Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 21 Sep 2017 08:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2014 12:53 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

I don't know if the right place to post this question...but
Does the new version of the Bentley still come with the nylon gears and shafts (ie 6N,7N,83N), the metal drive shaft inside the rear axle and the battery box and cover (236B,235B)? Curious as I want to build mine as static which will leave the motor and its electrical connection free for another use but obviously I would still need to use the nylon and metal drive shafts.
Or to put it another way does the new Bentley just lack a suitable electric motor?

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jan 2014 16:47 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

One I built some years back was without the Motor and Gears.....so I would guess the newer release is also without.....

Birderman
London,UK

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan 2014 01:01 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: --------------------
I've read the kit description when I was considering buying one and there is no mention of it ever being motorized. Those kit are few and far between now days.

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan 2014 14:44 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

I don't remember my mid 1970's version having a motorised option when making it, however, looking through the instruction leaflet there are instructions for assembling the gearing and motor and fitting inside the engine block on the first page. There is also a note saying that the motor itself is not included (as usual). Further on, the back axle has various bits of gearing shown and the battery box is also present.

I don't remember using any of these parts on mine or even whether they were included in the kit and that went a couple of years ago. I don't suppose that makes it any clearer either. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan 2014 16:29 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
The electric motor was listed separately on the old price lists :geek:

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan 2014 17:56 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

I made this for someone back in the 70's and it definitely had the option to use the electric motor and nylon driveshafts etc, only having poly cement made construction interesting.

IPMS member 13348. Airfix club IRWI54B955E
Portfolio W.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jan 2014 16:03 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

The original was motorised, the intention being that if you lifted the rear, or jacked it up, the rear wheels would rotate. However, Peter Allen, its designer, admitted he could never really get it to work, so I guess latewr they stopped doing it.

jezbrook

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jan 2014 16:13 pm 
ATF Founder
ATF Founder

: ATF Creator
: Administrator
: Group Build Leader
: AMSIG Member
: ex-Royal Navy
I helped my friend make one of these in the Seventies when it first came out and we were both disappointed when we found that the motor was not powerful enough to make it roll across the floor - or even the kitchen table! It was so depressing after spending so much time making it! :cry:

Dave

My Portfolio + My Works in Progress + My Stash. "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

Stash: 158. Built: 1967-1980: 250. 1981-2005: 4. 2006-2010: 52. 2011-2015: 119. 2016: 33. 2017: 9.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Aug 2017 12:46 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

: --------------------
Back in the 1960s and 70s it was popular to motorise kits, the first I encountered though was the 1/24 Airfix Spitfire. I may be wrong but I think you had to flick the prop to get it running, then followed the ME 109 but not sure about any others.
As to the Bentley I always thought the idea was to mount it, both ends slightly raised and do the same with the rear wheels.
I also built a Frog Cortina 1/16 recently. That was meant to run on the floor with the exhaust pipe being the on off switch. It ran on Lino but very erratically going around a foot before stopping, then needing a light push to get it going again. Without any precision mounts for couplings or wheels and gears the idea was a disaster from the beginning as most were too heavy when built for those poor little motors.
I was considering building a Tamiya Lola T70 that has all the motorised pieces but probably won't. I have both an original and recent issue and though the latest comes with the battery box and related plastic parts it has no motor.
With a lot of these kits I dread to think what would happen to your wonderful Tamiya motorised F1 model should you not be quick enough to catch it before it fell off the table or collided with the skirting boards.
Great days of great kits, some ideas not so great.
Seeya, J.