Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 15:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 09:10 am 
Red Star
Red Star

I'm currently building heller Ferguson TE20, its a cracking kit

Does anyone know the best shade of grey to use, i have seen that Humbrol 64 could be close but i dont have it, and my only local shop has stopped stocking Humbrol tinlets, and i dont trust the colours on my computer

Anyone got humbrol 65? and does it look close-ish to TE20 grey

the closest i have found so far is probably Tamiya grey primer in a spray can :think: :think:

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 09:20 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: --------------------
: Group Build Guru
: AMSIG member
I actually met a man who was a manager at Fergusons when the wee grey was being built.
What he told me was - any shade of grey which the RAF or RN used in WW2. They bought war-surplus stocks cheap and used what they could get. Often the tractors came out of the factory with different shades of grey one after the other, it was even known for a tractor to have different shades on each side as the sprayers used from different tins, and the wheels were sprayed in a different area of the factory so they wouldn't match the body either.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 09:29 am 
Red Star
Red Star

Yeah i have read that somewhere in a previous thread fred, so i know i have a lot of latitude with this :juggle:
Some are very light grey some are darker, i supose i just need to pick one :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 09:48 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Personally; for light grey I would use Medium Sea Grey and for dark I would use Ocean Grey

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 09:58 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Humbrol 5 "dark admiralty grey" is close for a lot of preserved wee Fergies.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 10:32 am 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

Also known as the Wee Fergie or Wee Grey amongst many other nicknames

In about 1992 I was present at a special gathering of Ferguson TE20 tractors in the town of Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.
There were about 200 tractors. I was photographing it all for a farming and a vintage vehicle magazine.

Prizes were to be awarded for restoration, turnout etcetera.
The guest of honour to do the judging was a man who had been a senior manager at the Ferguson factory at the time the Fergies were being built. What he did not know about the TE20 could be written on the back of a 1/2p postage stamp

An argument developed between some men regarding which of their tractors was in the 'correct' shade of grey.
Would you believe that men aged 50 to 85 ended up in a fist fight over this?

The fight was broken up and the question of the 'correct' shade of grey was referred to the honoured guest.
I was part of the group standing next to him and he told us;
Any shade of grey which the RAF or RN used in WW2. They bought war-surplus stocks cheap and used what they could get. Often the tractors came out of the factory, one after the other, in different shades of grey, it was even known for a tractor to have different shades on each side as the sprayers, one on each side of the tractor, used paint from different tins, and the wheels were sprayed in a different area of the factory so they wouldn't match the body either. Sometimes the body sprayers over-sprayed the wheels as they did the body, so they might match that side. There was no masking of the tyres so they got painted grey too

So, that is the correct shade of grey to use on your Airfix or Heller kit of the very famous and still loved Ferguson TE20 tractor. It is the same shade of grey on the various implements supplied by the factory

I had a further discussion with the H/G about this and other things Fergie for the magazine report

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep 2017 15:59 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Worth noting for those with an airbrush and the correct primer is Zero paints "petit gris" ZP-1419 which will have been matched with a real machine, so it will be right for one Fergie at least!

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep 2017 02:11 am 
Red Star
Red Star

thanks for the advice :thumb: this is my selection which will be hard for you to see on computer screens
need to decide between the haze grey or the medium grey :fear: :scratch: :thumb:

to be honest i have never been bothered by accuracy in my models, but doing a kit for a TE20 fanatic has me worried, especially reading a thread about never building aircraft for people who have flown them, they will pick it apart :rotfl:

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep 2017 09:55 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

@robthepom - You have the chips. Can you get them to his Fergie, or at least to him, and choose the closest match to the actual machine, or the one he thinks is closest? Either way, he then can't complain because it's his choice of shade right or wrong!

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep 2017 14:35 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

he lives in liverpool i live in australia :boat: :help: :boat:

but i have photos on the way :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep 2017 23:02 pm 
Gold & Bronze Stars
Gold & Bronze Stars

: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
I too faced this dilemma last November when I took on this kit. Back then, Fred consoled me, as he then, like now, mentions that a wide range of light-ish shades of grey will look OK. With that in mind, I then just went for one that I had in stock, which, given me, being me, was a Revell shade of grey, as I primarily use Revell Aqua. I cannot now recall what is was, but in all probability 43 or 76 or a blended mix of the two

However, I did build mine as the red/grey variant, so only used and needed the grey for top cover and a few select areas.