Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 01:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mine clearing rollers
PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016 21:40 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

: --------------------
Have a mine clearer tank with the rollers attached to a frame on the front wondering what colour to paint the actual rollers having endured numerous mine explosions
Cheers Sean

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2016 14:48 pm 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Do you have the ESCI 1/72 Churchill Mk.IV AMRCR? I believe the kit represents a Mk. III. Your question is not about what color the vehicle was painted - that would depend on theatre - but how to represent the battle damage, right? That is an interesting question. Will the damage be from burn, blast, or fragments? The answer will depend on which mines are being detonated - Italian, German . . . British? The most common German types were "S", Shu, and Teller. I'm going to think about this, but I'm thinking that frags would only cause bullet-sized damage (photos of human encounters with these mines can be pretty uncomfortable viewing - but with armored steel the effects would be much more subtle).

No, I don't have an answer, but tell me more about what you are doing and hope to achieve and I will be happy to help you speculate (if we get going well, then someone who knows might chime in).

Happy modelling!

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2016 20:28 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

Yep that is the one ESCI got it back in the 70s I think . I got it in the Seigfred Line set with a Quad Tractor and 2 German tanks with a vac formed diorama base. Takes me back some years as ESCI were very good models. I am painting in desert scheme .

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2016 04:17 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

The Teller mine was filled with 5 1/2 kilos of TNT. I doubt there was much incentive to make it pure and clean burning. My guess is that these mines produced a bunch of smoke and carbon. I wonder whether the AMRCR rollers might look authentic with a few streaks of bright steel, but an overall appearance of soot? Then again, these things would also spend most of their desert lives caked with a thick layer of sand.

Happy modelling!

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2016 20:41 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I presume that you intend using your Churchill mine clearer for war games since these were actually not used in service having been found to be too heavy and cumbersome in use and development was abandoned in 1943.

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr 2016 14:03 pm 
Silver Bar
Silver Bar

: Group Build Leader
: Airfix Modelling SIG Member
You don't get much soot from TNT. You might get some from a wooden box mine, though.

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr 2016 03:19 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Alright, Brews. I just put "Vehicle landmine damage" into the search engine and looked at images. You are right 9 out of 10 times - the damaged area does not appear to be blackened in most examples. I'd say the vehicles look torn apart, but not discolored.

Am I right in saying, "What we have for you Sean is a mine-clearing vehicle that wasn't employed in action, but if it had been it wouldn't have been discolored by exploding mines."?

You learn something new everyday if you visit ATF!

Happy modelling!

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2016 16:58 pm 
Black Star
Black Star

Many thanks for that it will be a display model so may do it with the rollers as a what might have been
Sean

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2016 20:28 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

Why don't you paint it as it was, SCC.2 brown with RAC flashes on it as the trials tank?