Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 25 Apr 2017 05:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

Post subject: Re: TunguskaMonAmour WIP
PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017 04:43 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

: --------------------
Araldite, (2 part epoxy glue), is a good substitute, for resin, (I used to make pilot figures, out of it), but use the long setting, as the five minute tends to be a bit "rubbery".
Mike

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017 14:26 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Great start with you work in progress ! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017 19:48 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

I received this Fujimi fenced wing Sabre a couple years ago from a friend, who received it from another guy. who seems to got a lot of frustration with this kit and threw it away half baked, with the fuselage complete, the windscreen broken and a resin wheel wells set that put a lot of resistance when I tried to attach the wings to the fuselage. I left it to rest a few months, now I'll give it a first coat of paint.

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar 2017 11:29 am 
Bronze Bar
Bronze Bar

: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
:snack:

My WIP
My Portfolio

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr 2017 22:02 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Working on the F-16s. The initial idea was to concentrate only on the Hasegawa F-16C, but decided to try to repair the Fujimi F-16A too. If everything goes well, this will result in two "frankestein" models, with the Fujimi wings in the Hasegawa kit and the wings from an unknown (probably chinese) kit goint to the fujimi Falcon.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr 2017 07:03 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

:scratch: You've got me confused, (not hard), but the builds are looking good.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr 2017 08:08 am 
Bronze Bar
Bronze Bar

: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
The Vipers are looking good mate :thumb: any idea of the schemes you are going for?

My WIP
My Portfolio

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr 2017 15:24 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Mike, the story goes more or less like this: When a friend went to live abroad many years ago, I inherited some of his unfinished models. One of those kits was the F-16C with the starboard wing missing and a lot of the nasty work already done (all the photoetched parts fitted in the fuselage). As I had a botched Fujimi F-16A (one of my firsts attempts with airbrush, I believed that any mistake could be hidden with another coat of paint) I decided to transplant the wings to the better Hasegawa kit. Recently, another friend gave me a very crude pair of wings from an unknown brand (seems like a chinese copy of the italeri kit) and now, with 2 fuselages and 5 wings I though I could get 2 models, with the Fujimi wings to the Hasegawa kit and the chinese wings to the Fujimi one.
That was the plan until last night when I fitted the F-16C fuselage and discovered that the Fujimi wings are much thinner at the root, so the F-16A will be 100% Fujimi and the chinese wings will go to the F-16C (Right now I'm sanding the thick coat of putty needed to fill the rough panel lines in the wings).

Chris: didn't made yet the decision of what schemes I'll do in the models as they are old kits, they don't have decals, so I must check into the spares. Got some greek, israeli, danish and belgian insignias, but I need to find some suitable codes and numbers. One a/c will be an israelí example, that's for sure as I have an Almark sheet of decals with stencils and squadrons crests.
The alternatives in my mind are these: the F-16A danish or belgian and the F-16C IDF, the other option (the more appealing to me) is the F-16A of the IDF and the F-16C greek, with the four-tone scheme. I have to take that decision soon, because depending of which version, I'll must lenght one or both of the rudder spines.

In other news (?), I'm still trying to get the inspiration and courage to make the four wing pylons for the T-28, and had to strip the paint of the Sabre, after a first coat of silver that looked exactly like sandblasting over a metal surface.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2017 23:50 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

The Vipers got their wings attached. To advance, must decide now what decals and markings will use on each, as there are a multitude of details different in each one, antennas here and there, wing pylons, tails, etc. Actually I'm considering the idea of doing both in IDF/AF scheme, one early and one contemporary, one with everything closed, one with all open, one with heavy and the other with light loads and so on, to enhance the contrast, I don't know.

Finally made the pylons, and a set of strips over the exhausts. Need to check pics and drawings, but I think is pretty close to the painting stage.

And started to paint the Sabre a few days ago. I'm waiting to the weather improves to continue, too rainy for paint. The idea is to make a Philippine Air Force plane, using some spares from an F-86D set of decals.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr 2017 00:25 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Good idea about doing the contrast, but sounds like you are having the same trouble as many people on this forum, when doing a conversion. I remember doing a B 18 Bolo, conversion, using a Contrail kit, and a MPM DC 2. Even though the B 18 had DC 2 wings, the Contrail, was designed to have DC 3, (much larger), and had all the trouble in the world with the wings roots.
Mike

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr 2017 01:56 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Not only that what you mentioned. Most probably that conversion kit was made for a specific DC-3 kit wings. I got in front of me the two F-16's, and both seems like F-16's but side by side there are numerous differences between them. The three wheels wells and the air intake of Hasegawa are noticeable smaller than Fujimi and the three sets of wings are quite different between them. I've finally choosed the "unknown origin" wings for the Hasegawa F-16, as they are thicker than the Fujimi ones and needed less filler.
Right now I have a mess in my head as I want to put some specific features in the kits: I want to put a Litening/Lantirn pod in one model, want to make one a/c with long dorsal spine and other with the shorter, and finally, want to make one example with AIM-120 in the wingtips and the other with AIM-9.
All this when is translated to reality put me in these dilemmas: can't find a pic of a single seater Barak with the pod. Danish and belgian Falcons have the pod, but I don't have the gray numbers for the danish plane and don't want to make the belgian example because it has the long dorsal spine, like the israeli Vipers. The greek version was discarded because I don't have all the paint colors.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr 2017 23:48 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Obviously you are on a tight budget, as I know, the letters would/should not be too much of a problem, as you get virtually get every kind of colour, shape and size, (I bought some U.S. yellow ones, as I did not have serial numbers, from Hannants). The missals once again, could be bought too, (or put an SOS, to the forum members, and see who has got spares). The colours, being just for one model, could you use the colours you have got, and mix, to make the missing ones?
Mike

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017 04:03 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Well Mike... tight is not the right word. Nonexistant budget will be more appropiate. Plus, as I'm using every income since the last six months for buying foreign currencies, buying even a sheet of decals of 10 dollars is a sort of bycott to my plans. Not to mention that for a commoner, is more easy to get a package into North Korea than to Argentina, the system itself deters from making a purchase abroad. In any case, if you google images of Danish F-16's you can see they use a very own font, not even close to a Helvetica type, most probably doesn't exist in decals. Right now i'm gonna try this idea: I painted a piece of clear decal with ghost gray, put the codes in dry transfers, next I'll paint with gunship gray and after it dries I'll rip the transfers with tape. If it works I'll get the numbers in ghost gray.

For the ordenance, fortunately I have a good spares box, and I decided to keep for myself the weapons sets from Hasegawa so I guess I have almost anything I would need. And I must say that doing weapons in scratch is one of those things that I enjoy of modelling (right now I'm looking pics of the Rafael SPICE to see how difficult coul be to make a pair)
To make the greek Viper I have 2 of the five colors I've found listed: the one for the radome and other used in the edges of tail planes and rudder (not much surface to cover with those colors)... no one used in the actual camo scheme BUT, after a search in the tables of equivalences in the web of IPMS Stockholm, I got an idea of the kind of colors they are: one (agressor gray) seems to be another name for the dark grey/gunship grey/sea grey/etc., the second is some sort of gull grey, a bit more darker or a bit more deep in hue, perhaps more brown, and the third seems to be a mix between neutral grey (Modelmaster 1721) and a bit of blue (perhaps Hu144).

To be honest, I'm looking with more appeal the idea of doing both aircraft in IDF/AF livery. In the last days I'm pondering the idea of put them on sale after finishing, and I bet they could be sold more easily as israeli planes rather than danes or greeks. I've just put an F-15E in oven cleaner to add it to the repair queue, with intentions of doing an F-15I Ra'am, and maybe try to sell the three as a lot. I'm also looking to an Italeri A-4F and a Matchbox Mystere IV, to build them and put them into a lot with a Heller Ouragan I've done some time ago (I got an Airfix Super Mystere B.2, but I never would sell that kit).

In any case, I have the intention to emigrate ASAP to Europe, with some luck (luck to raise enough cash, I mean) that would be early in the next year, and probably would be the best to try to get some money from my collection (probably I'll keep some, the most cherished ones, and store them in boxes) rather to leave them to the mercy of my mother, who probably will give them to the neighborhood kids, who will destroy them in a matter of hours. These are the things i'm pondering and evaluating in my mind in the last time.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017 11:12 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

The decal idea is intriguing. I will be interested on how you do it, and how it turns out, as I need to get some Lockheed logo's from somewhere, and I'm not prepared to pay over $60 AUS, (plus $37 AUS postage).
Mike

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017 14:45 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

The masked decal didn't work. So you better look for other options to get the Lockheed logo, Mike. If you can print it in laser I can do the vectors in Corel or Illustrator

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017 23:16 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Thanks for the offer, but I just have a ordinary ink printer, (plus 2 spares still in the boxes, got them very cheap from "Office Works", don't know if you have the store in Argentina). My Constellation, can stay in the stash, for a few more years.

Is there a market for built models? Unless it was "pick-up only", it would be difficult to post them, without damaging them.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017 03:20 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

As I said, the attempt to get the gray codes failed (...miserably), so I'm going for two israeli vipers, one earlier Block 5/10 "A" with small stabilizers (just cut them a few days ago) and lightly loaded and a "C" Block 30 with a heavier and varied payload.

The Israeli C got bigger ECM bumps in the nose and ones even more bigger on the sides of the intake, plus the longer fin. I'm going to use the undercarriage doors from a Monogram XF-16XL instead of the original ones in the Fujimi kit, they are a bit smaller but are much more detailed

I've repaired the legs from the fujimi kit that were broken in several parts, drilling small holes, adding tutors fron stretched sprue and the missing ends with (this is one of my secrets...) plastic tube from lollypops, stretched with heat just like sprue. The tube maintains the hole in the center no matter how thin you stretch it (good for making guns and pitots). The actuators came from the XF-16XL kit, as one of the original actuators was missing. After gluing them in place, the legs seems to be a bit misaligned, so I'll try to correct that varying the position of the height of each wheel

Here, the weapons load for the A (left) and C. I'll try to get a couple Python 4 from R.550's and must modify the tails of the GBU bombs from the Italeri weapons set to make them as most modern Paveway II.

I've detailed the F-16C exhaust inner side with two interleaved layers of self adhesive vinyl strips, one layer a few millimeters shorter and chamfered at the ends. The results were pretty good, the process was quick and much easier than with brass photoetched.

If the weather allows me, tomorrow I'll continue with painting on the Trojan and adding a few different shades of metal to some panels in the the Sabre. The Phillipine aircraft I'm planning to make show some erased previous markings from the 8th TFW in the tail

Last edited by TunguskaMonAmour on Sat 22 Apr 2017 03:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017 03:34 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

We don't have Office Works, but here is Staples, wich I guess is the same kind of business Mike.
A friend once bought a couple of sheets of clear decal, special for laser printing and took them to several graphic printing stores until one of the owners accepted the risk of putting the sheets in the printer, so I though you can do the same.

About selling kits, frankly I don't know. I saw quite a few kits in the local version (local version = plagiarism) of Ebay, but I don't know how well they sell (the prices I saw varied a lot and the quality is always low). Plus, I suspect it depends a lot on the topic: Argentine subjects for sure could be sold well (unfortunately, as a personal policy I don't make argentine aircrafts). I'm planning to offer them to the owner of a hobby store in Buenos Aires, as the last time I visited him to buy a few paints, when I told him I was selling all my kits he asked me for the finished ones.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017 04:39 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

At least that sounds as if you have one problem solved, (a local buyer). The Sabre and the Trojan, sound very interesting builds. Oh BTW, have you made any Antares models, as they are made in your "neck of the woods ", so to speak, (Marcello Russo)?
Mike

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017 16:07 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Sorry Mike, but I never made an Antares kit. German aircrafts is another subject out of my interests (I've made only a couple of 109's and a Dora in my entire life) and I specially I avoid like if its ebola infected anything related with Luft '46. It's something that I carry over since I was a youngster, I know that the modelling scene has evolved thru the years, but back in the 80's 70% of modellers here were doing argentine or WW2 german subjects (and I looked them as nazi wannabes the firsts... and straightforward nazis the laters).