Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 21 Sep 2017 22:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013 19:05 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

: --------------------
Just bought another of the Stanier coaches - this has the Mainline logo 'scrubbed off' and the Dapol logo stamped over the top...!

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013 19:30 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

The best source of info is Steve Knight's book "Let's Stick a Little More" all about Kitmaster/Airfix.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013 21:22 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

I have to ponder if Airfix scrapped some of the Kitmaster tooling when it was acquired (Much like Mongram did when it bought the Aurora tooling). Some of the locomotives haven't been seen since the acquisition.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013 21:26 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I've been following this thread with great interest as I too am fascinated by the provenance and history of some of the model tools from British manufactures. One guy, I know not his name, has done a few web sites in tribute to some of the greats like Triang, Airfix, Wrenn etc. You will have probably stumbled across some, if not all, after more than a cursory "Google" or two. Anyway, what's the relevance here? Well, on the Wrenn site a page appears showing a graph of where some of the toolings originated and where it ended up. Whilst interesting to me in general the accompanying text is of note in that it states that "many of the Kitmaster kits was destroyed by Airfix, including the coaches and Blue Pullman, through storage outdoors!".

I cannot say anything regarding the accuracy of that statement, but thought I'd mention it.

Oh, and the link: http://www.wrennrailways.org.uk/historyA.htm

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013 21:57 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Spudgun wrote:
I have to ponder if Airfix scrapped some of the Kitmaster tooling when it was acquired (Much like Mongram did when it bought the Aurora tooling). Some of the locomotives haven't been seen since the acquisition.

Well, as I understand it, that was exactly what was happening when Dapol stopped them and said that they'd buy the rest of the moulds.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013 22:04 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

Brews wrote:
Well, as I understand it, that was exactly what was happening when Dapol stopped them and said that they'd buy the rest of the moulds.

Mr Dapol (I forget his real name) was visiting Haldane Place when it is said he saw one of the Kitmaster moulds in the process of being scrapped. So yes, some of the tooling was lost, through stupidity (IMO). A lot of bad things happened during the General Mills/Palitoy era.

peebeep

RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2013 09:32 am 
Red Star
Red Star

In the absence of any comment from a Dapol source it would seem that nobody at Dapol reads this forum, which is a shame. They obviously could give some interesting information and answers.

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct 2013 21:57 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

David Boyle was the man himself - but it has been long time since he was involved...

The new near-RTR dapol corridor coaches are based on the 'Mainline' coaches - I have checked them against the Mainline RTR coaches I have and the detail is a match - and they are not as detailed as the Airfix RTR equivalents - even now..... :nod:

PostPosted: Wed 23 Oct 2013 14:29 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

These are the old Airfix stanier coaches, with the moulds cleaned up a bit, I assume they are the RTR ones but in kit form.

Taken from Dapols facebook page:

Dapol Ltd Hi John, no visible changes just re-furbed to make it capable of being produced. The tool is 40 years old, so it's not up to absolute modern standards but fair play to Airfix, it does look good for it's age!!

Dapol Ltd Hi Adrian, there are lots more coaches to come. There is the 57 foot non-corridor brake, 60 foot corridor composite and 60 foot corridor brake (for these we just need to get the tooling sorted for the corridor connectors). There will be 4 livery versions for each,- so another 14 coaches to come in total. In addition, as has been suggested, we will probably do an unumbered version of eachj as well so modellers can add different numbers at the leisure

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2013 20:18 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

the current Dapol coaches date back 20-30 years, no connection to Kitmaster. As for what happened to old Kitmaster ones, almost certainly dumped in Cardiff Bay. Some went to France and David Boyle retrieved some, but it was no easy task to identify parts. One classic kit that came back was the JCB and low-loader wagon. Bit iron ical as Dr Who is now filmed in Cardiff, and David Boyle was the custodian of Dr Who models when the BBC were not interested.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2014 09:53 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

: Model Portfolio
The current Dapol bags seem to be using the Kitmaster branding for them though...

http://railsofsheffield.com/dapol-60ft-stanier-corridor-composite-3934-in-lms-lined-maroon-plastic-kit-c101b-JJJA26459.aspx

And if I'm resurrecting the thread, I'll re-ask a previous question - anyone know the provenance of the non-Airfix, non-Kitmaster trackside kits in the Dapol range, like the war memorial and so on?

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul 2014 15:33 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Guru
: AMSIG member
AFAIK the war memorial, the horse trough, etc are their own originals.

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jul 2014 15:41 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

To add to the mixed history of the Dapol range, the war memorial etc are from the old Triang Model Land kits.

RML 8: Accessories Horse Trough and Inn Sign, war memorial, country stile and village stocks.

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul 2014 09:57 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Thanks Trainman!

Convoluted indeed - googling Triang Model Land brings up this page:

http://www.tri-angrailways.com/buildings.htm

which says that "They were manufactured by the International Model Aircraft Ltd. (part of Lines Bros.), who made such items as the Frog range of plastic kits".

Cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014 01:08 am 
Green Star
Green Star

There really does seem to be more diverging and converging lines of evolution/time travel than the ascent of man, within a Tardis ! :joker:

I bought some of the 1st series of Dapol knocked-down Stanier coach kits and the underframes were marked 'Mainline' (as in the RTR of Palitoy circa 1980) - being reasonably happy with the results - I waited for the Brake Composite to come out - the underframes had an Airfix logo scrubbed out .... :scratch:

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014 19:17 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

This gets more interesting at every twist and turn. It's well known that Airfix added their logo to the Loco kits (I'll quote the Biggin Hill as I have one). So what is the possibility that Airfix added their logo to a coach kit, but never issued it?

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014 20:46 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Looking at the stash at the weekend I realised I have one of the ex-Triang kits in Dapol form - it's RML-15 the "Tea Shoppe" reboxed as a Dapoland "Coffee shop" and rather underwhelmingly photographed from the back on the box top.

The contents are moulded in multicoloured plastic so "no painting required":

No longer in the Dapol catalogue (the box is dated 1990, so a generation ago). I wonder why? Put them out in cheaper to produce grey plastic and you'd think they'd sell as well as the old Airfix buildings. However well that actually is.

Paul

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014 21:03 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

PS - here's a current Ebay listing for the original kit. Equally underwhelming packaging but with the excuse of being rather older!

eye watering price!

Paul