Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 14:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2015 17:37 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Some people have been kind enough to express an interest in my model railway layout so here are the latest progress pictures. Unfortunately, my renewed interest in this has come at the expense of plastic airplane modelling, but hey, whatever is giving you the most fun in the moment, am I right?!

The main activity at the moment is track laying which involves a lot of cutting and joining and is very time consuming.

I am gradually replacing my old Hornby points (switches to you guys across the water) with the better made Peco ones. I am mixing Insulfrog and Electrofrog types. They will all be motorised eventually but I am concentrating on the more remote ones first, those near to the controllers are easier to reach and so will be hand operated for now.

This will eventually be the station area with four through roads and two or three bay platforms. I've populated it with some of my rolling stock - it will loosly be mid to late 60's steam to diesel transition (so I can run both!) set in the Southern part of England with some cross regional traffic as well.

This will be the diesel re-fuelling point - I have a nice plastic kit for this by a British manufacturer called Knightwing.

There are two roads (Up Main and Down Main) running right around the loft - approx 27 feet by 7 feet circuits.

These roads will be the loco depot for a mix of steam and diesel locos.

This is my temporary control panel for the points switches and detection indications.

The controllers sit on a very crudely constructed frame that I must improve before too long.

As you can see, there is a rather large chimney breast seperating the two halves of the layout which means not much will go on in that part as I have to squeeze between the triangular gap on the right to access the other half utilising a small set of steps and some moves that would impress a professional gymnast!

All for now, I'll post more as the work progresses - if anyone is still interested :ha:

Cheers
Al,

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb 2015 20:45 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
That looks wonderful Al :mrgreen:
I have a hankering to start on my railway again, but I need to do major loft clearance first :silence:

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015 10:29 am 
Two Gold & Silver Stars
Two Gold & Silver Stars

I just showed my wife this just gave me the look. As a kid i used to help one of my mums friends Husbands with his layout ( he had 3 daughters). I still go and have a play every now and again when i am in basingstoke. Its going to look great Al.

Builds Completed 2013=18 2014=14 2015=11 2016=8 2017=
IPMS Rivenhall (Mid-Essex Branch). Come and join in the Fun

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb 2015 11:48 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: Portfolio
A great work in progress , as every layout is, I can see many happy hours spent tinkering on it.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb 2015 17:18 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Excellent. I suggest you switch your fluoro tubes for daylight (or similar) ones, and you'll get a more natural look.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb 2015 17:32 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

It's bloomin' cold enough up there as it is Bruce, without having a natural, cold light - I'll stick with the cosy yellow glow of the fluoros ta very much :wink:

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb 2015 18:17 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Insulation and heating, Beany. Small space heater - problem solved. :)

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb 2015 19:15 pm 
Two Gold Stars
Two Gold Stars

Each time i view railway layout construction and running site, there is always a mass of rollin' stock and track, slips etc etc. I marvel at such collections. I have been following a thread of the construction of 'Lincoln Central' and its amazing the effort that's goes into such. It must take years to gather experience and the stuff required.

My hat off to you Beany . . .

Avro Lancaster Enthusiast.
Builder: RAF Station Grimsby diorama

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb 2015 23:52 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Lincolnlanc wrote:
My hat off to you Beany . . .

Thanks for that mate, but as you will see, I have a very Heath Robinson approach to most of what I do - and like me, it isn't pretty and isn't clever, but gets the job done!

I only had time for a quick bit of wiring on my points control and indication panel this evening. I just have two sets wired at the moment. These are driven via a capacitor discharge unit. It is the first time I've used one but I'm very impressed, and it only cost a tenner or thereabouts.

The CDU

The other unit is the points indication unit. All this really does is remember the last position the point control switch was driven to and then light the appropriate LED, I'm using green for normal lie and red for reverse.

The display LEDs need a 1K resistor in the return leg so I have commoned these up and soldered them to some old tag strip.

These are the two sets of points that are about eight feet away from the main controllers. The baseboard is just an old internal door so is effectively hollow ply sheet with corrugated cardboard strengtheners inside - ideal for cutting a rectangular hole in and just lowering the points solenoid attached to the track with wires soldered on and then fed though a hole drilled in the other side of the door.

If I'm honest I'm having problems with the LEDs not quite working properly so will have to hand trace my wiring to see where I've gone wrong.
When I'm happy I can then start laying in some more points that are wired and ready to go.

Cheers
Al.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Feb 2015 14:42 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

: --------------------
: Moderators
: Group Build Leaders
: GB Guru (Dan)
A Hymek, a Western, a Warship... and a lost Deltic :wink:

Looking quite "Western Region" with all those hydraulics, Beany. I really, really want to crack on with my own and I keep adding to the collection but it's all forming another, humungous stash. Oh waht to do?! I love that all of those locos and rolling stock that I drooled over in my pre-teens I can now go out and buy if I feel like it. I always did want an APT. Got one now. And Paula's ordered me an APT-E as a birthday gift. She got me the Hornby P2 for Christmas, too. She's a bit perplexed by the whole train thing but still indulges me.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb 2015 20:20 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Paula & Dan wrote:
Looking quite "Western Region" with all those hydraulics, Beany.

My regular haunt as a train spotter in the late 70's was Reading so I am biased toward a Southern/Western theme - the Deltic would be on a railtour!
I also spent ages hunting down an APT which I finally obtained via eBay. I had to have one as I used it for my technical project in college and scored the highest award ever given by that particular tutor - I nicked most of the stuff straight out of railway magazines and our in house newspaper, Railnews, but he said he didn't have a problem with that - it was the organisation of the material that counted!

I intend to detail my APT interior based on my memories of it from the testing trip I participate in with some colleagues from work - monitoring the ride comfort levels on 4 trips up and back between Preston and Carlisle. I took a few photos of the interior after everyone had got off. I think I may have to print my own decals of the different red (2nd class) and blue (1st class) tartan seat covering material. I hope you get to have your own layout before too long Dan. I seriously considered the loft space here before buying this house with a view to room for my layout.

Cheers
Al.

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015 15:21 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

I have always wanted to do something like this. What you've done is very marvellous! It looks well complicated and seems like there is a hell of a lot of skill involved. Its size and complexity is gobsmacking for someone as simple and new to this as me! Well done!

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr 2016 19:43 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Looks great, high time I got my layout built. Currently planning an end-to-end modular layout on 4' x 2' boards so that I can extend it as and when. Inspired by a certain branch line in my area and one I used to have a lot to do with in a previous job.

2017 target/built 6/8

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr 2016 20:10 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
waghorn41 wrote:
Inspired by a certain branch line in my area and one I used to have a lot to do with in a previous job.

Which one :?: Do tell :blob:

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr 2016 01:17 am 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

Looks as if its going to be a very impressive layout Al. I see a lot of future cursing happening sorting out "dead" area's, but will be worth it in the end. I gave most of my Model Railway away, to my Nephew, and started building a layout with his Dad, but that project stalled, over a year ago now. BTW, I see you live in Derbyshire, how far away from Ilkeston are you? As that's where I originally came from.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue 03 May 2016 16:30 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I'm in Chellaston Mike, 5 miles south of Derby. I used to help out with the air cadets over in Ilkeston. Small world isn't it - I lived in Brisbane for 5 years and made it down to South Australia to run a course for some technicians once (I'm a railway engineer) - I stayed in Glenelg for a few days and ran the course in a motel down there. I liked Adelaide too - the vibe of the plave felt like going back to the 70s!
Cheers
Al.