Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Mon 25 Sep 2017 23:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec 2007 10:37 am 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

Red painted buffer beams. Anyone know when they (BR ?) stopped painting the loco/diesel loco buffer beams red ?. Why did they stop?, why were they red before ? ( as a visual sign of a loco approaching ? )

Get those symptoms checked NOW Look silly a dozen times, that next time might be the  important one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec 2007 11:29 am 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
IIRC some Class 08 Shunters still have red buffer beams  :o
Traction now has yellow panels on the leading surfaces. I believe things started to change en mass in the early 60's with the widespread introduction of diesel and electric traction, when it was decided that yellow is a better colour to be seen from distance  :wink:

Why were they red?
It would seem logical to me that the basic colour principles of railway practice were followed  :scratch:
Green = proceed
Yellow = caution
Red = stop
Loco buffer beams would indicate that other vehicles must be stopped short, avoiding collision  :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2007 04:51 am 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Ratch , that makes sense ... i read somewhere that yellow is one of , if not THE first colour in the spectrum seen by the eye and that is the reason that fire trucks are quite often painted yellow .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2007 12:46 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

Most noticed is matt black and bright yellow stripes. MOD trainers you will notice are black (gloss for maintenance reasons) with strategically placed yellow areas. They have found that black appears to be the easiest seen colour for an aircraft. med to light grey unsurprisingly is the hardest to see. It was found that red & white appeared grey at a distance, whereas black remains a dark grey. This colour works with birds too, a black silhouette of a bird of prey keeps other birds away more so than a whole range of other colours do. Possibly the shadow effect. Blue undersides of aircraft work best at a greater height, probably because they lighten to a similar colour to the background sky. So I don't suppose the middle eastern camo colour really mattered that much.

Get those symptoms checked NOW Look silly a dozen times, that next time might be the  important one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2007 13:16 pm 
Site Owner

That all very well for flying things, but on the ground our perceptions are quite different  :nod:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2007 13:25 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

No,  black and yellow is programmed in to our brains. Yellow and black = danger ie. poisonous . It is natural to be afraid of black things ( no I don't mean brown people ! ) thus we see them easier, because we are more aware. Red and yellow will work as well, because we have been taught that red is danger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2007 13:57 pm 
Site Owner

Black on it's own get's lost in the background  :nailbite:  it's the yellow that stands out on trains  :wink:  Most OTM's (On Track Machines) are painted entirely yellow, probably because they're used on Worksites  :nod:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2007 17:12 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

Yellow only gets noticed if the background is dark. You would pick out a black and yellow board even in a faiground. Notice the hi-vis jackets on the motorway, they tend to blend into the contractors plant and traffic in bright daylight, but show up better in bad weather. This is why railways tend to use the hi-vis red , yellow might get lost in the tree colours, red also stands out against yellow warning panels. On tunnel work we fitted the men out with yellow hi-vis with black crosses on, not one accident or near miss in two years. Above ground, now that was less safe ! ..  Above ground they all wore the usual hi-vis. It's an interesting area of real H & S. When most areas were faily drab and uniform Post Office red stood out from the back ground , as did fire engines. Once more bright colours were prevalent they stood out less. Cranes with black and yellow stripes still stand out , surprisingly even when dirty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec 2007 23:04 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

: --------------------
Have you ever noticed how at night red tends to  disappear when viewed under yellow lighting,in actual fact it appears as black thus rendering it useless as a night time safety colour,just thought I would stir the pot of ideas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2007 01:05 am 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

Yes those sodium lamps can do some strange things in certain weathers, they can hide vehicles in fog too ..... but they do make snow look nice ...  :lol:  :lol:

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb 2017 18:07 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

I have been reading reports about Humbrol RC 406 Buffer Beam Red (acrylic) with some people suggesting there has been a duff batch produced which is pink! Apparently no amount of stirring will turn it red. Some also say it's lumpy. I wonder if anybody can suggest a mixing ratio for making BBR with Humbrol enamels? Signal red is too dark and I think BBR is an orangy red colour. Phoenix Precision paints and Railmatch both produce a BBR but you need a bank loan to buy it.
Cheers