Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 19:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012 12:20 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Ratch:432444 wrote:
Telegraphist:432443 wrote:
As long as they give a reference number or code to colours used

No reference books give them  :geek:  It's up to the builder to decide which colours he wishes to use  :!:

Ahh i see now, (though i don't), it is just highly accurate colour pictures in the books, uniforms, equipment etc but no RML or other colour reference guide given to describe the colours. Least it saves me a few quid. Take it, there are no decent books out there with a reference colour guide to them? Finding a lot online but some data is far from accurate, any recommendations as to what sites are good and what ones to avoid please? Always plan B, get married to someone who is not colour blind.
Dave.

Airfix member 611607

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2012 17:08 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

: --------------------
: Portfolio
Instructions, and indeed many of Ratch's posts in this thread, say goggle lenses should be painted silver but surely this isn't correct? Clear glass (or tinted with a colour?) would be the way to go. perhaps using a clear varnish to make them stand out from the matt painted helmets etc.

Does anyone do this or is silver the usual way to go? If using a clear varnish what type do you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr 2012 07:39 am 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Steve M:432538 wrote:
Instructions, and indeed many of Ratch's posts in this thread, say goggle lenses should be painted silver but surely this isn't correct? Clear glass (or tinted with a colour?) would be the way to go. perhaps using a clear varnish to make them stand out from the matt painted helmets etc.

Does anyone do this or is silver the usual way to go? If using a clear varnish what type do you use?

I use the same clear gloss that I use for all brush painting; Model Master Acrylic.  At one point or another all kinds of tinted lenses have been used in pilots' goggles so you could use Tamiya "Smoke".  Clear blue, green, yellow could also be acceptable depending on what could have been available to the pilot. The US Navy had greenish and yellowish tinted goggles at one time or another.

Or gloss black.  Tinted sun glass lenses in 1/72 will look like nothing so much as gloss black because the tinted lenses in US issue goggles was very dark.

But most of the time for World War II I just put a daub of clear gloss.

You never forget your first tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr 2012 08:32 am 
Ayup Bravo...

The easiest thing for a 'Clear' look, is to put silver down as a base colour and put a 'spot'of something like 'Duck Egg Blue', Hu 65, in one of the corners or whatever, to simulate the reflection of light off them. or drill the lenses out and put a drop of Klear (or Gloss varnish) into them.
Completely Bonkers, and only really for Larger scale pilots, but there you go...

Have fun. Even in 72nd ! you'll just have to research pics of the pilots you want to paint to see what colour the Leather goggle surrounds are...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2012 21:48 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

verry helpful, thankyou :D

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2013 19:15 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Can anybody help me please as to the best colours to use for Luftwaffe ground crew uniforms in North Africa please. I have seen many photos which show all sorts of colours from black to sand, and light buff. What would be the best colours to use to paint the Airfix Luftwaffe ground crew in for the North Africa campaign :?: What would be the best paints to use to show the sun bleaching of fabric out there :?:
Dave.

Airfix member 611607

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2013 19:31 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
Dave, its not painting by numbers, its artistic licence :idea:
Choose the uniforms you wish to depict, whether they be black, sand or light buff. Pick a colour. Add/ dry brush some lighter shades to depict the bleaching of fabric :wink: Fabrics don't fade in a uniform manner. Each person's uniform will be different :!:
See my previous answer at the top of this page :smt024:

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2013 19:56 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

He's colorblind Ratch. Can't see 'em. Rods and cones not producing the required shades in the noggin. Es imposible ver colores. Needs a number or name or something.

dancho's model collection dancho's blog

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2013 20:50 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
I say again Dan, its not painting by numbers, unless you want a Britains Tin Soldier straight out of the box - in which case I don't know the numbers :dummy:

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2013 21:07 pm 
Two Gold & Bronze Stars
Two Gold & Bronze Stars

I don't know if Humbrol do a similar colour but Revell Aqua 06 Tarblack is a really good off-black that would be good as the base for a faded black. I'd then keep lightening it with a bit of grey and drybrush progressively as Ratch says.
As for sand coloured uniforms, from what I've read there was no standard and the effects of the sun more or less made everyone's uniform colour unique anyway. I've just used various shades of sands, beiges and ochres, etc. in the past until I was happy with the colours.
Some original colour DAK pics here http://www.warcolorphotos.com/war-in-africa
And German Luftwaffe pics here but 143 pages to go through http://www.ww2incolor.com/german-air-force/
Just go for it, unless you choose pink I'd challenge anyone to say you were wrong :)

PostPosted: Tue 21 May 2013 22:01 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Cheers for the replies troops, will stick to the usual Airfix depicted DAK armour colours of Hu63, 83 and 93 as the main tropical colours, maybe adds a bit of them to the black and go with that.
To me, shades of turquoise to shades or buff or beige, or grey (even light pink), all look the same. Reds, greens, browns are mostly the same, certain shades look other colours. I only ever see red, yellow and blue in rainbows, not the other 4 colours. Foxes are green, always have been.
Got a funny picture in my head of the whole Africa corp in deep, bright, glowing pink, including Rommel, cannot get that out of my head now.
Dave.

Airfix member 611607

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2013 13:58 pm 
Gold Star
Gold Star

Does anybody have a paining guide for US Navy pilots, namely for Airfix 02087 F6F Hellcat of Commander David McCampbell while he served on board USS Essex during 1944.
I have this iconic photo to go on that it was light colours but can anybody help me out please with exact colours please.
http://www.historicpalmbeach.com/eliot- ... institute/
http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/F6F-5/F6F-5- ... ll-01.html
Dave.

Airfix member 611607

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep 2013 06:59 am 
Red Star
Red Star

this can help you..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/ ... tsuits.jpg
http://segui-riveted.blogspot.it/2013/0 ... -421a.html
but there not a "exact colours"..light kakhy or buff can be ok..

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2013 14:58 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

Hu-72 Khaki Drill to Hu-121 Pale Stone are the perfect color range for khaki uniforms. For variety you could even use Hu-103 matt cream.

Hu-148 Radome Tan add even more variety and looks the part of USAAF pinks and greens as opposed to USN suntans.

You never forget your first tank.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013 13:23 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

It just occurred to me (yeah, I can be a bit slow!) that Airfix now supplies nice colour printed guides with all of their new kits. Wouldn't it be a good idea to put the pilot in the colour guide too? There's enough space, and I hate looking up Humbrol numbers all the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6