Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 27 Jun 2017 01:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014 12:20 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

couple of nice builds Chris - your paint finish has cleverly masked the cowl cannon bulge 'issue'

'Yellow 6' did also have underwing cannon in 'gondolas' as per the boxart - but not in the box ?

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014 12:42 pm 
Bronze Bar
Bronze Bar

: --------------------
: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Cheers buddy :thumb:
FalkeEins wrote:
'Yellow 6' did also have underwing cannon in 'gondolas' as per the boxart - but not in the box ?

Yes they were in the box but I left them off as I wanted a 'clean' 109G-6 :D

My WIP
My Portfolio

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014 14:26 pm 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

Johnsnz wrote:
What I don't understand from a 1st world perspective is if the Chinese Cad guys can talk to the CNC / EDM guys at Hobbyboss and knock up an accurate (or more accurate rendition) of the cannon breach bulges on a 109 G6 then surely the CAD guys at Airfix could have done the same??? Or would it take that much to retool the relevant sprues now that the immediacy of the situation has passed and produce something more accurate??

Not necessarily. If speed was of the essence then copying the existing kit would have been one way to make things progress rapidly. They may have even made use of laser scanning to get a basic 3D model. Once you have a tool, it's publish and be damned, because the cost of modifying or re-tooling can only be justified if your product isn't selling (accountants aren't fixated on accuracy, only sales). I'd be surprised (but delighted) if Airfix produced another 109G6 anytime in the near future. I'd buy one of these re-issues just for the decals, I have plenty of other 109 kits they could be used on.

peebeep

RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014 15:08 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: --------------------
: Administrator
: "Specials" GB Guru
: Model Portfolio
The Spitfire IX new tool actually had the fuselage halves mirrored, so the radio hatch appeared on both sides. This was spotted and the tool altered (the initial run used for the Airfix "Make & Take" kits so as not to waste them, apparently). I can see that it would be more straightforward to remove a recessed panel line, because this involves removing existing raised detail from the tool. With the 109, it would involve a completely new tool as the bulges are raised and so represent recessed detail on the tool, so you would have to add to the tool to get rid of the one piece bulge which I don't think is possible.

The 109G kit is a nice simple well fitting build that goes together to give a representation of a 109G, it's just not an accurate scale model of a 109G, rather like the much hyped Eduard 1/45 Bf.109G :Whistling: . For a pocket money kit, at the target market it is aimed at, Hornby will sell and make money from it. For the more demanding audience there are alternatives such as the FineMolds kits. You pays yer money and makes yer choice.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."
My Model Portfolio

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jun 2014 15:45 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
Gerry has shown how the beule can be removed quickly and appropriately.

I've built the Hobbyboss kit in these markings, but I wouldn't be afraid of the Airfix kit.

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun 2017 19:52 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Great builds !
:cheers: cheers, Ragnar

PostPosted: Sat 03 Jun 2017 00:52 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Portfolio
As an addendum, I bought this kit at Chrissy, then bought another Res-IM Bf 109G cockpit to address the kit's shortfalls :thumb: