Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 00:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015 21:36 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

I'm building Universal Carriers and Loyd Carriers from PSC and I'm looking for the base colour they would be as used in NW Europe from D-Day onwards?

I have links to Mike Starmer's MAFVA site and have his books to know how to make the colours - its just knowing which colours were used!

For some reason 'Carriers' seem not to be covered as 'armour' or 'soft skinned vehicles' when describing British Army camo colours. Would they have been painted SCC 15 Olive Drab and what was used on Carriers immediately before this?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed 04 Feb 2015 22:20 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

I see this is now a new thread - thanks for sorting Moderators

Just realised this thread should be in Military Vehicles section

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb 2015 00:26 am 
Green Star
Green Star

The problem I have in establishing colours for Universal Carriers is that many model kit builders (and kit manufacturers instructions) seem to suggest that Carriers post D-Day were dark green (nothing like SCC.15 Olive Drab) and the same applies to preserved vehicles which come in all shades of green! So where did this suggestion come from.

By rights Universal Carriers built up to May 1942, should be G3 Khaki with/without G4 Dark green disruptive camo, followed by SCC.2 brown with/without 'black' disruptive camo, until April 1944 when SCC15 Olive Drab came in to use for new vehicles and those in need of a repaint.

Assuming a Carrier was not repainted in SCC.15 for D-Day there should be lots of colour options for Universal Carriers to be brown in kits and decal instructions, and a few colour photos too - but there aren't

PostPosted: Thu 12 Feb 2015 01:00 am 
Gold & Silver Stars
Gold & Silver Stars

There are a great set of contemporary color photos of British 4th Armoured Brigade vehicles taken in Holland in September 1944. To view them on the Beeldbank WO2 site go to http://www.beeldbankwo2.nl/index.jsp then go to the search tab and enter in the Author/Photographer field - J.A.H. de Haan for the full set. For a Sexton II SPG in SCC2 see Image Numbers 199635 and 199636. There is one photo in the set of a Universal Carrier that is green, Image Number 199645. There are also photos of what looks like a Daimler Armoured Car, that seems to be SCC15. The Shermans are all in US Olive Drab. The shades of color are distorted by time, so I would not use them to match, but you can at least tell green from brown!

There is a color picture of a Churchill Crocodile taken in August 1944, that is also clearly SCC2: Wikipedia

With every model I learn a little more... and then the next one takes longer!

My Portfolio

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb 2015 19:22 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Thanks Neil - very interesting link.

And by the way for anyone looking to paint a Universal Carrier or Loyd Carrier in SCC15 Olive Drab, I have found that spray cans of Tamiya Colour TS-70 Olive Drab (JGSDF) are quite a good match to the colour chip in Mike Starmer's book- British Army Colours that covers the UK, France and NW Europe.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2015 15:42 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

SCC.15 Olive Drab was a newly developed colour for use in operations in NWE. The British troops called it 'dark green' which is what it looked like compared to the American shade which looks brown. Hence when veterans are asked, as I have done, 'What colour were your vehicles?' "All dark green son " was the answer. I later learned to ask "Where and when" as this is very important too.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2015 21:43 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Mike, thanks for the reply regarding SCC.15.

Out of interest have you ever seen any Universal Carriers in SCC.2 brown, as I suspect many would have been built at the time this base colour was current?

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb 2015 18:53 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: --------------------
: Group Build Leader
Take a look at this site...
http://www.armouredacorn.com/#!references/c2hq
cheers,
Robin.

What's 'Decals', Master?...

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb 2015 20:08 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

SCC.2 brown would have been used from 1942 until early 1944 when SCC.15 replaced brown. Thus thousands of vehicles were still basically brown on D-Day and well after too. IWM picture TR 631 clearly shows a carrier in SCC.2 and SCC.1A in Tunisia during 1943. The 1A shade has bee applied in a sawtooth pattern along the upper and lower edges of the hull plates, which is in full accordance with M.T.P. 46/4A regulations. I believe that the picture may be online at the IWM website.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb 2015 22:32 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

Many thanks Mike.

And yes the photo is available to download

http://media.iwm.org.uk/iwm/mediaLib/31 ... hotographs