Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Thu 21 Sep 2017 22:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan 2015 18:22 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

I have been an aircraft modeller for decades and do not have a clue about car modelling techniques and products but was wondering if anyone can advise me?

I have a collection of 1:43 diecast Police Cars and recently ordered Atlas Editions Regency Red 1:43 Jaguar Mk.2 from their new Jaguar Collection ( http://www.atlaseditions.co.uk/collecti ... r-Mk2.html ) at the £1.99 intro price with a mind to adding Inspector Morse's car cheaply to my line-up.

Unfortunately his has a vinyl roof and am hoping for suggestions on how to replicate that simply in scale ?

Des

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan 2015 10:29 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

An interesting challenge, especially at that scale.
I assume you want to try and depict the textured effect rather than just painting the roof a semi-gloss black.
One technique you could try is the one I devised for depicting the headlining material on my 1/32 VW Beetle, which is described here.
Finding a suitable material might be tricky at your scale but a variant of the technique might work. Try and find a polythene milk carton that has a surface effect that replicates the 'vinyl' (each supermarket seems to use slightly differing cartons). Mix up some black paint with an acrylic matte medium and paint this onto the polythene, trying to get an even layer. Leave to cure overnight and then carefully peel off the paint, it should come off in a sheet if you get the mixture on evenly. The underside of the paint will have taken on the surface texture of the polythene. Trim the sheet to size and use a very thin layer of the matte medium to stick it to the roof. I used this method to make the inner door panels of my crashed mini.

I cannot guarantee it will work for a smaller scale (try it on an a bit of scrap plastic first) but it might do the job.

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb 2015 22:49 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Some yoghurts come with textured foils that might be good for the purpose.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2015 11:02 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Here is a quick shot of an experiment I tried yesterday.
As I had some acrylic paint/medium mix left over from another project I spread a thin film over a bit of polythene from a milk carton (Iceland 2 ltr Whole Milk) that had a fine grain surface texture. I left it to cure and then painted on a thin layer of matt medium to strengthen up the skin.
Left overnight to cure and then peeled off the paint layer from the polythene.

I think it gives a fairly realistic vinyl effect that might just suit your needs, especially if you used a darker paint mix.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2015 17:02 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

: --------------------
One method I tried on a couple of 1/32 soft tops, was to attach a piece of tissue paper to the roof and use that as a base for the paint. I think I used 'Micro Kristal Klear' or some brand of white glue, which will come off easily in case it doesn't look right. And the paper was that bought from a stationers rather than a chemist, this should be less prone to stray fibres which would be a disaster in such a small scale. One extra problem you may have that I did not is the fact that the Jag's roof has quite complex curves.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015 21:15 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

I haven't tried it myself for this type of effect so try it on some scrap first but what about an application of Mr Surfacer coarse grade on the surface to be covered? Once dry it can then be painted the required colour. An old trick used to be to buff the painted surface with a cotton bud to give a semi-gloss finish. As I said, try it on some scrap plastic first.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb 2015 23:19 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Many thanks to all for their suggestions I will certainly experiment with them and see what happens.

The techniques also sound as if they would be very useful with my more usual aircraft modelling, applying paint onto the marbled milk bottle surface especially sounds as if it might work very well for providing the non-slip flooring areas in larger scale helicopters.

Regards
Des

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar 2015 22:15 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: --------------------
: Group Build Leader
: AMSIG Member
The paint on a milk bottle idea does sound good, I may have to try that myself.