Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 13:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar 2015 21:12 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Here's the story.

Work is going well on my railway dioramas. However, I've run into a bit of a problem. My BOB (Western Pacific around this neck of the woods) locomotive is looking a bit silly on its own. It really needs to be lugging a coach (or two). I've trawled through the photos that I have for my local station and the coaches that are being pulled are all corridor composites. However, since some of the photos concentrate on the locomotive, I can't tell if the coaches behind the loco are in any given order. I'm getting the impression that a brake coach is always the first one behind the loco. Would I be right in thinking this?

PostPosted: Wed 25 Mar 2015 23:46 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

The Southern,region and railway,mostly ran their coaches in sets with brakes at either end thus
B3rd,compo,B3rd
B3rd,B compo.
This is just a simplification,sets could be any number of cars and also include diners,and they were always numbered on the ends.
If you want a specific set number,give me a call and I'll try to help.
Steve
P.S. whats a western pacific?
They were either Battle of Britain or West Country class or Spam Cans!

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar 2015 21:27 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Thanks for the info. I'll go with a corridor composite brake coach as the first behind the loco.

Western Pacific seems to be an abbreviation of West Country Pacific. They're all BOB class as far as I'm concerned. I'm no train buff, but I think it's got something to do with the Bulleid loco's and wheel configurations.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Mar 2015 00:55 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
Only Pacific refers to the wheel arrangements, 4-6-2 in this case...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_arrangement

Westerns were diesel locomotives. West Country and Battle of Britain were Light Pacifics (Merchant Navy Class were the heavy ones) :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_West_Co ... in_classes

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar 2015 11:13 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Thats the best choice really,even with a West Country/BOB you've got a complete train with a Brake compo.
What coach are you using,Maunsell,Bulleid or BR standard?
I should be able to sort out a prototypical number if you like.
Steve

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2015 02:46 am 
Green Star
Green Star

: --------------------
Spudgun - I have the answer, as these locos were regulars over the Somerset and Dorset (S&D) between Bath and Bournemouth - with many of the expresses originating from ooop North - such as the famous 'Pines Express' from Manchester.

This would allow the perfectly prototypical use of ex-LMS Stanier coaches - which are available either RTR or in an excellent kit form to build yourself...from Dapol...

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2015 20:33 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

At this time, I intend to build the coaches from kits. Since Kitmaster sold their kits to Airfix, I've got my eye on a couple of Kitmaster coaches. One will be the corridor composite 2nd class brake (No14). The other will be whatever I can get my hands on.

Since the colour photographs I have (With 92 Squadron in her BR black paint scheme) show the coaches were green, that's the colour they'll be painted.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2015 01:03 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Airfix never re- released the original Kitmaster coaches and I think you'll find out that the ones marketed as Kitmaster now are ex LMS types by Dapol.
These would be maroon and I love to see that picture of 92 Squadron in black,I've never seen one in colour,in black before.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2015 17:17 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

There's been some debate over the Kitmaster coaches. Read all about it here.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36829

Here's a link to 92 Squadron in all of its BR black glory.

http://www.34081.brushhouse.co.uk/pics/lge/056.html

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2015 20:03 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

I remember reading that thread a while back-in the late 60's early 70's we were crying out for Airfix to re-issue the coaches but the reply current in the magazines of those days was the tooling was too worn to use.
Now,92 Squadron,it's in BR standard green underneath a liberal coating of West of England grime!
The coach set,776, is 2xBSK,semi open and one CK.
The BSK's are 4313 and 4314 and the CK is 5757,all of which is Bulleid stock and slung on the back end is another Brake of some sort,for what reason I know not.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr 2015 22:50 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Sorry. I can't agree with the 'west country grime' here. So here's another colour picture from the same site (there are others in the Gallery).

http://www.34081.brushhouse.co.uk/pics/lge/051.html

More photos in the Gallery here:

http://www.92squadron.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015 00:14 am 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

No Sir,still BR standard green,you can see the orange/black/orange lining under the general coat of muck.
By the time these photos were taken cleaning was well down the list of priorities.
The only Bullied pacifics ever to appear in black were the first 5 or 6 Merchant Navy class and then only because it was wartime.
Steve

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015 04:30 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Yep - only ever painted in SR Green - then BR Green - notice the nameplate and plaque - these were often brightly coloured with white and yellow elements - they are also covered in grime.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015 06:53 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Well. Let's just say that you see green and I see black and we'll leave it at that.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2015 12:55 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

it is without doubt 100% br green in orange and black passenger lining close to withdrawl locos were seldom cleaned and bulleids were particularly grimy ( that photo is actualy fairly clean ) some were also drizzled liberaly in oil and had white water scaling to boot !

a re built merchant navy ( 100% guaranteed to be BR green ) it was just the inground filth that made them appear black

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/user ... uly-67.jpg

Last edited by Ratch on Fri 03 Apr 2015 13:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright protected image reduced to link