Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sun 23 Nov 2014 14:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb 2013 08:59 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Administrator
: "Specials" GB Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member

Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11 A02058 ATF In-Box Review

ATF Build Review Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11 A02058 here

The De Havilland Vampire was the second jet fighter to enter RAF service, coming after the Gloster Meteor. Featuring a twin boom fuselage, which was to become a common feature of De Havilland designs, the Vampire proved a capable early jet fighter. However, by the early 1950s better fighters became available and so the Vampire was developed for alternative roles.

Starting as a private venture the Vampire T.11 trainer was developed from the NF.10 night fighter and first flew in 1950. Entering RAF service in 1952, the T.11 was immediately recognised as being an excellent jet trainer. Seating the student and instructor side by side enabled the student to be taught very effectively, with the good handling characteristics of the Vampire also aiding the learning process. The T.11 flew with the RAF until 1967, being gradually replaced by the more manoeuvrable Folland Gnat which was also more representative of new front line combat types. The Vampire had proved to be a great training aircraft, easier to fly then the Meteor T7 and other early jets, it provided students with a safe and stable learning platform.

The T11 also found widespread service across the world, with users as far away as the Royal New Zealand Air Force using the aircraft, along with countless others. Today a De Havilland Vampire T.11 still flies in the skies over Great Britain, flown by the Vampire Preservation Group.

Speed: 548mph
Range: 730M
Wingspan: 38ft (11.58m)
Length: 34ft 5in (10.49m)
Armament: 4 x 20mm cannon

Airfix would like to thank the Vampire Preservation Group for their assistance with this project please visit http://www.vampirepreservation.org.uk for more information.

Airfix 1/72 DH Vampire T.11 A02058. Images are clickable thumbs to high resolution .jpg files.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."
My Model Portfolio

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb 2013 09:23 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Some close up shots of some of the parts.

Cockpit

Instrument panel has no detail but a nice looking decal is supplied.

Undercarriage and wheels

Main wheels are slightly weighted

The wheels have a positive location tab, so can only be fitted correctly with the weighted side in contact with the ground.

Wings and panel detail. The panel lines are neat and very consistent all over the model, combined with recessed rivet detail.

There is a small area of shrinkage on the upper surface of each wing, limited to some sink marks on the flaps.

The flaps and ailerons are molded into the upper wing, the join being at the flap/aileron panel.

This results in a very fine trailing edge to the wing

Engine intake and trunking

Intakes are nicely molded and one piece

Trunking is supplied

Leading to a plate representing the centrifugal compressor

Underwing stores

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."
My Model Portfolio

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb 2013 21:04 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Having started the build, I've come across a couple of things which might need addressing. The aerial fit seems to represent the preserved WZ507 in it's current form (with the exception of two fittings from the top of the tail booms which are not included).

This picture of the nose insert with the gun apertures shows three fins (circled), which is consistent with this picture of WZ507

However, WZ590 "49" , the other decal option, seems to have ejector chutes for spent links and casings for the guns fitted, as well as the pole "aerial"(?) either side of the forward fuselage -picture. Which is also consistent with a vintage picture of XD593 from 1959

The starter set option - NZ5710 RNAF also has the ejector chutes fitted - picture

So it looks like it is essential to check your references and photographs when building to make sure you include or alter the features to make it appropriate for the aircraft you wish to model, as the model out of the box seems to represent the preserved WZ507 only.

My Model Portfolio