Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Mon 24 Jul 2017 19:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 08:40 am 
Bronze Bar
Bronze Bar

: --------------------
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
: Model Portfolio
That's good progress :thumb:
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 20 May 2012 15:40 pm 
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

Looking foward to seeing so much more .. . :thumb:  :thumb:  :love:

Avro Lancaster Enthusiast.
Builder: RAF Station Grimsby diorama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 20 May 2012 18:35 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks guys
Now the weather is warming up i am starting to feel ready to risk spraying the Aliclad on the trident.  The sandrinham is moving slowly forward between other builds and trips away

Regards

Phil

Stock:239. Underway:14. Built:7

PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec 2016 00:47 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

well, just over 4 1/2 years later the build continues, for someone who retired I have been exceptionally busy, but now have time so the hanger doors have been pushed back, the tool rack dusted down and here we go.

The dorsal seam had opened up so it was pulled in and thin cyano was run into the seam and accelerated. this will be backed up with pasticard to stop a repeat (this was the 3rd time this had happened) after a rub down of existing filler a further witness coat of grey primer was laid on. While the primer was out the wings were given a light 'de-rivet' with some 800 grit wet and dry, used dry. This revealed that both the wings and fuselage needed some further filling in a couple of areas but that will wait until the rebuilt nose and tail profiles need to be blended in.

The three square profiles along the 'waterline' of the hull are braces fitted to stop the fuselage walls flexing, part of the cause of the seam failure. they will be removed prior to the finished aircraft being mounted on a diorama base.

The nose was prepared for the reshaping by initially removing the area from just in front of the cockpit to the level of the front turret mount, easier to see on the picture than explain.
The red line is the rough shape of the new nose section. My initial thought was to make a master and cast it in resin, I may still do this but we will see. The route will be the same, a profile former from plasticard will be fitted on the vertical midline and the bulk of the infill will either be polyurethane foam topped with filler or Balsa, probably balsa as it provides a better surface without too much filler and is 'tougher' when sanding so finer changes can be made without having to be too cautious

Everything was then put aside to harden up ready for the nose profile to be fitted and the new nose formed over the next few days.

Thanks for dropping in, really must get the kettle bought over!

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2016 18:15 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

It is a tad nippy in the waterside hanger at the moment but work must go on! Today's task was the fitting of a profile former for the new nose. In the real aircraft the nose was rebuilt with new frames and stringers fitted, but this would be a much blunter approach; fit a profile and fit filler blocks. These will be shaped to suit.

The tools were gathered; a profile drawing to 1/72 scale, carbon paper, plasticard, and a fine tipped pencil.

Transferring the outline this way is 'non destructive'. The pencil lines can be erased and the drawing reused.

The profile is cut out and fitted to the nose area using cyanoacrylate adhesive for the rapid hold

The profile was further backed up with some internal supports and set aside to harden overnight.

To finish the day off all the control surfaces were assembled. The tail and rudder will be needed to provide a datum for the development of the tail fairing that fits to the area currently occupied by the rear turret mounting.

OK, time I was off for a brew. See you later, thanks for dropping by.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec 2016 18:56 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

With the master profile fixed in place yesterday, it was time to build up the nose and tail fairings.

A number of views of the two areas were studied to consider the best way forward;

This was done with a built up lamination of balsa (4mm 2mm and 0.8mm) it was joined with cyno and, as per plywood, each lamination was set cross grain to the previous. That and sealing it with cyano should prevent any warping. I was glad to be able to use the spraybooth as a fume cupboard as the heady blend of cyano and accelerator would have been pretty unhealthy.

The infill was shaped to the primary profile installed in the previous session

The square lamination was then 'roughed in' to form a solid core for further work over the next few days

This was then put aside to both harden off and for all fumes to disperse.

The engines and the new cowl castings were united for the first time, and look fine.

and one was set onto the wing mounts to see if any spacing would be needed to allow props to be mounted, all looked well;

That was it for this session, more over the next few days

Thanks for dropping by :D

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec 2016 18:13 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Today's activity centred on building up the balsa core for the new nose, The main core was further smoothed and prepared to receive balsa overlays

Then suitably shaped pieces of 0.8mm balsa were cut, and scribed across the grain to ensure they were as flexible as possible.

The entire nose was covered with overlays and then soaked with cyno to harden the soft balsa. Once again the spray booth was used for fume control.

[Image

This was then put aside to fully cure ready for further shaping and filling.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan 2017 22:22 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Further progress on the nose today. After the last session it had been filled, and now it was sanded back to see how close to shape we were;

Other than needing to start the transition nearer to the front of the cockpit canopy, this is looking fairly close. The rubbed down areas were treated to a coating of thin cyano to harden the balsa up, and thus reduce the removal rate when sanding. This allows for much finer control of the shaping process.

The model was put aside to fully cure and to let all the cyano vapour disperse, another use for an externally ducted spray booth :nod:

Thanks for dropping by

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun 2017 17:01 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Well, as I had the Alclad out for a Lancastrian project, I set about masking up the Trident to receive the undercoat for it's NMF. The white and red areas have been on since 2011 so should be hard enough to mask over :D

ImageImage

a couple of coats later ....

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jun 2017 21:54 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

The base coat was given a light coat of Kleer to enhance the gloss. When this was cured it was time to spray the Alclad. Very interesting material. The finish was rather good though!!!

Alclad has a reputation as a fragile surface so a light overcoating of clear was laid on. This is not generally recommended BUT it seemed to have little if any effect on the finish. After all these years this element of the GB is approaching its long lost finishing line :D

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jun 2017 11:56 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
Looks good 8-)

PostPosted: Sun 04 Jun 2017 21:51 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks Ratch, quite pleased for a first time use.

However... I have spotted one area that needs amending; the white roof colour needs to come about a 3mm further down so that its edge sits behind the over window 'cheat line' You can just make out the filled windows in the area behind the door

This is where the overcoating of Kleer comes into its own, as there was nothing else to do but mask up and lay some paint on. Fortunately I still had some of the Halfords Appliance White in stock

once it had gone tacky, the masking was carefully stripped off to leave a new lower edge...the ridge is no problem as this can be rubbed back with a fine sanding stick and will be hidden under the cheat line decal

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun 2017 16:26 pm 
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

Dedication thats what you have . . . :clapping:

Loving both builds but the lengths you have gone to with the Sandringham are brilliant :notworthy:

Avro Lancaster Enthusiast.
Builder: RAF Station Grimsby diorama

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun 2017 17:27 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Thanks Ian, slow steady progress :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6