Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 21 Sep 2017 22:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2013 11:01 am 
Black Star
Black Star

I,ve just starting out on aquiring some rolling stock locos and have obviously been on Ebay. There are a few of the above locos on there and whilst I can't be certain from the pics, they do seem not to be as detailed as some others. It might just be the pic, focus angle etc but I'm unsure.

I've read comments that the 'railroad' stock is not as detailed as the 'normal' stock.

Is this the same with the club locos or should I feel confident in buying knowing I'm not getting a toy?

Ally

PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2013 13:06 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: --------------------
: Group Build Guru
: AMSIG member
The collectors club versions are far more detailed, and come with a limited number certificate. Avoid those with out the certificate, if you're collecting.
If you're buying for running you'd be paying exta for detailing which can be damaged.

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb 2013 18:01 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

Thanks Fred. My first collectors club loco arrived today and I can confirm it's well detailed and most certainly not a 'toy'

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb 2013 18:18 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

Arrrggggg. Just ignore my above post, I got mixed up. The loco which arrived today is not a collectors club! I'll update when it arrives.

PostPosted: Thu 07 Nov 2013 20:12 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Allyg wrote:
I've read comments that the 'railroad' stock is not as detailed as the 'normal' stock.

Correct - but the Collectors club locos are usually drawn from the Railroad range - but not exclusively....
The Railroad locos are generally not as detailed or expensive as the main range locos and are a good basis for further detailing.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Feb 2014 22:39 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

It depends what you're talking about. The free 0-4-0 loco that comes with club membership is a cheap little thing that's not much more than a toy. That's equivalent to this year's Operation Torch set from the Airfix club.

Then there are the models available to club members exclusively for purchase. These are up to the same standard as the rest of the main range and it depends which loco you're getting. Hornby's range has steadily been upgraded over the past decade and you're pretty safe with any of their steam locos from the main range. These are equivalent to Dambusters Tornado or the Harrier First and Last sets.

Wants to be a model 'cause it's all he's got to say

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb 2014 06:12 am 
Green Star
Green Star

PayasYouFly wrote:
Hornby's range has steadily been upgraded over the past decade and you're pretty safe with any of their steam locos from the main range..

Alas not so - within the last 6 months they have adopted 'clever' production (their words) - which unfortunately seems to equate with economies made in construction - see latest 52xx, 72xx and Saint locos - which are not as good as 2-5 years ago locos.
:angryfire:

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb 2014 18:26 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

You're saying those new toolings are worse than the old tender drive locos that still littered the catalogue 10 years ago? I said pretty safe, not that you're getting absolute best.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb 2014 04:54 am 
Green Star
Green Star

No - not at all - saying that the stuff they have been making in the last year or so - is going backwards and is not as good as 2 years ago - which was magnificent - see their B1, Stanier 2-6-4T :wow: and LNER L1 Tank engines, for example, which were more than a match for the much-vaunted Bachmann competition.

The issue seems to be the cheapness of the production - with some detail inaccuracies - that would not have been tolerated (by themselves) 2 years ago - under the umbrella of "clever production".

PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb 2014 10:01 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Hell I've got their Gresley A1, A4, Thompson O1, and Class 31 diesel and know what their recent standard is. But I think you're being a rivet counter, and nobody likes a rivet counter :wink:

PostPosted: Mon 24 Feb 2014 00:15 am 
Green Star
Green Star

:rotfl: - so far wide of the mark on the rivet counter front - more of an unrepentant bodger :pirate: - it will be a while before you see any of my efforts on the RFI threads... :notworthy:

Seriously though, all the above mentioned locos, were produced before the period I am talking about, so will be excellent.
It's the production runs since then, e.g. GW 42xx 2-8-0 tanks and GW Star, with the former being quite heavily criticised - steam dome in wrong place and the lack of articulation in the 8-coupled wheelbase (contrast this with your 'earlier' O1)..
For the rivet counters amongst us - the Star has too few spokes on the bogie wheel....

I have the Stanier 2-6-4T, Railroad Mallard, Princess Margaret Rose from recent times, but am loathe to purchase their very recent stuff due to the bad press - even the mellow and even-handed NRM forum - has some valid criticisms - if the price of these items were cheaper it might be OK - but they are all in the £100+ price bracket...

Off to count some bogie spokes.... :Pilot:

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb 2014 01:03 am 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

: Moderator
: Model Portfolio
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
: Group Build Leader
The 2-Bil seems to have been about the only thing to come out of the new 'design cleaver' philosophy that has won widespread acclaim. It is a beautiful model as well inspires confidence for the upcoming Hal :pray:

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb 2014 13:03 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

With you on that - hopefully the new China suppliers will be able to match the excellent Sanda Kan stuff :notworthy: that was being produced.. :pray: :pray: :nailbite:

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014 20:58 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Some photos of the new Hornby 2-BiL (and the older Tri-ang offering - awaiting restoration - by way of a comparison).

I was about 4 or 5 years old (early-mid 1960's) the last time I went anywhere in a 2-BiL so I can't really say if they've reproduced it very accurately or not - but it sure looks good to me! :clapping:
Cheers
Al.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr 2014 21:14 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

I recently got another new Hornby gem, the Sentinel 4wDM shunter.

Great detail and runs super smoothly. Well worth the £56 RRP.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014 14:09 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

That's a beautiful looking little model - I didn't know Hornby did those! Is that bright blue interior correct though - it looks a bit garish. I still get annoyed with all of the main model railway loco manufacturers who go to great pains with the exteriors and details but then fail to either fit or even provide a driver (and/or second man or shunter which would be nice in this case).

Cheers
Al.

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr 2014 15:48 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Can't comment on the interior colour, but the camera flash makes it a bit more obvious. Not much room in there for anything though, seeing as it's mostly full of motor. It's a tiny engine.