar

: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Lovely unusual builds Mike...dont envy you the vacform kit at all :wink:

My WIP
My Portfolio

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2017 11:18 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

It may be a couple of weeks between posts Mike but it is certainly worth the wait. Interesting projects and top work with the airbrush. Goes to show you don't have to splash out on the most expensive tools straight away to get a good result :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2017 16:42 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Moderator
: Hawker Hurricane Nut
I'll be watching the Windsor closely as I have the Contrail bagged release. I may even be mad enough to build-along-a-Mike. :)

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr 2017 00:16 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Thanks guys for all the kind comments :oops:
Now there's a thought :think: Hewman. We could start a "Non Airfix Kit", group build.

Chris (spitfire 1677), once you have cut the parts out. A vac, is no more difficult to put together than a conventional injection moulded kit, (no plug holes for a start), in fact besides the Arlbemarle, most have gone together quite easily. A lot of vac's you have to scratch build, or raid the "spares stash", for parts, but the Owl I'm working on, I've had to do that, and its a injection mould, ( a lot of the old Frog, and Airfix kits, were lacking in detail too). In fact my recent Buccaneer/Bermuda build was one of the easiest models I've ever done. So don't let them scare you :nailbite: , give one a crack. :cheers:
Mike

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr 2017 11:05 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Firstly thanks very much to every-one for their kind comments.

So much for posting more later on in the week, (that was 11 days ago). Unfortunately I have been busy doing other things, since being on Holidays, and having fine and not too hot weather, (will be glad to get back to work for a rest :heatwave: NOT). Mind you I guess it has been honing my Hobby Skills, (sort of :think: ). I have been doing some painting, (outside of the house, for 2 days), doing some repair work, (fixing the fence), practiced my Airbrushing skills, (using a spray gun on the said fence, and the Neighbours Garage, 2 days). Doing ground Cover, (laying Pine Bark, and planting new plants in my Mothers Garden, 2 days), Oiling the Decking, Garden Arch, and Letter Box, (1 day), and Caulking the Patio Roof, as it has been leaking on Mrs Wingnuts Washing :DancingQueen: :inlove: , (still does :Whistling: , so will have to do it again). So if nothing else, have chalked off a lot of the "Gunnadoo", jobs off the list. Enough waffleing on. So this is where I'm up to with my model builds:-

The Warwick is masked up ready for its stripes.
D Day stripes on, but need a great deal of tidying up.

My previous thread, I had damaged one of the stars, so took the Owl to the Bathroom, to apply a new one, and try and put the decals on the prop, did not hold it properly and it fell on the floor :hithead: :fear: . So this has delayed the finish of this build.

Got their in the end. If you look closely, you will see, the yellow arrow, is slightly broken. Well during re-applying the star decals, I forgot, and was holding it, and when I moved my hold, (was holding onto it tightly this time), the Dove, and part of the arrow, stuck to my Thumb :hithead: . It took quite a bit of effort, and the decal actually broke into another 3 pieces, but managed to get it back into place, and once dried, the Owl got a good coat of Clear.
Where possible I cut the name of the A/c from the decal sheet, (some you can apply like a decal, most just disintegrate in water), not just for my benefit, but for future reference, hopefully for, any museum or collector, that will inherit my collection, when I go to the big Hobby Shop in the sky.

More to follow.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr 2017 11:31 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

I've kept those aircraft identification decals as well, was going to put them onto display stands if I get around to them! I hate it when you get the "dropsies" and it's always one thing after another!

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017 13:01 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Its rare I get the "Dropsies" Gi Joe, normally its when hanging the models from the ceiling. My biggest disaster was, when I just finished my Hasegawa "Emily", and was really proud, that everything moved, (even the double flaps). I was just pushing the first pin into the ceiling, and reaching down for a pair of plyers to push it in further, when I saw my Emily, with propeller's spinning full throttle doing a nose dive. Even though I was on a ladder, I got hit in the face by a wing float :crybaby: . Any way, a bit more of an update:-

Decals are on the Woomera. I had to raid the Decal stash, as the kit decals are damaged, and useless. I tried applying the serial numbers, and they just disintegrated, when they got soaked in water. So I used Novascale RAF letters and numbers. The rest of the decals I feel sure are ESCI.
Not the best of pics, but you can just see the serial number. These were not the easiest to apply, as you have to cut each individual letter from the sheet, and apply the same, (individually).
Torpedo racks, Guns, and Pitot tube, made from Evergreen tubing, (torpedo racks), cut thinly, edges rounded, and cut in half, and the rest of the parts, made from rod.
Radio mast, gun barrels, and ADF Loop, made from Evergreen Rod. The ADF Loop, I had to make as I had a nice brass etched one, but after praying to the :carpet: I had to make one out of Styrene tubing. Firstly cutting it as thin as I could, then using one of my Rotary Tools shaping bits, carefully thin down the plastic, and tried rounding it, they cementing it onto a piece of rod. The gun barrels of the .303's I carefully shaped the ends, with my rotary tool, to give the ends a "flare".

I have the gunner sitting, aiming to the right, so have glued the Starboard Gun Turret accordingly.

The Torpedoes are in place, and final paint, and coat of clear, and that no. 4 for the year done

Image :yahoo:

This has been a very challenging build, but have thoroughly enjoyed building it. I have spent almost as much time researching the A/c as I have building. It was a basic kit, and a lot of scratch building has gone into it, (also replacing resin parts, with styrene ones). I will post a separate thread on the development, (or lack of, as only 2 were built, and one crashed), later.
So before going much further with my builds, I hung the models built so far from the ceiling. So here are my latest "dust collectors" :fear: .
Woomera, in amongst a few "heavies". I tried hanging it next to my Wirraway, and Boomerang, but (you can just see the wing of the latter in the pic), this was as close as I could get it.
Builds numbers 1, and 2, for the year. Brewster Buccaneer, and Boing/Stearman SNJ.

Curtis Owl, (now we know what Igor was peering round the tail at), number 4 for the year.

The Warwick, is crawling along at a snails pace :worm: . I noticed I have left off the air intakes, and oil coolers. So after locating them on the sheet of styrene, along with a lot of other parts that I wouldn't have a clue what they are for :shrug: , have been busy, cutting out and sanding back. Another thing, it come with 2 types of coolers, and I will have to look up my downloads to work out which ones they are, (unless some-one can tell me which ones the GR I-II had. The long ones, or the short ones).

I have made a start on the Windsor. Now, all you Vac Maestro's out there, do not read the following :nailbite: . I know this is not how you are supposed to build a Vac-Form model, but I find this a lot easier, more accurate, and a lot less faffing about.
Using a strong pair of scissors, cut out the parts.
For the larger parts, use a cutting disk, on a Rotary Tool.
Save the offcuts, as these can be used for making bulkheads, seats instrument panels, and for joining the fuselage halves together, (and for use in other models too),(saves buying styrene sheet).
Parts roughly cut out, now out to the Garage.
Using a belt Sander, sand back the parts until the excess plastic, is worn down almost to nothing. In my past experience, if you use a fine marking pen,(like you are supposed to), and sand the part down until the pen line disappears, you wear too much of the part off.
After 2 hrs, the parts look like this. Also I use a Razor Saw, and put cuts, into the Aileron's, Flaps, Trim Tabs, Rudder, and Elevators, to make it look as if they are movable.
Started cementing parts together, and this is as far, as I have got. So that's it for this weeks WIP, thanks for looking :thumb:
Mike

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017 17:41 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Impressive work Mike. You obviously have the patience of a saint and the skills to match. :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017 23:37 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
Air Traffic control has some severe issues in your "airspace" Wingnut :shock:
Great Woomera :clapping: :clapping:

PostPosted: Thu 04 May 2017 22:34 pm 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

: Moderator
That is quite a collection! The Windsor is off to a good start, I've never had the nerve to try a vac form.

PostPosted: Fri 05 May 2017 23:38 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Arpie wrote:
That is quite a collection! The Windsor is off to a good start, I've never had the nerve to try a vac form.

Thanks guys, give a vac a go Arpie, you will be surprised how satisfying they are to build.
Mike

PostPosted: Sun 07 May 2017 13:11 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Wow, your airspace is like a complete catalogue of the history of aviation! Very impressed! There's a lot of hard work gone into that collection. The vac form WIP is interesting, will be good to see it coming together.

My Portfolio
My W.I.P

PostPosted: Mon 08 May 2017 11:15 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Great work as always Mike... :clapping: ...How many are left on your list of WWII Aircraft to build...?

:cheers:

PostPosted: Mon 08 May 2017 12:00 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Once again guy's, thanks very much for your comments :thumb: , they are greatly appreciated. I still have around 175 + kits in the stash Dean. A lot of rare kits too, (roughly 1/3 Vac's, 1/3 resins, and 1/3 Injection).

I'm getting really slack on this posting lark :fear: . So here's the progress so far:-

Firstly the poor Warwick, is going together at a very slow pace. Reason being, it has a lot of white metal parts, which make the Vac Model heavy, in certain area's, which I've found when suspending them from the ceiling, can have dire consequence's, (had one model hanging with one wing off :Whistling: , which I've since learnt to fit wing spars into all my vacs). So I have been busy making resin parts. Not only for the Warwick, but the Windsor, and Lincoln as well, (future build).

Here are a series of parts I have been making. They include, exhausts and wheels for the Warwick, U/c legs, Engines, Props, (Props not shown in this pic) for the Windsor, and Lincoln, and also not shown, wheels for the Lincoln.

I used my Hobby Tool, to drill out the pattern in the wheel hubs, as the white metal wheels did not have this.

Whilst I am still working on the wings, Tail, Rudder, components, at work, (scribing the panel lines). I have been busy on the fuselage of the Windsor. Using leftover scrap strips from the model, (and the Warwick), I have glued this to the inside edges of the fuselage. Firstly to give it extra strength, and secondly, help in joining the two halve's together.

Windows, cockpit, and rear gunners position, cut out, and a bit of trimming required here and there.

Slapped a bit of HU 78 on the inside, cut pieces of clear plastic sheet, and glued them into the windows.

Fuselage halves cemented together. I forgot to take pics of the cockpit :fear: . Not that there was much to show. I made it up out of a piece of scrap styrene, for the floor. The Pilots seat was from the stash, so was the pilot, (actually from a kit not a home made). I also put a X-ray film Instrument panel in as well but it cannot be seen. I still have to add a control column , (homemade).

When gluing the Tail together, I added a couple of pieces of Evergreen Strip, as a fillet, because the Rear Fuselage, when I was dry fitting the fuselage together was too narrow, for the Canopy. Whether I went a bit mad with the sander, (may be, but I doubt it), or the Vac part was not quite moulded deep enough on one side, (I've had this happen with other models), it is a bit narrow. So when dry, will shape and fill it to the correct shape.

Well that's about all of this weeks posting caught up with. All except for a sneak peak, at my next "work" build:-
RS Models 1/72 scale Fokker D-XXIII
Despite the dramatic box art, and the choice of 4 Aircraft colour/marking scheme, only one prototype was built. Will post more detail/info when I get round to starting it.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat 20 May 2017 21:38 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

: The Hooded Claw
RS models,never eard of then info please.. :lol:

nigel.keys5

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017 08:10 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

The Woomera is an unusual looking aircraft. Lots going on here; always an interesting workbench to visit :clapping:

PostPosted: Mon 22 May 2017 08:41 am 
Bronze Bar
Bronze Bar

Wow Mike! A Warwick and a Windsor, I am really looking forward to seeing these progress. Great subject choices :thumb:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next