Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 12:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2016 05:20 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I have just returned from Birdsville in southwest Queensland and, as you do when travelling the Birdsville Track, learnt about Tom Kruse, the "outback mailman".

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Kruse_(mailman)

Kruse drove a 1936 Leyland Badger, that had been converted from 4 x 2 to 6 x 4, over very difficult and inhospitable terrain from 1936 to 1957. The Badger was abandoned on Pandie Pandie Station in 1957, recovered in 1993 and restored to as new condition between 1996 and 1999.
After watching a film made about Kruse, the Back of Beyond, the idea of replicating the Leyland Badger as a 1/76 scale model sprang to mind. The Matchbox/Revell Retriever would probably work as the chassis, suspension, etc and I could scratchbuild the rest. However, I would prefer to start with a ready made cabin and a set of plans would be helpful. The ATF search function and Google haven't produced anything so far.
Any suggestions will be most welcome.
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2016 09:04 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

You might be interested in this conversion from a Corgi Morris, if you haven't already seen it. I don't think anyone does a 1/76 Badger - usually, if Road Transport Images haven't covered it, it ain't been done!

PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2016 11:08 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Thanks for the tip. The model looks convincing but I suspect that it would be easier to scratchbuild than kitbash diecast kits.
RTI was my first port of call and the Leyland Lynx could be a possible starting point. Once again, scratchbuilding could be an easier option.
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2016 17:08 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

I'm also wary of touching diecasts for conversions, but then I go back to the original Dinky Toys/Mazac/rotting wheels era! Given how attractive the Badger bonnet/cabline looks, I'm surprised there aren't other starting points for a conversion. In fact, I'm almost sure I've seen a white metal kit in the past that might fit the bill, but its not one I ever added to my stash or kept the details of. Sorry can't be more helpful - vintage commercials are an interest of mine but tended to be limited to what I could point the camera at at UK shows!

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun 2016 13:18 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I have now heard back from Oxford and RTI and neither will be producing a 1936 Leyland Badger ever!
Therefore, I decided to start with a 1937 Leyland Lynx cab from RTI. It will require a fair bit of work but I think it will save some of the time and effort building the cab from scratch would have taken.
Cheers
David