Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Sat 23 Sep 2017 20:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2015 08:01 am 
Red Star
Red Star

: --------------------
: Model Portfolio
....I rest my case....on two counts :lol: :D

The other thing is the consistancy of the paint. From what I've seen the paint used on ships is the consistency of paste...and not thinned down when it was applied.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015 12:38 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Paint is manufactured to differing specifications depending on purpose. The colour is immaterial, it is the 'medium' or 'carrier' that that determines the use. Vehicle paint may be a different spec. to that for a warship.

During WW 2 the War Office issued contracts to numerous chemical companies for differing types of paint all in a common colour for use on vehicles . I have photocopies of some of these. SCC.2 brown was supplied as 'paint, spraying, for wood and metal', 'paint, brushing, for wood and metal', and 'paint, bituminous emulsion, for canvas'. But August 1944, SCC.15 Olive Drab was supplied for all of the previous uses plus petrol proof, heat resistant for gun barrels and searchlights and general stores, i.e. ammunition boxes. Each specification had its own stores number in the H.A. range and these included the container size and whether it was required for shipping.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015 14:18 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Guru
: AMSIG member
Can I dive in with some info which may or may not help. I know this is about post-WW2 but it might help.
As a nipper in the 60s I used to frequent RAF Sydenham/RNAS HMS Gadwall/Shorts/Queens Island. There was a MU there. Buccanneers and Sea Vixens were flying in and out everyday. Shorts were sending up Skyvans, building or refurbing Canberras and a section was working on 'Blowpipe'. A lot of air traffic went through there daily.

My father bought an ex-Navy crew bus as the family car from there. He also got about 4 broken ones for parts. The crew bus was in dark blue overall. It was perfect match for Humbrol 15 as we used tins of that for touching up the paint work.
There were plenty of war-time vehicles still in use there. Cars, jeeps, trucks, refuellers, mixed with more modern equipment. Naval vehicles were mostly in dark blue. But I did see vehicles in a light grey and they were mostly used around the aircraft handling area, or for running between all the various units working on aircraft there, carrying supplies, crews, etcetera. Our crew bus was used for non-flying Naval personnel. Officers cars were in dark blue, and everyone used them, even civilians authorised to be working there. They were the hacks. The dark blue on the cars varied from brighter than H15 to darker than.
RAF vehicles were in DBG, but not allowed near the aircraft. Only the light grey vehicles were allowed.
Now I'd say the grey was like Humbrol 4.
Was the light grey an early form of hi-vis? bright enough to be noticeable but not overly so, dull enough not to be seen by enemy aircraft?

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul 2015 09:14 am 
Red Star
Red Star

Now that's interesting... The RAF always had a regulation that any vehicle on an airfield had to have a "high-visibility" marking, even in wartime- pre-war this would have been a coloured shape on the highest point of the vehicle (similar to the folding shapes that shipping sometimes use, just painted yellow, or orange); during the war, most stations used a piece of canvas painted yellow, draped across the bonnet, or roof; post war the yellow roofs appeared; in the cold war, the yellow stripes. Which eventually became yellow, self-adhesive, reflective strips. 'Tactical' (i.e. Harrier Force, Helicopter Field Force, Tactical Communications Wing and Tactical Supply Wing) vehicles sometimes had black, self-adhesive, reflective strips. Some Jaguar sqn vehicles also had this, as the expectation was that they would've operated from 'austere' bases (motorways and highways etc)

I'm reasonably sure that the navy would be the same, in fact I'm sure that post-war RN airfield vehicles were grey and orange, until the RAF became the authority for airfield operations, when everything went yellow, BS381c:356 'Golden Yellow' (Now BS4800: 08 E 51)to be precise. I think the standard yellow must now be BS4800: 10 E 53 'Sunflower Yellow' from observation.

...But all of this is postwar- the two pic's I referred to were both wartime photos with white wing edges and partial blanking on the headlights...

Post subject: R.N. vehicle colours.
PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2015 21:22 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

In belated back-up to the earlier thread on this subject I found these notes whilst trawling though a heap of papers for something else. One of my contacts researching FAA colours happened on the Admiralty Fleet Order 1808/37 entitled 'Motor Transport Vehicles- Painting'. (N.S./M.T. 249/37)
1) Grey paints for painting of motor transport vehicles at home should be so mixed as to approach as nearly as possible, when dry and varnished, the British Standard Colour No.32; dark battleship grey.
2) Shade boards will shortly be distributed by Naval Stores Officer, Royal Victoria Yard, Deptford, to each of the Home dockyards.

Dark Battleship Grey No.32 is very closely matched by Humbrol No.5 Grey.

TNA file ADM 182/ 110 bound volume at Kew
Admiralty Fleet Order 1993/42 23 April 1942.
'All motor transport vehicles (goods and passenger carrying) when due for repainting are to be painted Khaki Green No.3 (MOS Specification C.S.1429) or if not available Brown No.2 (MOS Specification C.S.1733) and all external bright parts are to be coated.'

Khaki Green No.3 was by 1942 being phased out of use and replaced by SCC 2 brown, Brown No.2 being R.N. nomenclature for SCC.2. Thus R.N.vehicles were the same colours as army vehicles. Note that there is no mention of any disruptive painting.

From previous information, in 1946 R.N. vehicles now in Dark Blue BS.No.7 but I don't know whether the grey gave way to Dark Blue pre-war or whether this was speculation on someones part that Dark Blue was actually used pre-war.

The next note I discovered is for R.N. vehicles post -1954. Bedford TK type with fire engineering and bodywork by HCB-Angus, 'All exterior paintwork is to be high gloss BS.381C: 106 Royal Blue coated with one coat of high gloss varnish. Locker interiors to be BS.381C: 361 Light Stone.' There is no mention of cab interior colour. Please note that the No.361 Light Stone is NOT the same colour as the 1930 issue Light Stone No.61 of wartime use. (You do realise that British Standards Institute did this deliberately just to mess modellers about don't you?)

However in TNA Avia 54/1037 there are lists of the colours to be used by all services. This list was issued after 1948 since all of the BS.381 colour numbers have three digits. Although not dated it must be a 1950s list. For RN. Vehicles, Royal Blue No.106, navy stores no. 4972A

That is it so far. No doubt something else might surface in due course.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2015 22:02 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
Mikestarmer wrote:
You do realise that British Standards Institute did this deliberately just to mess modellers about don't you

:rotfl:

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov 2015 01:25 am 
Green Star
Green Star

Mike, did Admiralty Fleet Order 1808/37 precede the one you mention below it from 1942?

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2015 21:59 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Yes, AFO s are issued yearly I think. The year of issue is the last two digits after the / (19)37 precedes (19)42. The same goes for ACIs, Middle East G.O.s and AMOs all were issued yearly stating with No.1 in January. The usual procedure is to issue an action or preliminary advice letter once a change had been adopted then the more formal documents with those decisions were written up into the ACI or whatever. These then would be promulgated in batches over periods of time. You might have 5 or more all issued at once covering all the changes and amendments since previous issues. These documents covered every aspect of service procedures, issues, training pay and much more. The most recent that I read had a list of stores numbers for paint for warships but the preceding item dealt with ice cream, recipe for, scoop sizes, containers stainless steel and ships scale of issue. All good fun and quite enlightening too

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug 2016 23:11 pm 
Green Star
Green Star

From the IWM archives a Victory Parade in 1946 showing of all things RN Daimler Dingos, it what appear to be aa grey colour at 06.18 minutes in to the colour movie film!

But then some RAF Dingos also go by in RAF Blue together with some RAF trucks, so perhaps they were spruced up just for the show.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/ ... 1060018244