Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Mon 25 Sep 2017 05:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2014 21:03 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I have just built a conversion from the Modelling RAF Vehicles book and am wondering , was the timber deck painted the same as the rest of the vehicle or was it left in natural wood ? The same question for an Austin K6 converted to a bomb flat or for that matter any of the truck kits converted to the GS role ?

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2014 21:35 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

My understanding was natural wood, at lease Army Matadors were, hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2014 02:56 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Thank's for that , it will add a little contrast and I will have to learn how to create a realistic looking wood .

PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2014 21:51 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: --------------------
: Group Build Leader
Use wood! balsa and basswood are available from hobby shops, you can even use the wooden coffee stirrers from KFC, and they're free... :D

cheers,
Robin.

What's 'Decals', Master?...

PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2014 20:14 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

KIWI wrote:
was the timber deck painted the same as the rest of the vehicle or was it left in natural wood ? The same question for an Austin K6 converted to a bomb flat or for that matter any of the truck kits converted to the GS role ?

The timber in use was dark and was always painted with a preservative, there was nothing very uniform about the colour of each plank and even worse after repairs; it was normal to nail large wooden chocks onto the floor if moving wheeled items, consequently certain floor areas needed replacing more often than others. As regards the Austin K6 Bomb Flat it had a steel floor which would have been painted but very quickly scraped and scratched why steel? I have never found out !

PostPosted: Wed 21 May 2014 20:00 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Thamks for the additional information which is all useful . Begs the question , if the bomb flat had a steel deck how did they stop the bombs from rolling around ?

PostPosted: Wed 21 May 2014 20:11 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Bombs were chocked.

PostPosted: Sat 31 May 2014 14:01 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Quote:
As regards the Austin K6 Bomb Flat it had a steel floor which would have been painted

Guess I need to repaint my K6 bomb flat floor then ! Took me ages to get a 'worn wood' look that I was happy with :(
That RAF Vehicles book is a gem KIWI, I've done the K6 bomb flat, Matador flat bed (x2) and GS version so far.
Currently building the K6 crewbus and NAAFI tea car from the companion book 'Military Modelling'.

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun 2014 22:11 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

Buffalo wrote:
That RAF Vehicles book is a gem KIWI, I've done the K6 bomb flat, Matador flat bed (x2) and GS version so far.

Yes the book is very good, but often throws up questions, I have also started on Austin K6 with the crane, I looked for photos and they all seem to show a different crane from that depicted in the conversion, the conversion misses out the spare wheel and a window at the back of the cab as well as a box on the back between the chassis rails, however further into the book there is a Leyland crane truck conversion and the crane in that looks like the one in photos of the Austin. So that is how I will be doing my K6. This sounds like I am rubbishing the book, but not my intention at all, the book is the start and it is full of interesting info and it is probably one of the best books on modelling RAF vehicles. After using the tanks off two Bedford QLs for my towed tanker, I have the two QL chassis to put conversions one from the book and another type from photos .

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun 2014 15:34 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

ted angus wrote:
The timber in use was dark and was always painted with a preservative, there was nothing very uniform about the colour of each plank and even worse after repairs; it was normal to nail large wooden chocks onto the floor if moving wheeled items, consequently certain floor areas needed replacing more often than others.

Was the 'preservative' creosote Ted? If so, I'd be more than happy to use a black wash over the timber surfaces of flat beds, trailers, etc

Cheers

David

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun 2014 20:30 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

David, no not creosote- but I always do my vehicle beds with a "blackinsh" wash

TED