Airfix Logo

Humbrol Logo

The Airfix Tribute Forum was established in April 2006 to discuss the making of Airfix models.

Email: admin at airfixtributeforum.co.uk

It is currently Tue 26 Sep 2017 01:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jul 2015 12:08 pm 
Site Owner

: Site Owner
: Administrator
: Group Build Guru
: Group Build Leader
: Model Portfolio
I'm looking to replicate this picture :arrow:
The 20th Brigade was formed from the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry, the Gloucesters and the 2nd Northamptonshire Yeomanry. They were camped at Ogbourne St. George near Marlborough, Wiltshire. During this period the 2nd trained with Universal Carriers (Bren Mk I), Valentines, Crusaders, Matildas and Stuart Honeys. Reg Spittals was a tank commander and his notes say camouflage was 2-tone green with black and yellow streaks. Can anyone throw any light on this scheme :help: Could he be thinking of No.2 B.S.987C-1942 Khaki Brown / No. 1A B.S.987C-1942 Dark Earth, but where do the black and yellow streaks come in :shrug:
Also I'd like some 20th Brigade tactical markings :pray: I've looked on Millicast but can't see any :cry: Does anyone know of a source :?:

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jul 2015 12:56 pm 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I suspect that an enquiry to Mike Starmer would get you the best analysis of Reg Spittals' camouflage colours. I seem to recall that Mike released a set of markings for UK based units. You may be able to kill two birds with one stone.
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul 2015 17:22 pm 
Red Star
Red Star

I have the 20th A.B. sign on my 1/76 decal sheet. PM me for details. Since the colour is said to be two greens, then Khaki Green and Dark green may be the colours in late 1941-42.

PostPosted: Fri 20 May 2016 16:02 pm 
Yellow Star
Yellow Star

Can anyone out there advise me on the correct colour for a Mk.1 Terrapin. I know that they were used on D-day as well as the Rhine crossing. Details for markings would also be a help. On reflection, as this was an amphibian, should it be posted in the Ships part of the forum? I'll leave that to your judgment.

Post subject: Re: Terrapin Mk 1
PostPosted: Fri 20 May 2016 22:35 pm 
Blue Star
Blue Star

: --------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrapin_ ... us_vehicle)

http://forum.ktr.nl/index.php?topic=1365.0

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/history ... jaards.htm

Color probably: SCC15 Olive drab (British)

Gerhard

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2016 08:27 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I believe that Terrapin production ran from 1943 until 1944 so there's a good chance that they were finished in SCC2 (brown) rather than SCC15.
The feared shortage of DUKWs didn't eventuate and Terrapins weren't required for D-Day. They were used in the River Scheldt operations and the amphibious assault on South Beveland.
Terrapins were used by the Royal Engineer Assault Regiments of the 79th Armoured Division so they would have had the bull's head divisional sign and blue AoS sign (I don't have the number at hand). A photograph of a Terrapin in Geoffrey Futter's "The Funnies" shows the number P5518598, the name CORUS and a triangular, two-coloured flag painted on the hull.
It seems that the official nomenclature for the Terrapin was Amphibian, 4 ton 8 x 8 GS, Morris-Commercial. One that made it to the Australian Army was recorded as Morris, Truck, 4 ton, Amphibian. That suggests to me that you have picked the correct place to post your question :)
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2016 08:49 am 
Bronze Star
Bronze Star

Is it just me that sees something of the origin of the Stalwart in that? Ok different number of wheels, but axle spacing and even something of the bodyshape screams 'Stally' to me ...

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2016 10:32 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

I'm not all that familiar with the Stalwart but I think that it was one of the Saladin, Saracen family.
The Terrapin was a very rushed, simple design with only the balloon tyres for suspension. Although it had a rough ride and awkward load carrying space, the Terrapin was mechanically reliable but no competition for the more capable and mass-produced DUKW.
I think that the similarities between Stalwart and Terrapin are probably coincidental but someone will probably come up with a link :wink:
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul 2016 09:11 am 
Silver Star
Silver Star

It seems that the Landing Craft Recovery Units (LCRU) were each equipped with a Terrapin. That means that it is entirely likely that there were at least a couple of Terrapins on the invasion beaches by late on D-Day with more landed over the next two days. There were 12 LCRUs so there could have been 12 Terrapins on Sword, Gold and Juno by D+2.
Cheers
David